VOGONS

First post, by LChackr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before I go down the rabbit hole of trying stuff I figured someone here would know. Is it possible to use VirtualMIDISynth the same way we can use MUNT to play back MIDI commands sent from a vintage PC?

This works with MUNT (via physical MIDI interface from old PC to more modern PC) but I'd also like to use sound fonts. Is there a way to do this that maybe I am not considering?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 5, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another alternative is FluidSynth, which is cross-platform, though can be tricky to set up as it's a command-line application or a library. It's used in the MT32-Pi, for instance, running on the Circle bare-metal environment for the Pi.

Reply 3 of 5, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kamerat has already mentioned FSMP so here is a demonstration video from Phil about how to achieve something similar to what you want:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRyPjvbDkvg&t=8s

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 5 of 5, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

softmpu over a serial null modem connection between pc's is the way i do this. there are roland or yamaha serial midi drivers you can install on the soundfont pc under win9x/xp/later? or hairless serial midi bridge for winxp-10 (or linux).

munt, timidity or falcosoft (vsti) midi player can connect directly to the incoming serial midi port or you can use midiyoke/loopmidi to connect to any other midi player like fluidsynth, roland vsc, yamaha syxg50 etc... here are some example workflows:

dos pc > softmpu > null modem cable > roland serial midi driver > falcosoft midi player > bassmidi vst (or any vsti)> sf2 soundfont

dos pc > softmpu > null modem cable > yamaha cbx200w driver > timidity (player or service) > gus/sf2 soundfont

dos pc > softmpu > null modem cable > hairless serial midi bridge > midiyoke/loopmidi > fluidsynth > sf2 soundfont