VOGONS

SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Topic actions

Reply 640 of 1257, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
f1etch wrote on 2023-05-06, 13:41:

Gave it a quick try on a G41/ICH7 Core2 and a B360 CoffeeLake 9th Gen system, played Epic Pinball perfectly on both.

I'm super-impressed that you've got a running bare-metal DOS system on Coffee Lake system. (The "newest" system I can get both compatible DOS video and SBEMU working together on is Kaby Lake, due to bad Intel UHD 620 onboard graphics, and broken Vesa, LFB, VBE3 and MTRRs. Such a shame).

Are you using built-in iGPU graphics on your Coffee Lake system (9th gen core intel). What is your exact CPU, memory config, and what is your nominal CPU frequency running at in bare metal DOS? Do you have HDA audio?

Reply 641 of 1257, by f1etch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

It's an i3-9100F (Default 3.6GHz), ASUS B360m-a, 32GB DDR4 2400 GTX1070 GPU, onboard (HDA) audio, USB KVM for Keyboard and Mouse.
Everything is default other than CSM enabled in BIOS - the oldest thing I had run on it before this was Windows7.
It's the newest PC I own, so I just plugged a bootable DOS USB in with SBEMU/Jemmex etc on to see if it would work - and it did!
Also tried Heretic, which worked no problems with FX and Music.
I will try different games, not sure I'd claim I have a "fully working system" but so far so good, really impressed with SBEMU.

SBEMU also works well on my 5th Gen NUC (NUC5i5RYH) through the headphone socket.
Haven't got it working on my 3rd Gen NUC (DC53427HYE) as it lacks a headphone socket, it can only output sound through HDMI.
SBEMU loads ok, detects ICH based sound in the chipset (same as the newer NUC), but I don't see any way to direct it to send the output to HDMI.
Doesn't output anything, but HDMI sound works fine using XP/7/10. NUC's fault for not having audio out/headphone socket.

I'm wondering if it could be a better option for DOS than some of the "OPL emulation" on PCI soundcards.
I read that my CS4630 (Santa Cruz) FM sounds terrible in DOS, so maybe using SBEMU with onboard (eg ICH7) sound is a better idea for DOS, and leave the Santa Cruz to do what it's good at - Sensaura stuff in Windows98/XP?

Best wishes,

F1etch

Reply 642 of 1257, by Chuck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great program but it's unfortunate that windows won't start with jemmex loaded. Would be great if it could not interfere because the games that needs it could be launched just creating a custom autoexec.bat configuration for them in their properties, so when you launch them windows will go in ms-dos mode and launch the game.

Reply 643 of 1257, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Chuck wrote on 2023-05-11, 11:25:

Great program but it's unfortunate that windows won't start with jemmex loaded. Would be great if it could not interfere because the games that needs it could be launched just creating a custom autoexec.bat configuration for them in their properties, so when you launch them windows will go in ms-dos mode and launch the game.

Can you post your sound card's hardware ID ?

I believe everybody who has managed to make sound work in DOS should post their sound card's details, device manager will give us very precise information

Attachments

Reply 644 of 1257, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having support for the GEMMIS specification added to Jemmex would likely solve this. This feature request has been outstanding for some time, but needs someone both with the required skill and interest to implement it.

Reply 645 of 1257, by urbanus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have created a boot menu for Windows 98SE that lets you choose to boot DOS with SBEMU or Windows 98SE (havent tested the other 9x Windows)

You can find it here:
Re: SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Reply 646 of 1257, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried it on my ThinkPad T430 and it's working beautifully. Tho I found out that at least on this notebook it isn't working with CuteMouse 2.0, but with 2.1 it's working just fine. And also, like mentioned in this thread previously, Tyrian won't work, not even its setup.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 647 of 1257, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Srandista wrote on 2023-05-12, 19:40:

I tried it on my ThinkPad T430 and it's working beautifully. Tho I found out that at least on this notebook it isn't working with CuteMouse 2.0, but with 2.1 it's working just fine. And also, like mentioned in this thread previously, Tyrian won't work, not even its setup.

Reply 648 of 1257, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, here you go! There are 2 audio devices, but I assume, that sound for speakers is going from HD audio one.

HD_Audio.png
Filename
HD_Audio.png
File size
27.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Display_audio.png
Filename
Display_audio.png
File size
24.25 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 649 of 1257, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Srandista wrote on 2023-05-12, 21:33:

Sure, here you go! There are 2 audio devices, but I assume, that sound for speakers is going from HD audio one.
HD_Audio.png
Display_audio.png

Nice it seems that I have the exact sound card on my Lenovo i5 Laptop. Now the Intel sound card should be your HDMI port

Reply 650 of 1257, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-05-12, 21:38:

Now the Intel sound card should be your HDMI port

Exactly. And since I didn't have external monitor connected, I assume it's using that HD audio card (SBEMU identified it as Intel HDA). But wanted to add both of those HW IDs just to be sure 😀

Reply 652 of 1257, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ga-z97m-d3h CPU I5 4690 and audio device realtek hd audio with the following device id
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1458A182&REV_1003
success working nice. with a striped from win98 ms-dos 7.1
although i would like it more if the sbemu provides real mode with himem.sys or himemx.exe and the official MS EMM386.EXE

Reply 653 of 1257, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruno128 wrote on 2023-05-12, 22:05:

So was there a success running SBEMU with HDMI Audio?

Unfortunately not. I can't get the picture from FreeDOS to the external monitor, and therefore I can't route the sound through the HDMI. Also, only one sound card is detected with /scl switch (Intel HDA: Intel PCH -> Realtek).

Reply 654 of 1257, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi there! fantastic project finally that i was waiting for years! but... not working for me 🙁 please help me!

my sys is:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ 2.40ghz Windsor
6GB DDR2 (3X2GB)
Sapphire Radeon HD7850 OC 2GB
ASUS M2N
FreeDOS 1.3

The fact is i followed a YT guide, extracted files on C:/ and edited all fdconfig.sys and fdauto.bat, when i select the mode it says all is working and emulated, even games setup recognize/thinks i have a Sound Blaster but i get NO sound or music! is all muted.. ofc speakers works.

by far i know from this mobo is from 2006, have a nForce 2 chipset (i think) and the audio integrated chip should be an Azalia/SoundMAX.

Please help me how why i don't hear anything on this machine? Using last sbemu and jemmex included in the pack.

Reply 655 of 1257, by Chuck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-05-11, 13:13:

I believe everybody who has managed to make sound work in DOS should post their sound card's details, device manager will give us very precise information

Sure, although I believe Windows 98 device manager won't be of much help regarding hw Id, so here is a screen from unknown devices program.

Attachments

Reply 656 of 1257, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Chuck wrote on 2023-05-13, 18:33:
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-05-11, 13:13:

Sure, although I believe Windows 98 device manager won't be of much help regarding hw Id, so here is a screen from unknown devices program.

Perfect hardware id is just there in your photo. So is sound working for you ?

Reply 657 of 1257, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-05-13, 18:27:
hi there! fantastic project finally that i was waiting for years! but... not working for me :( please help me! […]
Show full quote

hi there! fantastic project finally that i was waiting for years! but... not working for me 🙁 please help me!

my sys is:

6GB DDR2 (3X2GB)
ASUS M2N
FreeDOS 1.3

The fact is i followed a YT guide, extracted files on C:/ and edited all fdconfig.sys and fdauto.bat, when i select the mode it says all is working and emulated, even games setup recognize/thinks i have a Sound Blaster but i get NO sound or music! is all muted.. ofc speakers works.

by far i know from this mobo is from 2006, have a nForce 2 chipset (i think) and the audio integrated chip should be an Azalia/SoundMAX.

Please help me how why i don't hear anything on this machine? Using last sbemu and jemmex included in the pack.

Please post the hardware id of your sound card

Reply 658 of 1257, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-05-13, 18:53:
hi there! fantastic project finally that i was waiting for years! but... not working for me :( please help me! […]
Show full quote

my sys is:

6GB DDR2 (3X2GB)
ASUS M2N
FreeDOS 1.3

here it is, thanks for reply hope can help! 😀

Attachments

• id.png
    Filename
    id.png
    File size
    37.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 659 of 1257, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-05-13, 19:57:
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-05-13, 18:53:
Show full quote

my sys is:

6GB DDR2 (3X2GB)
ASUS M2N
FreeDOS 1.3

here it is, thanks for reply hope can help! 😀

This is directly from github:

https://github.com/crazii/SBEMU

SBEMU
Sound blaster emulation with OPL3 for AC97.

Supported Sound cards:

Intel ICH / nForce
Intel High Definition Audio
VIA VT82C686, VT8233
SB Live/Audigy
The VT82C868 & ICH4 are tested working on real machine.
ICH & HDA tested working in virtualbox, not verified on real machine yet.
HDA tested working by community.