Vmware workstation, With HDaudio on 9900K CPU.. no more crash.. SBemu is able to find Hdaudio device, see picture.. All tested with IRQ5, im quite sure that some older games, especially older ones could run with IRQ7.. because it was original SB IRQ, if im not wrong..
But Doom is not running.. its stuck on this message:
SB isn't responding at p=0x220,i=5, d=1
But there are other related settings for sound in *.vmx file like sound.pciSlotNumber = "XX" etc..
- compatibility sheet migrated to my online Dos sound card on fast machines spread sheet, first sheet, collumn Y+Z (at least now) - column name "Vmware workstation 17+ SB-Emu, Sound blaster emulator +Wmware set to HDaudio in *.vmx file by sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio" + JEMMEX,IRQ5"
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VKadO … of=true&sd=true
Working games (Overall virtual machine, no just sound..)
Duke3D - sound setup is able to detect sound card and play the sound, but not music - when test is executed no error, but nothing is playing, so its not entirely dead end..
In game - sound and music is playing fine.. but music is silent even on max setup 255 volume, all SB-EMu volume settings are default..
Q2Dos port - 1280x1024, in software renderer its still fast enough
H2DOS - Hexen 2 port
Toshinden demo - some slowdown utility is needed..
Albion - sound is working, but mouse behavior is problematic..
Heretic 1 - interesting its that its Doom 1 or 2 engine, but maybe later implemetation and Doom 1 is not working..
Husita Demo - sound are ok, im not sure if demo even has some music..
Warcraft1 - it has not Virtualbox.. too fast scrolling problem, game speed right. On game exit HDPMI: fata exit 0005..
Carmageddon - time counter, could be twice as faster, im not sure, but its way better than Virtualbox, playble..
Descent 1 - sound, music and rendering is fine, but game is super fast.. and it would need some slowdown utility
NHL97 - sound are working but there is sometimes so unwanted additional noise effect
Not working games, overall virtual machine not just sound -Bad news:
Warcraft 2 setup - FX card detected, but during test JemmEX: expecion OC occured at CS:EIP=039D"000012A, ERRC=000000 machine crash.. Music test is fine.
GODs - quite suprise that such game is working at all.., but after while sound is lost in some game situation
Doom1 - stuck on SB init, interesting is that with Virtualbox is working, so HDA audio impelemention has to be slighly different.. Doom2 is working.
Zdemo - working but very silent.. so im marking it as not working
NHL93 - sound its working, i can play the game, but bottom screen stats graphics is broken..
Screamer 2 demo - sound card autodetection machine freeze..
Ishar1 - better than in virtualbox not crash and some sound effect at the start, after its way too silent or broken.. probably broken, but i expected nothing, i this game written for original isa SB..
Dungeon master 2 demo - setup.exe execution crash whole virtual machine hard
Abuse - setup can detect midi device, there is just MPU option not working, sound card detection is fine, but stuck on execution Exception OE in ring 0000 and noise sound..
Ishar 3 - music only not sound effects
Other advantages of Vmware:
- no keyboard problems as Vbox and Qemu, filemanagers are running fine.. More compatible VGA card and less too fast game problem than Vbox..
- i can push Quake 2 (Q2DOS) 1280x1024 with software renderer fast enough, no chance for such speed with Dosbox or PCem, there is clearly Virtual machine winner, well expect OpenGL on emulated Voodoo cards, but it would be slower, but better looking..
- on some super modern machine can virtual machine provide higher compatibility than physical one and less hassle to setup.. I mean modern video card would be used less compatible that emulated one and slower for DOS, more memory conflicts to avoid from roms, using secondary videocard is hassle to and only some MB manufactors have switch for primary videocard slot..
- much easier to debug for, no zillion HW variants, bios issues.. you can just share you modern desktop through Teamview/Anydesk to you friend a let it debug it for you on the fly..
- faster boot, it can boot in like 5 secs to fully setup DOS enviroment with lots of utilities.. Try it no physical machine it takes like 30sec usually.
- multitasking i mean, you can play in the second Windows, monitor you can write the modes for more complex games..
- no noisy CD /DVD roms
- no noisy old machine, or need to have space for them..
- is yeah you have to pay to it, but im using it for work and if you are fine with some questionable origin cheap keys from online keys shop or old versions, its not expensive.. Some old Vmplayer versions were for free too and i doubt that Dos / Win9x implementation changed.. There is also trial to test.
I can push compatibility a bit further if someone will help me with better JEMMEX setting for some yet not working games im using this:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\Drivers\JEMM\JEMMEX.EXE 32768 NOVME A20METHOD:FAST SB SPLIT RAM VERBOSE\
Its fine for some games, but im quite sure that wrong for others.. its that is normal in Dos..
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.