VOGONS

First post, by RetroPi314

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally made the plunge to dip back into my past when my brother gave me an older HP Slim Client. I installed Win98 over the XP version it came with for its DOS support. Slow going to get everything back up to speed, but I've hit a block at the sound card. This rig has a nice YMF724 inside, and while it works great in XP, I have yet to get it to work in 98. Using the 98 DS-XG installer, I can get it to be recognized, but it encounters a BSOD the moment the installer finishes. What's more, if I reset the computer, I get a Windows Protection Error and it will refuse to start. If I then unplug the card, Windows starts up with no issue.

I'm considering just getting a Sound Blaster like I had when I was little, but I'd like to see if I can get this Yamaha to work. I've tried everything that I can think of, even tried to install it inside of DOS but I'm either using the wrong driver, or the wrong settings, and there's no spot on the motherboard for an SB Link. I did some additional searching here and even tried out the altered driver packs that were made in another YMF724 thread, but no such luck. Anyone have additional knowledge of this card and know what the problem may be?

HP t5740 (with the PCI expansion for the sound card)
Intel Atom N280, 1.66GHz
2 GB RAM
Intel GL40 On-board Graphics
Transcend 4GB SSD

Thank you for your help!