VOGONS

First post, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, now I have a clone of an unusual bit of hardware, it's time to put it through its paces. Dune sounds stellar, SimCity 2000 sounds great - so what more is out there...

Googling around commonly ends up with two lists:

MobyGames has a long list: https://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/dos/tic,1/ti,76/
Unfortunately the vast majority of games on here just have generic OPL3 support which of course also works on the Gold, but is not specific to it.

VGMPF has a much shorter list: http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Cat … _1000_For_Sound
These are games that use the Gold specifically for sound effects. Not many.

Still, within a day of playing around I hit a game not on either list that seems to belong there:
Sid Meier's Colonization.

The DOS version is a Microprose game from 1994 with separate music & effects. The music setting doesn't ask for resources for the Gold and clearly defaults to the same OPL3 0x388 default as the Sound Blaster Pro or PAS. But it also features a 'GOLD Sound Standard' setting for 'sound' as well. Now, this does need resources set and wants I/O, IRQ and DMA. I/O is in a Soundblaster-like range (0x210 to 0x2c0), which I couldn't quite place, as my gold was set to 0x388 (or higher). But setting it to 0x220 and choosing correct IRQ and DMA gave me digital audio. The audio itself sounded exactly the same as the Soundblaster DA - but I wasn't running any form of Sound Blaster emulation (GS2.EXE), so it had to be native AdLib Gold.

Am I correct in that reasoning? And is this news, or is there some other, more authoritative list of AdLib Gold games I somehow managed to miss?

Intriguingly, that other 1995 Microprose 4x game, Master of Magic, has exactly the same sound selection options as Colonization. In the place where you can select GOLD Sound Standard with Colonization, there's "Not Applicable" listed in both music and sound options. If I have time soon, I'll be taking a look and a listen what happens if I select those...

Reply 1 of 1, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've looked for listings of Adlib Gold supported games, but same as you only found the VGMPF lists.

Not listed on the VGMPF lists is Beneath a Steel Sky. The game does have a specific Adlib Gold option in the sound settings. Haven't tried it yet with the Gold though.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards