VOGONS

SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Topic actions

Reply 680 of 1257, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vanfanel wrote on 2023-05-15, 09:26:

Ah that's great to hear that the Linux code is there as a reference! I have copied this information to the issue I opened on the SBEMU git repo:
https://github.com/crazii/SBEMU/issues/16

OK, you might want to add a bit more information to the issue, lspci -nn shows the PCI IDs in addition to the name, /proc/asound/cards contains the list of audio devices, and /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 has codec information (though only as far as the node with the front audio output would be sufficient, it's quite long), repeat for each card.

Reply 681 of 1257, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thunder5torM wrote on 2023-05-15, 12:55:
Hi all, i'm no familiar with sound cards. […]
Show full quote

Hi all, i'm no familiar with sound cards.

if I understand correctly does SBEMU works with integrated audio and also Sound Blaster cards?
I have an Asus A7V600-X as motherboard,
I also have an Audigy card.
In both cases I have IRQ problems.

what kind of IRQ problems? if i remember well, that asus mobo should be one with Athlon XP/Sempron support, i had it in 2016 before it dead but was amazing for dos and w98, you can tweak irq from bios.

Anyway right now i am using an Asus M2N from 2006 with a PCI real sound blaster live! 5.1 and is working perfectly, it says that audigy cards are supported as well so it should be also for yours.

For myself guys, sadly not even the patcher you adviced me works for runtime 200 error 🙁 i tried to patch the exe for Traffic Department 2192 and i still get this:

Attachments

Reply 682 of 1257, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did it patch the exe? Doesn't look like at your screenshot. Please copy the bppatch2.exe into the target directory and execute bppatch2.exe *.* In this directory. Also habe a look for command line switches. As far as I can remember, without it will do a check only, don't patch anything. But maybe I'm wrong. Also maybe there is more than one exe to patch in that dir.

Edit: Fix "Error 200" (Divide by zero) - by Snover and Stiletto (updated!) That's the patch I'm talking about

Reply 683 of 1257, by vanfanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jtchip wrote on 2023-05-15, 22:42:
vanfanel wrote on 2023-05-15, 09:26:

Ah that's great to hear that the Linux code is there as a reference! I have copied this information to the issue I opened on the SBEMU git repo:
https://github.com/crazii/SBEMU/issues/16

OK, you might want to add a bit more information to the issue, lspci -nn shows the PCI IDs in addition to the name, /proc/asound/cards contains the list of audio devices, and /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 has codec information (though only as far as the node with the front audio output would be sufficient, it's quite long), repeat for each card.

All done, sir! 😀

Reply 684 of 1257, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@crazii
Is there any chance to prevent SBEMU to load parts of itself into conventional memory, if I load it with LH /L:1 SBEMU? Without the /L:1 everything goes up, but with, a part (data, 528 bytes) goes to conventional memory sadly. Upper memory block 1 has 3.680 bytes free, so the last part of SBEMU should fit fine.

Reply 685 of 1257, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i kinda fixed the Traffic Department 2192 error, as i discovered somehow the first episode run into FILE0001.EXE and not TD1.EXE...weird. Still, unfortunately sound effects don't works with SBEMU, the music are allright but for FX i must use PC Speaker 🙁 last thing, sorry for bothering so much on this topic, but Jazz Jackrabbit remain a very tedious title to run on pure dos with modern PC.. even with two Turbo Pascal patches it won't run, but it don't give me the classic runtime 200 error, but: Loader error (0025): cannot initialize. Any way for play this fantastic game? Thanks!

Oh, last strange fun bug I'm facing is on Blood: with SBEMU any sound effects are... high pitched. The music works great, but all effects (Caleb and monsters\cultist voice, guns fire, explosions ecc.) are hight pitched like chipmunks talking, I swear it sounds more funny than it looks but why this happens? I tried on all version possible, both 1.0, 1.3 and shareware. With Duke Nukem 3D (same engine) this don't happens. My IRQ is set to 5 and High DMA to 1, maybe could this be?

Reply 686 of 1257, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-05-17, 23:32:

hight pitched like chipmunks talking

I had the same with SBEMU on VT8237A in Duke3D unless I changed IRQ from 5 to 7.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 687 of 1257, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2023-05-18, 07:39:
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-05-17, 23:32:

hight pitched like chipmunks talking

I had the same with SBEMU on VT8237A in Duke3D unless I changed IRQ from 5 to 7.

for me is happening the opposite ^^" sorry for the newbie question, but can you tell me how can i change manually the IRQ on SBEMU? thanks!

Reply 688 of 1257, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From page 1 here:
Use /i5 to change the virtual IRQ if you get an IRQ conflict error, or adjust IRQ assignment in the BIOS.

Interrupt 5 is the default, use sbemu /i7 instead.

Reply 689 of 1257, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Demolition-Man wrote on 2023-05-18, 19:29:

From page 1 here:
Use /i5 to change the virtual IRQ if you get an IRQ conflict error, or adjust IRQ assignment in the BIOS.

Interrupt 5 is the default, use sbemu /i7 instead.

just changed now in FDAUTO.bat, even the SET BLASTER I7 ecc. enviroment, checked the IRQ on bios (all set on PCI Device), but still chipmunk voices on Blood 🙁

Reply 690 of 1257, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Blood is one of the few popular games that I haven't been able to test with sbemu. Have you tried running the sound in Soundblaster compatible? Or emulate Soundblaster 16 with sbemu?

Reply 691 of 1257, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Demolition-Man wrote on 2023-05-18, 20:04:

Blood is one of the few popular games that I haven't been able to test with sbemu. Have you tried running the sound in Soundblaster compatible? Or emulate Soundblaster 16 with sbemu?

thanks for replies but sorry for my noobness, im getting old and rusty... 😅 how to change the sb type? like /sb16 or something?

Is strange because as i said on Duke 3D it works perfectly and they are practically the same engine.. another oddity i found is on Jill of the Jungle: on the first episode (jill1. exe) the sound start to loop very badly, while the other two episodes works..

Reply 692 of 1257, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

edit: I changed the sbemu /T3 (which seems to be a sound blaster 2.0) and now Blood sound perfectly! no more chipmunk 🤣 I can finally play Blood on real dos with sound without any emulation or small lags like in dosbox, thank you so much demoliton man 😀

last last thing: there is a way to emulate a graphic vga as well? or VESA? my HD7850 is ofc way too new, not only that but Ati cards always had issues on real dos compared to Nvidia or S3.. sometimes i get some glitches on Duke3D only if i go above 640x480 resolution, so is there a way to emulate a s3 trio or relative gpu on dos like dos box? Thansk again and viva sbemu 😁

Reply 693 of 1257, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're welcome. Unfortunately, I can't help with the problems on the new (er)graphics card. I sometimes have problems with the old graphics cards. But I'm also getting a little old and rusty. 😉

Reply 694 of 1257, by Ubersonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Big thanks for this Crazii it's amazing, I've been SBEMU for over a month now on a Wyse CX0 terminal (1GHz VIA CPU, 512MB DDR2, 8GB DOM) running FreeDOS 1.3 and pretty much everything works great so very happy.

Extremely painless setup, I basically Installed FreeDOS on my terminal via USB, installed SBEMU, took the HDDs from my old Am486 DX-120 system out of the drawer where they've been sitting since 1998, plugged them into an IDE-USB dock and transferred my games folders over and voila 😁

I have encountered a couple of games that don't work however, but I'm wondering if the issue is more FreeDOS related. Are most people using FreeDOS or MS-DOS 6.22? Is there any benefit to one over the other?

Reply 695 of 1257, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ubersonic wrote on 2023-05-21, 20:29:

I have encountered a couple of games that don't work however

which games you had issues with? I think because is... an emulation? 😅

Also SBEMU is still on beta, so i think is better than no having any sounds at all, even they said some problems could appear.

To think that me too have some problems with a REAL sound blaster live PCI mounted, so i think is not relatable to FreeDOS at all.

Reply 696 of 1257, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RayeR wrote on 2023-04-04, 01:53:

Not only VESAEMU, we would need complete legacy BIOS and VideoBIOS emulation layer over UEFI for modern UEFI-only (w/o CSM) systems. Someone is already challenging https://github.com/tkchia/biefircate but just now I got error from Github, wtf? Problem is that modern VGA cards dropped some VGA compatible IO ports so they shouldn't be called VGA anymore, just a framebuffer/accelerator. So some IO trapping method will be needed to emulate it (and pass to UEFI driver if it would be possible to let it run in background)...

TK Chia moved the biefircate project from GitHub to GitLab. It can now be found at https://gitlab.com/tkchia/biefircate

It would we awesome if more people were to cooperate on this really promising project!

Time for a separate topic/thread for this project here on Vogons, perhaps?

Reply 697 of 1257, by seishuku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to hop on here real quick and say that this is awesome!
When I first saw this on a YouTube video, I whipped up a freedos USB stick with this on it and a few games and tried it on my Ryzen 5800 system and to my surprise it works with the onboard sound!
My motherboard is an ASRock Phantom Gaming 4, if anyone is interested.
DOOM crashed immediately when running, but quake runs and plays with perfect sound, though it does crash after a bit. I'm going to guess that's more to do with the modern system more than SBEMU.

But my desktop system isn't what I wanted this for, no... I have a few Advantech PCM9388 PC104 SBCs and I'm planning on using them in an arcade type setup, but because they're pentium 4 based systems and intended to run Windows XP, it limits DOS game compatibility (they run at 600mhz, so DOSbox isn't a good solution).
I just got around to trying SBEMU on freedos 1.3 on one of these boards, and I'm happy to say it works perfectly! DOOM runs awesome, quake hums along nicely at 640x480.

Thanks!

Reply 698 of 1257, by MBH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
seishuku wrote on 2023-05-26, 14:47:

they're pentium 4 based systems ... they run at 600mhz ... quake hums along nicely at 640x480.

It's off topic, but try mtrrlfbe. My VIA C7 runs quake at 1280x1024 with it.

Reply 699 of 1257, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If anyone is looking for cheap thin client for running DOS games - I've tested HP T5730 with SBEMU and it works out of the box, no issues 😀

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz