Show full quote
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-05-13, 19:57:
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-05-13, 18:53:

Please post the hardware id of your sound card

here it is, thanks for reply hope can help! 😀

This is directly from github:

https://github.com/crazii/SBEMU

SBEMU
Sound blaster emulation with OPL3 for AC97.

Supported Sound cards:

Intel ICH / nForce
Intel High Definition Audio
VIA VT82C686, VT8233
SB Live/Audigy
The VT82C868 & ICH4 are tested working on real machine.
ICH & HDA tested working in virtualbox, not verified on real machine yet.
HDA tested working by community.

uh, yeah i already read these.. so what is mine exactly? is it supported on this list? I don't know why the games recognize that the sound blaster is enabled but there is literally no sound and music at all, nor from speakers or headphones jack..

Reply 661 of 1271, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-05-13, 20:11:
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-05-13, 20:03:
This is directly from github: […]
Show full quote
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-05-13, 19:57:

here it is, thanks for reply hope can help! 😀

SBEMU

Supported Sound cards:

Intel ICH / nForce
VIA VT82C686, VT8233
SB Live/Audigy

uh, yeah i already read these.. so what is mine exactly? is it supported on this list? I don't know why the games recognize that the sound blaster is enabled but there is literally no sound and music at all, nor from speakers or headphones jack..

Well if I read everything correctly your soundcard does not seem to be in the supported list

Reply 662 of 1271, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-05-13, 20:13:
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-05-13, 20:03:
This is directly from github: […]
Show full quote

SBEMU

Supported Sound cards:

Intel ICH / nForce
VIA VT82C686, VT8233
SB Live/Audigy

Well if I read everything correctly your soundcard does not seem to be in the supported list

oh.. 🤣 how is possible i see almost everyone running it with no problems on more modern hardware and not this asus from 2006? :\

then what if i try to put a Sound Blaster LIVE! PCI or Sound Blaster 16 PCI on it? i remember i tried in the past to try them but no luck as the SBLIVEINIT.com\SB Emulation don't like JEMMEX on freedos...

Reply 663 of 1271, by Biomecanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-05-13, 20:18:
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-05-13, 20:13:

oh.. 🤣 how is possible i see almost everyone running it with no problems on more modern hardware and not this asus from 2006? :\

then what if i try to put a Sound Blaster LIVE! PCI or Sound Blaster 16 PCI on it? i remember i tried in the past to try them but no luck as the SBLIVEINIT.com\SB Emulation don't like JEMMEX on freedos...

Github says SB Live/Audigy is supported

Reply 664 of 1271, by McVitas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately my old PC doesn't seem to like the line device=jemmex.exe in config.sys and upon boot spams my screen super fast with errors from which I can read "interrupt divided by zero". Can I replace JEMM with something else, like QEMM for example?

Reply 665 of 1271, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The hardware IDs that were posted beginning with HDAUDIO or INTELAUDIO are not PCI IDs, they're codec IDs. Vendor 10ec is Realtek and 11d4 is Analog Devices, for instance.
Not sure how you get PCI IDs out of device manager on Windows (because I don't use it) but a quick search reveals a tool called PCI-Z.

VenomSpark wrote on 2023-05-13, 18:27:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ 2.40ghz Windsor 6GB DDR2 (3X2GB) Sapphire Radeon HD7850 OC 2GB ASUS M2N FreeDOS 1.3 […]
Show full quote

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+ 2.40ghz Windsor
6GB DDR2 (3X2GB)
Sapphire Radeon HD7850 OC 2GB
ASUS M2N
FreeDOS 1.3

The fact is i followed a YT guide, extracted files on C:/ and edited all fdconfig.sys and fdauto.bat, when i select the mode it says all is working and emulated, even games setup recognize/thinks i have a Sound Blaster but i get NO sound or music! is all muted.. ofc speakers works.

by far i know from this mobo is from 2006, have a nForce 2 chipset (i think) and the audio integrated chip should be an Azalia/SoundMAX.

Please help me how why i don't hear anything on this machine? Using last sbemu and jemmex included in the pack.

From your symptoms, I'm guessing that SBEMU has successfully loaded but you don't hear any sound? Try the front-panel headphone output or starting it with /O0 to use the headphone output (some platforms might connect the outputs differently).
The manual for the Asus M2N says it has an nForce 430 MCP, which is MCP51 or MCP 61 (maybe others), which has an HD audio controller supported by SBEMU.
Failing that, the SB Live or 16 PCI should be supported, you may have to use /SCn to select the appropriate device, where n is the index in /SCL.

Reply 666 of 1271, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
McVitas wrote on 2023-05-13, 21:58:

Unfortunately my old PC doesn't seem to like the line device=jemmex.exe in config.sys and upon boot spams my screen super fast with errors from which I can read "interrupt divided by zero". Can I replace JEMM with something else, like QEMM for example?

The jemmex maintainer prefers bug reports to be on GitHub. You can indeed use QEMM instead, AIUI jemmex, via qpiemu.dll, implements QPI (QEMM-386 Programming Interface) for port trapping. Alternatively, you can leave it out and lose real-mode support.

Reply 667 of 1271, by Chuck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-05-13, 18:52:
Chuck wrote on 2023-05-13, 18:33:
Biomecanoid wrote on 2023-05-11, 13:13:

Can you post your sound card's hardware ID ?

I believe everybody who has managed to make sound work in DOS should post their sound card's details, device manager will give us very precise information

Sure, although I believe Windows 98 device manager won't be of much help regarding hw Id, so here is a screen from unknown devices program.

Perfect hardware id is just there in your photo. So is sound working for you ?

Of course, I have drivers installed. I meant that since windows 98 device manager doesn't show hardware IDs I use an utility which is called unknown devices (from the photo) to show it.

Reply 668 of 1271, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-05-13, 18:27:

ASUS M2N

I tried it with NV MCP61 and it didn’t work too. Tried shuffling IRQ around but Duke3D complained about High DMA conflict anyway.
If you run SBEMU /SCL in Autoexec you may see that it may be trying to pick up HDA on your Radeon instead of mb. If you possess an older, non-HDMI graphic card, try running with it to rule out this possibility.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 669 of 1271, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for all the replies, as always this forum is the only one greatest resource for things like this 😀 For now, i just installed one of my two old Sound Blaster LIVE! 5.1 PCI, and boy...IT WORKS! I am amazed how finally we can get sound on FreeDOS, despite is still an emulation at least it runs on real hardware.. and is great as i can leave the integrated audio for other system (it have XP and 7), as FDOS recognize PCI natively, just amazing!

Sorry if i keep bothering with questions 🙁 but i don't know where else to ask, and my skills with time are getting rusty... by far some things goes well, some not but still some games runs much smoother than DOSBox or even my retro PC with a Celeron-2 and a 9200 SE.

my question\problem is: is JEMMEX mandatory? i am not big fan or expert of memory managers\extenders, but as far as I tested now most games gives me error like Theme Park, Alone In The Dark, GTA 1 and more when Jemmex crashes with a lot of numbers error code... any solution for this?

Last, but not last, how can i solve the Runtime 200 error? I fight it for a long time since for what I learnt is relative to Turbo Pascal programs and due to CPU speed too high. I would REALLY love to play two of my favourite games now with this FreeDOS machine, that is Traffic Department 2192 and Jazz Jackrabbit, but unfortunately both of these games gives me the Runtime 200 error, and even with the TP7P5 fix or a program called "slowdown" didn't helped much.. how can i choose manually the Mhz of my CPU? (Athlon64 X2 2.40Ghz) or emulate a sort of Pentium 133\Pentium 2?

Big thanks for any help\answer 😀

This is what happens most of the times:

Attachments

Reply 670 of 1271, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For the runtime 200 error, search for a patch tool from german magazine c't (heise Verlag). Can't remember it's exactly name. It can automatically determine, if an exe file need that patch and patch it. You can do "nameofpatchtool *.*" in your game directory to do so.

Edit: name of tool is BPPatch2.exe

Last edited by MBH on 2023-05-14, 18:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 672 of 1271, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No need for slowdown in case of runtime error 200. BPPatch2.exe can fix the root cause and you can run at full speed.

Edit: As always, do a backup of your files BEFORE patching!

Last edited by MBH on 2023-05-14, 19:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 673 of 1271, by McVitas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jtchip wrote on 2023-05-13, 23:03:
McVitas wrote on 2023-05-13, 21:58:

The jemmex maintainer prefers bug reports to be on GitHub. You can indeed use QEMM instead, AIUI jemmex, via qpiemu.dll, implements QPI (QEMM-386 Programming Interface) for port trapping. Alternatively, you can leave it out and lose real-mode support.

Could you be more specific please? It's been about 25years since I last saw QEMM ;-D So I really don't remember how it worked and how do I use it with Jemmex and how to load this qpiemu.dll via QEMM

Reply 674 of 1271, by vanfanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

I am trying SBEMU on a modern-ish SBC with an N3350 chip, which is Gen8/Braswell and has Intel HDA, and Intel HD Graphics 500.

This should work, in theory, since there are reports of SBEMU working on Coffe Lake SOCs, wich are even more modern if I'm not mistaken.

SBEMU loads without any problem:

report4.jpg
Filename
report4.jpg
File size
94.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reports to be active:

report2.jpg
Filename
report2.jpg
File size
110.3 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And this is what SBEMU /SCL reports to have found in the system:

report4.jpg
Filename
report4.jpg
File size
94.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

However, I get no sound at all: I tried SBEMU /O0 and SBEMU /01 to select the different ouputs, tried jack audio connector, HDMI, etc...
All silent.

Any ideas? Maybe some Intel HDA devices are not supported yet?

Attachments

• report1.jpg
    Filename
    report1.jpg
    File size
    165.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 675 of 1271, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
McVitas wrote on 2023-05-14, 18:57:

Could you be more specific please? It's been about 25years since I last saw QEMM ;-D So I really don't remember how it worked and how do I use it with Jemmex and how to load this qpiemu.dll via QEMM

That was probably too much implementation information. If you need SBEMU to support real-mode software, use jemmex with qpiemu.dll, or QEMM. As for how to use QEMM, I don't remember, it's been even longer for me.

Reply 676 of 1271, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vanfanel wrote on 2023-05-14, 21:55:
Hello there, […]
Show full quote

Hello there,

I am trying SBEMU on a modern-ish SBC with an N3350 chip, which is Gen8/Braswell and has Intel HDA, and Intel HD Graphics 500.

This should work, in theory, since there are reports of SBEMU working on Coffe Lake SOCs, wich are even more modern if I'm not mistaken.

SBEMU loads without any problem:

report4.jpg

Reports to be active:

report2.jpg

And this is what SBEMU /SCL reports to have found in the system:

report4.jpg

However, I get no sound at all: I tried SBEMU /O0 and SBEMU /01 to select the different ouputs, tried jack audio connector, HDMI, etc...
All silent.

Any ideas? Maybe some Intel HDA devices are not supported yet?

looks my same problem i listed above. According to sbemu everything was fine and activated, but no sound at all for me despite mine is a 2006 motherboard. Don't know really how can I help, i fixed by the lamest way mounting a real sound blaster live! 5.1 PCI on the PC and now is working as it should.

Reply 677 of 1271, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They're both part of the Skylake family, as far as audio controllers are concerned. In your case, it detects the codec sample rate and bit-depth as 0, which isn't a good sign. Also, not sure why it's detecting the codec vendor as "Unknown" when 8086 is Intel (and it's in the code). Does MPXPLAY work?
Looking at the code, it doesn't treat Skylake audio controllers any differently from other Intel HDA (SCH/PCH) controllers whereas the Linux driver does, with separate initialisation, starting with Broxton and eventually expanded to all Skylake audio controllers. In the Linux driver, Broxton is device 8086/5a98, which matches your Braswell.
So it might need code changes but I don't have a toolchain to build SBEMU, nor such a device to test it on.

Reply 678 of 1271, by vanfanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jtchip wrote on 2023-05-14, 23:12:
They're both part of the Skylake family, as far as audio controllers are concerned. In your case, it detects the codec sample ra […]
Show full quote

They're both part of the Skylake family, as far as audio controllers are concerned. In your case, it detects the codec sample rate and bit-depth as 0, which isn't a good sign. Also, not sure why it's detecting the codec vendor as "Unknown" when 8086 is Intel (and it's in the code). Does MPXPLAY work?
Looking at the code, it doesn't treat Skylake audio controllers any differently from other Intel HDA (SCH/PCH) controllers whereas the Linux driver does, with separate initialisation, starting with Broxton and eventually expanded to all Skylake audio controllers. In the Linux driver, Broxton is device 8086/5a98, which matches your Braswell.
So it might need code changes but I don't have a toolchain to build SBEMU, nor such a device to test it on.

Ah that's great to hear that the Linux code is there as a reference! I have copied this information to the issue I opened on the SBEMU git repo:
https://github.com/crazii/SBEMU/issues/16

Reply 679 of 1271, by Thunder5torM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, i'm no familiar with sound cards.

if I understand correctly does SBEMU works with integrated audio and also Sound Blaster cards?
I have an Asus A7V600-X as motherboard,
I also have an Audigy card.
In both cases I have IRQ problems.