VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an Audigy 1 installs via PCI along with my ESS 1869 and Dream Blaster x2GS midi device on it. In Windows 98SE when playing a DOS game, audio seems to be routed through the Audigy card. I tried setting the ESS and it's MIDI port to the preferred deice in Multimedia section of control panel and even "use only preferred device" option is ticked and it still happens using IRQ5 DMA1 I/O 220 of my ESS card! I tried completely disabling the Audigy in device manager and I lose DOS sound but Windows sounds seem fine if I remember correctly. How can I completely get rid of the emulation that's occurring?

Reply 1 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What motherboard are you using?

There are certain chipsets (e.g. nVidia's nForce) that don't allow proper sound card compatibility with DOS games under Windows 98.

If it's not a motherboard chipset limitation, then I would then try fully removing and uninstalling the Audigy and testing only the ESS-based card.

Also confirm that the ESS-based card is in fact functional, either testing under pure DOS (e.g. DOS 6.22) and/or in another system.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2023-02-07, 17:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 8, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just boot into DOS when I want to use my ESS exclusively. In Windows, I have my Audigy 2, as preferred device, running pass through my ESS with a jumper cable. I don't see any reason to run the ESS in Windows, but can if I want.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 3 of 8, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-02-07, 17:32:

There are certain chipsets (e.g. nVidia's nForce) that don't allow proper sound card compatibility with DOS games under Windows 98.

That's true, but I don't think any of the nForce chipset boards have ever had an ISA slot.

Reply 4 of 8, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ended up never getting it sorted and just removed the Audigy card. It's a 440BX board so I figure it should have worked. The Audigy drivers after making several tweaks to resources and such to try and get it working in a selective manner ended up crashing explorer.exe like crazy so I just removed the card. On a side note there are NO uninstall options for any of the Creative software that I can find...ugh!!!

Reply 7 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
9646gt wrote on 2023-02-08, 13:06:

I ended up never getting it sorted and just removed the Audigy card. It's a 440BX board so I figure it should have worked. The Audigy drivers after making several tweaks to resources and such to try and get it working in a selective manner ended up crashing explorer.exe like crazy so I just removed the card.

If the VxD driver was installed, there should be a separate driver for the SB16 emulation in the Device Manager and this can be safely disabled.

On a side note there are NO uninstall options for any of the Creative software that I can find...ugh!!!

Did you look in the "Add/Remove Programs"? I was able to uninstall any Creative software in the "Add/Remove Programs" setting.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 8 of 8, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-02-08, 13:30:
If the VxD driver was installed, there should be a separate driver for the SB16 emulation in the Device Manager and this can be […]
Show full quote
9646gt wrote on 2023-02-08, 13:06:

I ended up never getting it sorted and just removed the Audigy card. It's a 440BX board so I figure it should have worked. The Audigy drivers after making several tweaks to resources and such to try and get it working in a selective manner ended up crashing explorer.exe like crazy so I just removed the card.

If the VxD driver was installed, there should be a separate driver for the SB16 emulation in the Device Manager and this can be safely disabled.

On a side note there are NO uninstall options for any of the Creative software that I can find...ugh!!!

Did you look in the "Add/Remove Programs"? I was able to uninstall any Creative software in the "Add/Remove Programs" setting.

I did...There aren't any entries created I guess when using the Audigy 1 CD from the XP era for some reason.