VOGONS

SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Topic actions

Reply 520 of 1276, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 1.0 Beta3 fixed all the speed issues with the games that work. All games are on SB Pro now, thank you!
I have adjusted the list of games accordingly.

Reply 521 of 1276, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arandy wrote on 2023-04-16, 09:42:
I think that this tool would be complete with MIDI software sinthetizer for DOS like: […]
Show full quote

I think that this tool would be complete with MIDI software sinthetizer for DOS like:

https://github.com/Wohlstand/libADLMIDI
(adlmidi-dos32.zip)

and merge it into SBEMU.

I mean, can port 300-330 be trapped to employ a software midi syntetizer, with wavetable files support? The hardware (P4 Athlons XP and up) would be more than capable to handle it, I think.

It's like the one ring....one tool to rule them all! 😀

I know that I am dreaming....but what do you think?

Are there chances that It is doable?
😀

I think this is a good idea! which I thought about at the beginning. 😁
but! I'm currently busy with my work and have no spare time to do it right now.
Any helps to add MIDI support is appreciated, or you can wait when I'm available to do it.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD

Reply 522 of 1276, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would indeed be amazing if the SoftMPU project could be integrated into SBEMU as well.

At least with MPU-401 emulation, you don't have to worry about emulating the ISA DMA stuff. I believe that's the hardest part, right?

Although for full Intelligent Mode emulation (yes please!), it would require IRQ handling, if I understand the standard correctly.

Reply 523 of 1276, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before thinking of any fancy new ideas, what about fixing existing problems first? At least on my machine there is not one game not crashing after some time or immediately. It's not jemmex related, because with no sound and no SBEMU, all games running with jemmex or with himem/emm386. So it's hdpmi32i and/or SBEMU. I have IGEL 4210LX Winestra with VIA C7 CPU, CN700 Northbridge, 8237r+ southbridge and VT1612a codec. Crazii, can you do some more testing with your Thin Client please? You have mentioned, that Duke3d is crashing on your machine at some point also. If I can provide more details, please let me know.

Thank you

Reply 525 of 1276, by L4MD4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
crazii wrote on 2023-04-21, 10:31:

I'm currently busy with my work and have no spare time to do it right now.
Any helps to add MIDI support is appreciated, or you can wait when I'm available to do it.

I feel a little crappy, for not "really" having helped.
I've also been meaning to look into your USB project (more OHCI compatibility/EHCI storage/audio and midi).

Seems like your projects should be drawing in more supportive developers. Baron-von-Riedesel, has set a good example.
You seem to be hitting on some of the very needed areas. Areas many dreamers have been procrastinating on.

I think one of the Freepascal devs is always "rightly so" bad talking Dos developers. Of all the RETRO systems, with one of the larger user bases, we have the least due diligence. I've always thought something like an improved TRIDOS would change that. But really, more of us just need to stop putting it off.

At the current state of development, you're already on the other side of that line. Good job. Thanks for putting yourself out there; then also accepting the burden, of many needy hands.

Reply 526 of 1276, by vico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to test sbemu on a relatively old pc that has 4GB ram and a Core 2 Duo processor, my board is one like the following:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/produ … ifications.html

For some reason I'm getting some errors when running the line: DEVICE=jemmex.exe in config.sys.

Does anyone know if there is some memory limitation that jemmex can handle or maybe have any idea what could be causing this error?

Attachments

Reply 527 of 1276, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If there is some option ROM, sata, raid, network boot ROM etc, you should disable it. Because these ROMs are located in memory between 640-1024 kB. Maybe you can remove one RAM module? If possible, try with less RAM.

Edit: Try noems opiton for jemmex could also help.

Edit2: There seems to be an error in your FAT. You should fix that.

Reply 528 of 1276, by PandaBox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First I would like to thank everyone involved in the project, this is a dream coming true.

I have some odd machines and decided to test some of them.

First one was a thin client Fujitsu Siemens A25, it's use a Geode LX800 processor and have a CS5536 audio chip.
I have the same audio chip on another thin clients with a Geode GX2
Unfortunately did not work, I know it's a weird audio device.
But a lot of thin clients with low power consumption use these Geode processors, using then as DOS Gaming machines would be great.

Also tested on my original Vortex86 (the SIS based one).
This one apparently uses a SiS 7018 audio chip, the docs say it's compatible with the Realteck AC97 codec.
Didn't work either.
No audio device was found.

I will test it in other devices soon.

Reply 529 of 1276, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wrote:

Thanks for the report, the debug message will be removed on next release 😁.

It works! And it is fuc*ing beautiful! Fully working Cubic Player under DOS on powerfull 1,6GHz Atom based netbook? I'm happy! (Weird and twisted, but happy! 😀)

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 530 of 1276, by vico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MBH wrote on 2023-04-22, 10:26:

If there is some option ROM, sata, raid, network boot ROM etc, you should disable it. Because these ROMs are located in memory between 640-1024 kB. Maybe you can remove one RAM module? If possible, try with less RAM.

I disabled network boot, also tried NOEMS option and even removed a 2GB ram module but no way, jemmx fails anyway.

Reply 531 of 1276, by L4MD4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PandaBox wrote on 2023-04-22, 19:23:
First one was a thin client Fujitsu Siemens A25, it's use a Geode LX800 processor and have a CS5536 audio chip. I have the same […]
Show full quote

First one was a thin client Fujitsu Siemens A25, it's use a Geode LX800 processor and have a CS5536 audio chip.
I have the same audio chip on another thin clients with a Geode GX2
Unfortunately did not work, I know it's a weird audio device.
But a lot of thin clients with low power consumption use these Geode processors, using then as DOS Gaming machines would be great.

I have a thin client with the Geode GX. It could be that the HW/DEV ID just isn't included in the detection source. I've been meaning to work with it, since the Realtek chip is used in other working audio devices. But, I vaguely remember the Geode's needing some additional audio initializing. The reading came from the Coreboot mailing lists and KolibriOS. KolibriOS has C sources, for initializing Geode AC97 audio. Out of the supported AC97 devices, for Kolibri, the Geode is the only one needing this extra initiation. This may have something to do with the Geode's Virtual PCI.

Also tested on my original Vortex86 (the SIS based one). This one apparently uses a SiS 7018 audio chip, the docs say it's compa […]
Show full quote

Also tested on my original Vortex86 (the SIS based one).
This one apparently uses a SiS 7018 audio chip, the docs say it's compatible with the Realteck AC97 codec.
Didn't work either.
No audio device was found.

I will test it in other devices soon.

You may want to post the HW/DEV ID and test this device with MPXplay.

Last edited by L4MD4 on 2023-04-23, 06:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 532 of 1276, by L4MD4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vico wrote on 2023-04-22, 21:17:

I disabled network boot, also tried NOEMS option and even removed a 2GB ram module but no way, jemmx fails anyway.

Would it be worth posting the error, when using NOEMS? Does it differ, in a meaningful way?
Do you normally use Himemx? If not, what do you normally use?

I'm assuming that you get no errors, when not using Jemmex?

You could try using DOSFSCK/CHKDSK.

Reply 533 of 1276, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruno128 wrote on 2023-04-11, 08:28:
crazii wrote on 2023-03-05, 06:13:

SB Live/Audigy

If it could be done with PCI card, could you add support for CS4630 / CS4624?
Thanks crazii!

I hope it works because I have laptops with Crystal PCI that only have OPL2 FM. but I checked the source code of MPXPlay and found nothing. it is still possible to use some source from ALSA if there's any.

Reply 534 of 1276, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MBH wrote on 2023-04-21, 13:38:

Before thinking of any fancy new ideas, what about fixing existing problems first? At least on my machine there is not one game not crashing after some time or immediately. It's not jemmex related, because with no sound and no SBEMU, all games running with jemmex or with himem/emm386. So it's hdpmi32i and/or SBEMU. I have IGEL 4210LX Winestra with VIA C7 CPU, CN700 Northbridge, 8237r+ southbridge and VT1612a codec. Crazii, can you do some more testing with your Thin Client please? You have mentioned, that Duke3d is crashing on your machine at some point also. If I can provide more details, please let me know.

Thank you

I tested with my T5520 last time and the duke3d only freeze on exit to DOS (outro banner). and it always freeze, with or without SBEMU.
Just tested with some games this weekend, no other freeze found, I think your freeze/crash may relate to other bugs - the chipset, or the 8237r+ sound chip. BTW what's the crash message?

EDIT: duke3d didn't freeze on my T5520, but takes long to exit. after some seconds/minutes it returned to DOS command line successfully, but before it's done, even Ctrl+Alt+Del didn't work, weird. it may be related to the USB stick and the thin client's USB 1.0 low speed.

Last edited by crazii on 2023-04-23, 08:05. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 535 of 1276, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vico wrote on 2023-04-22, 21:17:
MBH wrote on 2023-04-22, 10:26:

I don't know much about JEMMEX, you may ask for help from Baron, he's the author of JEMMEX.
BTW you may try QEMM as an alternative.

Reply 536 of 1276, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
crazii wrote on 2023-04-23, 07:55:

BTW what's the crash message?

Maybe I used the wrong word. It just freeze with playing the last sound. There is no error message and Ctrl+Alt+Del is not working. I have to switch off the IGEL, because it lacks a reset Button. The time or situation when this happens is different each time. Sometimes it freeze in intro of Duke3d, sometimes I can play several minutes. Same happens with Quake. Without SBEMU, and because of that without sound, I can play for hours.

Thanks for testing again on your machine.

Edit: I don't know if it's helpful. But I "think" the voice of Duke is a little slow. Maybe 20%. But I can't tell for sure.

Reply 537 of 1276, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where can I find QEMM (just for testing)? Is that just an .EXE file too? If you look for it, you get large data packages, or several installation disks.

Reply 538 of 1276, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MBH wrote on 2023-04-23, 10:16:
Maybe I used the wrong word. It just freeze with playing the last sound. There is no error message and Ctrl+Alt+Del is not worki […]
Show full quote
crazii wrote on 2023-04-23, 07:55:

BTW what's the crash message?

Maybe I used the wrong word. It just freeze with playing the last sound. There is no error message and Ctrl+Alt+Del is not working. I have to switch off the IGEL, because it lacks a reset Button. The time or situation when this happens is different each time. Sometimes it freeze in intro of Duke3d, sometimes I can play several minutes. Same happens with Quake. Without SBEMU, and because of that without sound, I can play for hours.

Thanks for testing again on your machine.

Edit: I don't know if it's helpful. But I "think" the voice of Duke is a little slow. Maybe 20%. But I can't tell for sure.

The duke voice is playing good here... I'm afraid that I need a real machine to debug it. that might help, or not. but it always involves another debug machine. 🤣

Reply 539 of 1276, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Demolition-Man wrote on 2023-04-23, 10:28:

Where can I find QEMM (just for testing)? Is that just an .EXE file too? If you look for it, you get large data packages, or several installation disks.

I myself don't have a legal copy of QEMM. Hmm, you may google to find a download link to test, QEMM 9.x , that's all that I can tell.