VOGONS

First post, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to admit I know little about sound and audio beyond the surface level knowledge about general differences between sound cards and how to set up audio in games.

In old games there are usually two audio options that need to be configured, "Digital" and "Music". Let's take AWE32 as a sound card sample.

"Digital" is used for effects, speech, etc. and is processed by the card's digital portion and the so called DSP chip, which apparently uses PCM audio.

"Music" is for, well, music and either uses FM synthesis, processed on the card's OPL3 or CQM chip, or Sample-based synthesis, processed on the EMU8000 chip.

I know that initially, because of storage constraints, recorded digital music wasn't used until CDs became commonplace. However (and I might be misunderstanding this), apparently PCM sampling (if that is even a correct term) was also a thing.

Was the lack of digital music solely because of storage issues, or were there other limitations? Did that also apply to "PCM sampled" music? Is this also what people refer to as "MOD sound", chiptune, etc. or are these different things?

P.S.

I might've used a few wrong terminologies up there. The audio scene is too complex; the more I read, the more confusing it gets.

Reply 1 of 13, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The lack of sample-based music wasn't about storage limitations only, it was also about limited CPU power.

Before GUS and AWE32, common PC sound cards offered the following:
- up to 11 (OPL2) or 20 (OPL3) FM channels
- 1 or 2 PCM channels

Let's assume we have some music, composed for eg. 8 channels...
so, there are two approaches possible:
- use 8 FM channels
- use samples, requires mixing them into 1 or 2 PCM channels - needs a lot of CPU power, for low-end PCs probably impossible

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 13, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Generally when talking about sample-based music, there are two scenarios:

1) Playback involving sound modules or wavetable daughterboards that contains digital sound samples (typically stored in ROM), and are fed MIDI data (essentially digital sheet music) for playback using those samples. The audio hardware generates the music playback based on the MIDI data (pitch, length, etc.). Since different audio hardware can include different digital samples, the same MIDI music file played back on different hardware will often sound different.

2) For tracker music (.MOD, .S3M, .IT, etc.) these include a form of digital sheet music (similar to MIDI), but also include digital audio samples as part of the file itself. When playing back music, these digital samples are processed in a similar fashion adjusting pitch, length, etc., to generate the music. But since the included digital files are part of the tracker file, these will generally sound the same regardless of the sound card used.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 13, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2023-03-16, 20:59:

The lack of sample-based music wasn't about storage limitations only, it was also about limited CPU power.
- use samples, requires mixing them into 1 or 2 PCM channels - needs a lot of CPU power, for low-end PCs probably impossible

Aren't the cards supposed to do the heavy lifting though? What about games of the Pentium 1 era? It seems even then digital music wasn't used in games, or perhaps was and I'm not aware of them? or even a P1 is not enough?

Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-16, 21:00:

2) For tracker music (.MOD, .S3M, .IT, etc.) these include a form of digital sheet music (similar to MIDI), but also include digital audio samples as part of the file itself. When playing back music, these digital samples are processed in a similar fashion adjusting pitch, length, etc., to generate the music. But since the included digital files are part of the tracker file, these will generally sound the same regardless of the sound card used.

Was this the only method of doing digital game music? Any games you know that use them?

Reply 4 of 13, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eddman wrote on 2023-03-16, 22:21:
Grzyb wrote on 2023-03-16, 20:59:

Aren't the cards supposed to do the heavy lifting though?

No.
Before GUS/AWE32 (1992/93), playback of more than 2 PCM channels required mixing them in software, using the CPU.

What about games of the Pentium 1 era? It seems even then digital music wasn't used in games, or perhaps was and I'm not aware of them? or even a P1 is not enough?

Pentium was released in 1993.
GUS and AWE32 were already on the market, with up to 32 PCM channels.
No need to mix PCM in software anymore.
And yes, in that era sample-based music got common, but only available on cards with wavetable synthesis.

Precisely speaking, there was also a bunch of games using sample-based music with software mixing, but not too many...
I can only recall two: Pinball Fantasies and Megablast.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 5 of 13, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2023-03-16, 23:03:

No.
Before GUS/AWE32 (1992/93), playback of more than 2 PCM channels required mixing them in software, using the CPU.

Those are the type of cards I had in mind. Basically anything from SB16 and up that can do hardware mixing. (Ok, now I get it. I was somehow confusing it with cards that can output more than stereo audio.)

EDIT: Isn't the term "voices", as in AWE32 being able to mix 32 voices in hardware?

Grzyb wrote on 2023-03-16, 23:03:

And yes, in that era sample-based music got common, but only available on cards with wavetable synthesis.

Maybe I'm just not understanding this correctly. Aren't these a different kind of sampling, compared to PCM? I thought wavetable MIDI music was a different thing.

For example, shouldn't a card like SB16, with no extra attachments, be able to play PCM music?

EDIT:
So CD audio, although being digital PCM based, can be played on all digital cards because it's basically all pre-mixed and hence the processing load is much lower. (I guess 16-bit and 44.1 KHz support are needed though)

Last edited by eddman on 2023-03-16, 23:39. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 6 of 13, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was this the only method of doing digital game music? Any games you know that use them?

Generally digital game music back then would be in the form of MIDI + wavetable samples, tracker music or recorded CD-audio. All of those could be considered digital game music.

Insofar as games that use tracker music specifically there were a number back in the mid-90s including the Jazz Jackrabbit series, One Must Fall 2097, Epic Pinball, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Deus Ex, Star Control 2, and Crusader: No Remorse & No Regret.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 7 of 13, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eddman wrote on 2023-03-16, 23:14:

Maybe I'm just not understanding this correctly. Aren't these a different kind of sampling, compared to PCM? I thought wavetable MIDI music was a different thing.

Sound modules also use PCM. Samples are typically stored digitally in ROM.

Tracker files and MIDI + wavetables are more or less the same idea: digital sound samples coupled with synthesis to manipulate them as part of musical playback.

The difference is where the samples are stored and what is doing the processing.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 8 of 13, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wavetable, samples, PCM - it's all about the same.

SB16 lacks wavetable synthesis, so it can only play PCM music via software mixing, with heavy load of the CPU.

Reply 9 of 13, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reunion also has mod tracks, at least in the intro. You can find them in the folders and play them back with a tracker program.

Reply 10 of 13, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eddman wrote on 2023-03-16, 23:14:

Isn't the term "voices", as in AWE32 being able to mix 32 voices in hardware?

Yes, "channels" is usually equal to "voices".

So CD audio, although being digital PCM based, can be played on all digital cards because it's basically all pre-mixed and hence the processing load is much lower. (I guess 16-bit and 44.1 KHz support are needed though)

Yes, pre-mixed PCM playback needs less CPU power.
but...
with CD audio, it's even better - there's *ZERO* CPU load, as the playback is handled by the CD-ROM drive itself.

Reply 11 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wavetable is essentially based on same technology used by a "ROMpler".
A soundcard with soundfont support thus would be a "RAMpler".

The MT-32 MIDI module uses LA synthesis on top of short PCM snippets stored in its ROM chip.
Due to it having RAM, too, it can receive a limited amount of new PCM samples over MIDI messages.

In some way or another, the Gravis Ultrasound, the Yamaha OPL, the EMU8000 and the Super Nintendo's SPC-700 module all support wavetable.

The difference to later MIDI standards is, that the MT-32 can modify the existing waveforms (attack, decay etc).
It thus is more like a synthesizer, not just a ROMpler/RAMpler device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rompler

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 13, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2023-03-16, 23:50:

with CD audio, it's even better - there's *ZERO* CPU load, as the playback is handled by the CD-ROM drive itself.

That only applies when using a vxd driver though, correct?

With wdm you don't need the cable and I assume the sound card and/or CPU do the processing.

I suppose it'd also depend on the drive itself having audio playback capabilities and a cable connector.

Last edited by eddman on 2023-03-17, 09:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 13, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
eddman wrote on 2023-03-17, 08:13:
Grzyb wrote on 2023-03-16, 23:50:

That only applies when using a vxd driver though, correct?

No, the drive itself has capabilities to play audio tracks. Those are true audio CD tracks, the tech predates the use of CD for data storage.
So virtually every CD-ROM is a classic CD audio player + additional features to store the files.