VOGONS

First post, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to post this as I don't see a ton of love for this card on here, but its awesome! I wouldn't sleep on it especially for its price. I've played around with several cards and card combos at this point and so far everything has been either a pain or didn't do something I needed. I had an ESS for awhile, but really the only thing that card did well was OPL, line out was too quiet, and the speaker out amp sucked. Plus cant do 16bit which I really need and 8 bit has a ton of hiss in games like The Dig and Discworld. Played around with lots of SB 16 cards, but I have a sound canvas and every one I could find had hanging notes. Which meant I was stuck using a dual card setup with the ESS, and that always created its own headaches.

Finally I just decided to try the CT4500, they're really affordable on eBay. It's perfect for what I needed. The wave output is sooo clean and noise free, The Dig sounds like a movie. No note bugs, and routing the sound canvas through the line in outputs a clean sound with good bass. Playing Discworld using the SC for music and 16bit AWE sound effects is an audio experience I didn't think was possible from this era of gaming 🤣. The built in EMU8000 Synth is just OK, I played with it a bit, but since I use a sound canvas it's basically irrelevant for my use case. And yes, no real OPL, but at the risk of getting attacked, I think the CQM in the 64 sounds fine. I don't play many games that need the OPL, mainly just Dune, and frankly I think it sounds good enough to not deal with a dual card setup. Anyway that's my speech, don't sleep on the value! For $50-$60 I think it's a really hard card to beat for late DOS gaming.

PS, god bless UNISOUND, its a dream tool for these cards

IMG_1805.JPEG
Filename
IMG_1805.JPEG
File size
835.57 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_1806.JPEG
Filename
IMG_1806.JPEG
File size
839.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! The EMU8000 is also supported by a couple of MOD trackers. Impulse Tracker, most famously.
Others are AMP for Windows or AWEamp et cetera ..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AWE64 is a great card. Clean output that is far better than earlier generations of Sound Blasters and native SB16 / AWE32 compatibility is perfect for Pentium-era DOS systems.

My favorite DOS sound card setup is pairing an AWE64 Gold with a Gravis Ultrasound Extreme. It's like having four sound cards. The GUS Extreme covers SB Pro compatibility (via its ESS1688 chip) and native GUS support. And the AWE64 handles SB16 and AWE32 support.

I also agree that genuine OPL isn't really that needed if one is primarily using either General MIDI or CD audio for music. Genuine OPL support makes more sense for late 80s or early 90s gaming, but by the time Pentiums were a thing, digital audio was supplanting the need for it.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 9, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the ct4500 was my primary card back in the day. after a decade i eventually upgraded it to a ct4540 which was a slight, but noticable improvement. currently i'm using an azt-2320 card which is not dissimilar to the awe64, sans the sb16 support (although replacing it with sbpro, wss and probably licensed yamaha opl3). it's also dirt cheap and, next to the opti, one of the most prevalent isa cards on ebay. i'm using an oem of the aztech waverider 32 platinum so maybe the build quality is higher for a (1 step down from) flagship model, but most other people report good results across the board.

btw, i'm planning on starting the dig soon...got it installed and all ready to go. it's one of the few lucasarts games i never got around to playing.

Reply 4 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree this card is often overlooked. Everyone raves about the Gold but end of the day it's still a noisy ISA card and not that much better then the value, definitely not worth the price difference anyway.
If I compare OPL and CQM side by side then yes typically OPL is the better sounding but if I'm just playing a game I don't really notice the difference.

Reply 5 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aside from CQM FM synth, I like the AWE64 too for being the most bugfree SB16-based sound card, having good sound quality and the EMU8K being quite more useful in Windows with the ability to load SF2 SoundFonts especially when the amount of RAM is upgraded from 512KB (or 4MB in the case of the AWE64 Gold).

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 9, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, for a late era DOS, early era Win9x machine, the CT4500 is awesome. Most games supported AWE, so you don't have to put up with CQM. It sounds good enough in DirectX games. Lack of EAX begins to hurt it getting into 1998/1999 games.

Still, whatever you do, don't listen to E1M1 with CQM. That track really brings out the worst in CQM, and sounds downright chirpy compared to how it's supposed to sound.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 7 of 9, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is one more Creative card with basically same component base, but with few added extra features - SB32 PNP (CT3670)
It comes with standard SIMM slots instead of AWE64 expensive SIMCONN. Not that relevant for pure DOS gaming but it will add extra feature to play around with soundbanks in Win9x. It also comes with extra IDE header.

Reply 8 of 9, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Namrok wrote on 2023-02-24, 18:46:

Yeah, for a late era DOS, early era Win9x machine, the CT4500 is awesome. Most games supported AWE, so you don't have to put up with CQM. It sounds good enough in DirectX games. Lack of EAX begins to hurt it getting into 1998/1999 games.

Still, whatever you do, don't listen to E1M1 with CQM. That track really brings out the worst in CQM, and sounds downright chirpy compared to how it's supposed to sound.

It really does, Doom does not like the CQM. I like the OPL music, and the AWE support is good too. But now that I have played through allot of Doom using the Roland, it’s honestly hard to go back to anything other than the native sound canvas sound. Doom was the game that really convinced me that it was worth the hassle to setup a midi box.