VOGONS

First post, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i'm a bit overwhelmed by the plethora of cirrus logic chips that i see appearing on isa sound cards. given that they provided sound codecs for opti, aztech etc... the number of crystal chips is dizzying.

i'm interested to know about the origin and progression of isa soundcards exclusively using crystal chip controllers.

are all cirrus logic isa soundcards a single chip design like the CS4237B? or were there dual chip designs similar to opti, aztech etc... using an external codec?

assuming all being a single chip design, how many major crystal chip revisions were there? and did they all have integrated fm (orpheus soundcard excepted)? across the entire chip line were there any significant differences in terms of sb, sb pro, wss, mpu401 support?

the CS4235 is reported to have flawed fm synthesis. does this apply to all minor revisions of the chip? what other crystal revisions suffer from this flaw?

are there any resources online that i've failed to discover that list all the chip iterations? thanks.

Reply 1 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

List below is from an ISA Sound card overview I made a long time ago.

CS4231(A) Codec 16-bit 48KHz, WSS Compatible, ADPCM, Full Duplex
CS4248 Codec 16-bit 48KHz, WSS Compatible, ADPCM, Full Duplex
CS9233 (Like Dream SAM9233) Integrated Wavetable music synthesizer, DSP, 18-bit, MPU-401, Reverb+chorus. GM/GS
CS8905 (Like Dream SAM8905) FM/Midi Programmable Effects processor
CS4232 Controller+Codec 16-Bit 48KHz, PnP, SB/SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, IDE
CS4235 Controller+Codec 16-Bit 48KHz, PnP, SB/SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, IDE, Integr. OPL3 clone, low cost
CS4236 Controller+Codec 16-Bit 48KHz, PnP, SB/SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, IDE, Integr. OPL3 clone (bugged..)
CS4236B Controller+Codec 16-Bit 48KHz, PnP, SB/SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, IDE, Integr. OPL3 clone, WT digital interface
CS4237B Controller+Codec 16-Bit 48KHz, PnP, SB/SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, IDE, Integr. OPL3 clone, WT digital interface, SRS 3D Sound
CS9236 Midi Synthesizer+ROM, GM, 32-note polyphony, 44.1kHz, reverb + chorus, 128 melodic instruments and 47 percussion sounds

-Cirrus Logic acquired Crystal Semiconductor in 1991.
-Crystal CS9233 and CS4232/35/36 without the B suffix require DOS initialisation for the MPU-401 to work in windows.
-CS4236 rev B does not have the above issue. the rev B chips also have a 'Wavetable Digital Interface'.
-The interface chipsets are used as on-board Mainboard/Laptop sound systems. All chipsets can be found on both low-cost and high-end soundcards.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 5, by lawyerpepper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2023-02-22, 21:40:
i'm a bit overwhelmed by the plethora of cirrus logic chips that i see appearing on isa sound cards. given that they provided so […]
Show full quote

i'm a bit overwhelmed by the plethora of cirrus logic chips that i see appearing on isa sound cards. given that they provided sound codecs for opti, aztech etc... the number of crystal chips is dizzying.

i'm interested to know about the origin and progression of isa soundcards exclusively using crystal chip controllers.

are all cirrus logic isa soundcards a single chip design like the CS4237B? or were there dual chip designs similar to opti, aztech etc... using an external codec?

assuming all being a single chip design, how many major crystal chip revisions were there? and did they all have integrated fm (orpheus soundcard excepted)? across the entire chip line were there any significant differences in terms of sb, sb pro, wss, mpu401 support?

the CS4235 is reported to have flawed fm synthesis. does this apply to all minor revisions of the chip? what other crystal revisions suffer from this flaw?

are there any resources online that i've failed to discover that list all the chip iterations? thanks.

Some good info here, although you’ll need to read around the OS/2 centric material:

http://finnsoft.com/faq/crystalos2.html

Reply 3 of 5, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2023-02-22, 22:07:

man, why isn't info like this stickied (in the sound subforum no less) so people can find it? i don't know if your list is exhaustive (it sure looks like it though), but it's more than i could have hoped for. thanks

Reply 5 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stanwebber wrote on 2023-02-22, 22:27:
gerwin wrote on 2023-02-22, 22:07:

man, why isn't info like this stickied (in the sound subforum no less) so people can find it? i don't know if your list is exhaustive (it sure looks like it though), but it's more than i could have hoped for. thanks

Glad it is helpful 😀 A link to the full list was in my forum signature before, but somehow that signature is no longer there. I had to search for that post, from 10 years ago:
Re: Sound cards - from best to worst

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul