VOGONS

First post, by reezo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I have lurked on the forums for a while and decided to join. Thank you - first and foremost - for the great help, wisdom, and resources that are contained here!

I have a question about the audio cards that used the AU8830 chip and general the A3D spatial sound features:

Would it be possible to place a sound, maybe in real-time through the line in, into a spatial rendition of the A3D? In real-time from the line input, it would be awesome (given some buffer) by coming out of the line outputs. Or even using a mono WAV file and having it move in a virtual space?

I have never had an audio card like that, back in the day. I am not sure something like that is viable, or if the A3D engine required specifically the game developers to write the audio engine specifically for A3D. In other words, does A3D work something like "Windows Sonics for Headphones", or SBX, DTS:X etc. in a way that I can apply it to a stereo signal for some virtualization, or is it only accessible and enjoyable if a developer writes content (e.g. a game) specifically with A3D in mind?

This spins a second question off: can any old game benefit from A3D spatialization or do I need a game that has some kind of "A3D ON/OFF" switch in the preferences?

Thanks in advance,

Reezo.

Reply 1 of 7, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Reezo, I guess this is not how A3D works. It is not just s spartializer to convert any audio source into a wider stereo field /pseudo surround like SRS WOW, Sensaura etc.. A3D needs direct implementation/support from the game because A3D uses the 3D world model data of the game to compute a dozen of audio streams in realtime regarding your avatars position. So it is real positional audio and advanced to other simple spartializers. Games supporting A3D are Unreal, UT99, Half-Life, Quake 3 and some more.

Reply 2 of 7, by reezo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2023-02-26, 22:25:

Hi Reezo, I guess this is not how A3D works. It is not just s spartializer to convert any audio source into a wider stereo field /pseudo surround like SRS WOW, Sensaura etc.. A3D needs direct implementation/support from the game because A3D uses the 3D world model data of the game to compute a dozen of audio streams in realtime regarding your avatars position. So it is real positional audio and advanced to other simple spartializers. Games supporting A3D are Unreal, UT99, Half-Life, Quake 3 and some more.

Thanks for the explanation. I get it, now. Even if rudimentary, does any software exist that can place a sound in a pre-made environment for A3D? I noticed for example the demo player had the possibility of loading WAV files in it, it made me curious about having some software in which you could place sounds at specific positions, in a fixed acoustic environment.

Or maybe a whole development environment like, say FMOD? Design the acoustic space first and then place audio events in it. Play it through the line out and record it with another device.

I know these are just speculations, I am feeling creative on something that might not do what I want, but maybe it can 😉

Thanks again for your help!

Best,

Reezo.

Reply 4 of 7, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://winampheritage.com/plugin/a3d-output-plug-in/63231
Dont know, about this url.
But is known good plug in for winamp... in 2k year.
you can try to play video through winamp, but not the modern mkv-container.
Just .avi

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 5 of 7, by reezo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This seems very interesting! Plus, Winamp=love 😀

I'm still hunting for a good A3D card here in Germany/EU, so I have time, but I definitely want to build some kind of Pentium (3?) or a DX4-100 at worst. I remember reading the A3D stuff for the games it was made available to, was a bit heavy on the game performance, so I think a P3 would be nicer.

I never had the chance to use an AU8830-powered card, when I was a teen, so this would be quite a nice ride. Playing Thief with it and those epic games, is going to be a nice ride!

Reezo.

Reply 6 of 7, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
reezo wrote on 2023-02-27, 15:32:

but I definitely want to build some kind of

one-game-PC.
From this list
https://members.optusnet.com.au/kirben/3dsoftware.html

I am used Vortex just for playing
Dungeon_Keeper_2_-_cover_art.jpg
PS. A3D v2 is amazing, but too few games were published

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 7 of 7, by reezo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-02-27, 15:55:
one-game-PC. From this list https://members.optusnet.com.au/kirben/3dsoftware.html […]
Show full quote
reezo wrote on 2023-02-27, 15:32:

but I definitely want to build some kind of

one-game-PC.
From this list
https://members.optusnet.com.au/kirben/3dsoftware.html

I am used Vortex just for playing
Dungeon_Keeper_2_-_cover_art.jpg
PS. A3D v2 is amazing, but too few games were published

Absolutely 😀

Reezo.