VOGONS

SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Topic actions

Reply 480 of 1257, by Baron von Riedesel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MBH wrote on 2023-04-12, 12:02:

Why there are two SBEMU with different approach from different developers, both named SBEMU and in the same thread? What's the purpose? Do you plan to merge at some point? At least for me, it's confusing. Can someone explain please? Wouldn't it make more sense to work together on one codebase?

I renamed the fork to VSBHDA to avoid any confusions. And it's a public github repo now.

The reason for this fork is to have a HX compatible SB emulation, something that SBEMU isn't. It's not focused on games, and I plan to eventually remove the mpxpart, focused on HDA ( only? ).

Actually this plan was the reason why hdpmi32 with port trapping (hdpmi32i) came into existance at all...

Reply 481 of 1257, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is meant to be "HX compatible SB emulation" ?
That it will not require modified hdpmi32i but only std hdpmi32 from your repo?

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 482 of 1257, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RayeR wrote on 2023-04-10, 04:04:

I quickly patched 1 byte (LF to CR) in hdpmi32i.exe so the message didn't disappear but it's not jumping anymore, just printed at top line, so not much disturbing. You can try this...

Thanks, it works! 😀

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 483 of 1257, by vico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I have a pc with the following specs:
Processor: Pentium IV 2.66 GHz
RAM: 1.50GB
Audio Card: ICH AC97
Doing some tricks I managed to run the Disney Aladdin game but after configuring Sound Blaster Pro (via setsnd.exe) I am getting the error: Music error...003. I also tried selecting Sound Blaster & AWE32 but the game doesn't play any sound.

I have tried various combinations of SBEMU parameters but no luck. I'm not sure if this is a SBEMU bug, but if anyone has been able to play Aladdin with music using SBEMU I would like to know how they did it.

Thank you very much for your great work.

Reply 485 of 1257, by vico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MBH wrote on 2023-04-13, 11:12:

You should provide more info about chipset, what southbridge and what codec is used. Or the exactly name of your board would also help.

My motherboard is one like this: https://soggi.org/motherboards/abit/BE7-RAID.htm#spec

Reply 486 of 1257, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anyone tried this with an HP t5710 thin client? That works quite well. Some games don't run, for example Tyrian, but what does work works (sounds) really well.
At least better than the other sound solution VIAFMTSR.

Reply 487 of 1257, by e8root

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I ran SBEMU on HP T4400, its Core 2 Duo based Tablet PC with newest FreeDOS from USB key. Zero issues there.
Both internal speaker and headphone jack can be used but somehow without automatic switching like happens in Windows.

One of the games I tried running right away was Tyrian - always run it when testing DOS OPL or MIDI. Unfortunately it doesn't work with HDPMI enabled and disabling it disables SBEMU.

OPL emulation in games which are supported sounds like genuine OPL chip. Its a bit quiet vs sounds in Doom. Not sure if this is expected bahavior.

Reply 488 of 1257, by L4MD4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MBH wrote on 2023-04-12, 12:02:

Why there are two SBEMU with different approach from different developers, both named SBEMU and in the same thread? What's the purpose?

My initial desire, was to extract out an audio card initiation library. Maybe not, but probably, even Dos dependent. Then see how hard it was to submit ways for other "involved" projects to use it. But there are so many problems with this.

Eventually, the library could move in a way that forces other projects to fork it, or accept undesired changes to their own project. But it wouldn't be a huge or extensively used code base, and this isn't a big threat.

Not everybody structures everything the same way. Sometimes it is just easier/nicer to do it your own way. If the code is available, then you can do just that. The nice thing here, is that you aren't needing to cut and paste large amounts of code. You just need to see why something does or does not work. In some cases, just that it does work.

Do you plan to merge at some point? At least for me, it's confusing. Can someone explain please? Wouldn't it make more sense to work together on one codebase?

In this case, it is probably better to just answer each others questions. In some ways, that builds a better community. Anytime you need agreements on how to go forward, you get coding ethics/religion involved. As a group of independent peers, truths about a shared interest are exchanged. Personal designs can be taken or disregarded, with out any disrespect.

Reply 489 of 1257, by th3bar0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
crazii wrote on 2023-04-05, 10:13:
Good News! With the HP T5530, I fixed the bug for VT833 and now it's working - just overlooked a tiny bug. Tested with a few gam […]
Show full quote

Good News!
With the HP T5530, I fixed the bug for VT833 and now it's working - just overlooked a tiny bug.
Tested with a few games all working, except that duke3d will freeze on exit, I don't think it's caused by SBEMU, probably VGA related, but I forgot to verify it without SBEMU, you guys can find it out.

SBEMU_VT8233_Fix.zip

Amazing! Latest VT8233 build works perfectly on my T5520!

Apologies I meant to reply days ago but got sucked down an absolutely insane rabbit hole trying to get my T5710 to boot dos from a USB drive.
My cunning plan was to have a single USB key I could try SBEMU on all my machines.. which worked great until I tried it on this one!

Having trawled the entire internet.. I did find this post. Small world! 😁
Re: HP T5710 windows 98 build

Attachments

• Filename
    sbemu_vt8233fix.m4a
    File size
    96.97 KiB
    Downloads
    66 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 490 of 1257, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vico wrote on 2023-04-13, 03:45:

Disney Aladdin

This game is a fussy one when it comes to memory management, may you be running into something unrelated to SBEMU?

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 491 of 1257, by vico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2023-04-14, 07:15:
vico wrote on 2023-04-13, 03:45:

Disney Aladdin

This game is a fussy one when it comes to memory management, may you be running into something unrelated to SBEMU?

I tried other games that use EMS, like Prehistorik 2 and the music doesn't play either.

Reply 492 of 1257, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aladdin works!
You need EMS Memory, and a max XMS memory of 32 megs.

Try:

DEVICEHIGH=JEMMEX.EXE RAM MAXEXT=32768

(Or without RAM, i`m not sure, it on the other pc)

My sbemu runs as SB Pro but you need to use SB compatible. Still not perfekt, but works.

Another question: No CD-Audio support? The gameport is working btw, thx for that.

Reply 493 of 1257, by vico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out why the music wasn't working, the Jemm386 I was using was a different version than JLoad.
I have updated my jeem386 and am now playing the games that use EMS properly.
Sorry for the false alarm and once again thanks for your great work.

Reply 494 of 1257, by Zeerex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demolition-Man wrote on 2023-04-15, 16:02:
Aladdin works! You need EMS Memory, and a max XMS memory of 32 megs. […]
Show full quote

Aladdin works!
You need EMS Memory, and a max XMS memory of 32 megs.

Try:

DEVICEHIGH=JEMMEX.EXE RAM MAXEXT=32768

(Or without RAM, i`m not sure, it on the other pc)

My sbemu runs as SB Pro but you need to use SB compatible. Still not perfekt, but works.

Another question: No CD-Audio support? The gameport is working btw, thx for that.

This is confusing. I thought DEVICE=C:\DOS\JEMMEX.EXE I=B000-B7FF was more compatible? Also what’s the latest version of this product, the c revision from OP or one of the updates from the last few pages. Hard to keep up.

Reply 495 of 1257, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I=B000-B7FF

Never used this option.^^

Tried it on a second pc, only for Aladdin.
jemmex.exe maxext=32768

Works, RAM is not needed, EMS is on by default. Only in Soundblaster Mode (not SB Pro), but the game is playable.

I have a list of my working games for all of you. SBEMU @ SB PRO 220/7/1 (MS-6340 board)
I am not a pro, maybe you can give me some tipps.
Non alphabetic order and some as dos folder names:

Edit: 1.0 Beta3 Update

Epinball works only with Sound Blaster compatible, not Pro nor Clone
Doom 1 &2
Monkey (Island) PC to fast, but works
Oregon Trail
SC2000
Prince of Persia
WOLF3D
DUNE2
DUKE2
Duke3D
LEMMINGS
Descent 1&2 both only with SBcompatible
SSF2 (a smaler version) works more or less
Siedler2 Gold (Settlers II) works sort off, but volume bug while mouse clicking?!
Aladdin only SB compatible
Quake
NFS1 SE only SB compatible
Tomb Raider
Rebel Assault 1
TIE CD
Wing Commander III music SB PRO, FX SB compatible
Wing Commander IV SB compatible
Privateer 2
Dark Forces
Edit:
Panzer General
Archimedean Dynasty
Commander Keen 4&6

The Sound on all SB compatible games ist too fast with SB Pro option.

Not working:
Tyrian
Jazz CD
Theme Park CD (works but with music only)
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (CD)
ZSNES
Day of the Tentacle
Red Alert 1

I`m still testing...

Last edited by Demolition-Man on 2023-04-20, 17:30. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 497 of 1257, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Version 1.0Beta2c, and the complete package frpme page 1.
Windows 98 (DOS 7.10) F8 start, option 5: command prompt.

I am working on a boot menu, never did this before, it will take some time . Until then for testing:

config.sys
Country=049,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
DEVICEHIGH=jemmex.exe NOEMS
DOS=HIGH, UMB
FILES=40
BUFFERS=40
LASTDRIVE=H
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\Mtmcdai.sys /D:OPTICAL

Without the NOEMS Option for the EMS games, and maxext=32768 for Aladdin.
A simple REM at the beginning of the jemmex line, and Win98 is working again.

Autoexec.bat
LH keyb gr,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL

DOS2.bat (started manually)
jload qpiemu.dll
hdpmi32i -r -x
sbemu
Ctmouse.exe

Really nothing speacial. I have a few more games. After the 8bit testing, i will test the sbemu /T6 Option.

Reply 498 of 1257, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm... I have an ITX board with Atom processor and one PCI slot. (For Voodoo maybe? 😉 ) Should try this thing out. (This post is marker for myself to not forget/lose this thread)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 499 of 1257, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Test report,
Realtek ALC888 @ VT8237A
MS-DOS 6.22
SBEMU ver.1.0beta2c-vt8233fix (05/04/23)
Output:

Found sound card: Intel HDA
Real mode support: enabled.
Protected mode support: enabled.
OPL3 emulation enabled at port 388h.
Sound Blaster Pro emulation enabled at Adress: 220, IRQ: 7, DMA: 1

Games tested:
Duke3D: sound and FM music are OK but there is occasional clicking and hissing. Reversed stereo.

Doom: sound and FM music are OK but there is occasional clicking and hissing.

Disney’s Jungle Book: sound and FM music are OK.

Prince of Persia: freeze on launch.

See huge progress, thank you!

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports