VOGONS

First post, by RobDos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm building a 386DX 40 system and I have two cards I can use in it,
One is a SB Awe64 Value and the other is a Sound Blaster 1.5 or 2.0 clone Protac AV202P3 8 Bit sound card.

The card seem to be identical to the one mentioned here: Protac AV202P3 - Can anybody tell me *anything* about this card and how to get it working?

I'm leaning towards the clone, since most of the 386 games will not likely support the Awe64 features (or am I misinformed here?)

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    213.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

P3 Slot 1 - 512MB PC100 - 128GB SSD - RADEON 9200 SE , SB Awe64 ISA - GOTEK MOD

Reply 1 of 5, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From these two, I would definitely choose the clone. With 386, you really want good OPL sound, and AWE64 is a disaster in that regard. On the other hand, that big "74LS631" chip on this Protac card is probably 100% OPL2 clone.

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn't the Protac a Thunder Board clone ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have to agree with sledge, go for the SB 2.0 compatible clone sound card, the ideal scenario for AWE sound cards is between late-486 and Pentium III computers. The only consolation in this case is that reverb and chorus can be applied to the CQM FM synth thru AWEUTIL.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm also voting for the 8-bit card.
Games with AWE support are 1994+, like later versions of Doom/Doom II, runnable on a 386, but slow.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're an audiophile or fan of trucker music, use the AWE.
The EMU 8000 is supported by Impluse Tracker, so the CPU is freed from the task of mixing and up/down sampling.

The 8-Bit Soundblaster and the Thunderbird are neat for testing purposes, for best AdLib/OPL2 compatibility.
Don't throw the Protac away, please - it's rare and has extra DSP commands over SB 1.5/2.

The original 8-Bit Sound Blaster also have the correct PCM/FM volume ratio.

Clones don't, often. The Protac doesn't, either.

That's why a 16-Bit card with a programable mixer comes in handy.
It can fix the volume levels, balance them out.

The OPL3 also has 4-OP mode and isn't timing sensitive.
It may work better with EMM386 and other memory managers which cause timing hick ups.

Edit: MIDI music in Windows will also sound way better with a 16-Bit soundcard.

The 8-Bit cards don't have an MPU-401 MIDI interface, at all.
Merely SB-MIDI. The AWE has at least an emulated MPU-401.

And it can also simulate General MIDI and MT-32 via DOS utility.
So you can play Monkey Island with better music, for example.

Games like Mega Man X and Descent can use the AWE's EMU 8000 chip directly to play music.
Not sure how well these run on a fast 386, however.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//