VOGONS

First post, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

What are any sound cards (onboard or not) that have 'built-in' support of Downloadable Sound (DLS-2) banks ?

Thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 8, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Yamaha XG soundcards had DLS support, where you could load a DLS bank into the memory allocated to the card, to provide better sound than the Microsoft Software Synth or to use the DLS file as game sound samples. I believe the limit was around 8MB. Apart from that, the Aureal Vortex-powered cards also used DLS. Some other audio chips implemented DLS in their drivers as well, using it for MIDI, via an XG-compatible DLS file that Yamaha made available for free use, called DLSByXG. Many non-Sound Blaster cards that came out for Windows 98/ME, with an intended use for gaming, had it, but most people never used DLS.

Reply 2 of 8, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Appreciate it, but the Yamaha XG sound cards I 'm aware of (based on YMF7xx chip) all had DLS level-1 support and not level-2 and that maybe is why it could only load up to a 8 MB DLS sound bank. Yes almost any sound bank can beat the Microsoft Software Synth. And especially in games DLS banks are much better than MS Soft Synth. There are many sound cards based on Aureal Vortex but most, if not all, are also DLS level-1 and not level-2. What is the name of the other audio chips that implemented DLS in their drivers ? Yes what is the brand and name of of these non-Sound Blaster cards that came out for Windows 98/ME ? That was a small time frame from 1998 to around 2003 that DLS level-2 sound cards were made. If anyone knows more DLS level-2 onboard or PCI sound cards that would be great.

Reply 3 of 8, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DLS was a 100% software feature backed by the MIDI Association, so if DLS 2 files were supported or support added in a software update for whatever DLS-capable soundcard software or soft-synth program you were using, it was supported. Outside of the professional/creative market, DLS was never widely used for music beyond the DLS 1 Microsoft Software Synthesizer/QuickTime MIDI Synthesizer licensed from Roland and the free DLSByXG bank from Yamaha , with only a few games using DLS files for sound effect storage, so I'm not sure why you'd bother asking about it. Roland, Yamaha, CASIO, and others all had capable and superior wavetable software synths by the time DLS came around and SoundFont 2.0 had already curb-stomped DLS in the marketplace of creative professionals by the time DLS 2 was a thing.

Reply 4 of 8, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes DLS was a 100% software based synth and is why the Microsoft Soft synth is a DLS file. But since Windows 95 or 98, the Microsoft Soft synth has been DLS level-1 and level-2 still is not possible. I have no clue if the Yamaha XG sound cards (YMF7xx) or others added DLS level-2 support via drivers or if Aureal Vortex sound cards did the same. I think the QuickTime MIDI synth on Mac (but maybe not Windows ?) had DLS level-2 this is something that can be confirmed. Do you know if the DLSByXG is a DLS level-2 bank ? It might be if cannot be used as replacement for gm.dls in Windows, has anyone tried that ? I had no idea some games used DLS files for sound effects. Also, what is the name of the CASIO soft synth that surpasses DLS level-2 ? Yes I want to compare SoundFont 2.0 to DLS level-2 and see what, if anything, is missing.

Reply 5 of 8, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was always interested in finding a software capable of assembling complete, or partial DLS banks (whichever version), Drumkits and GM instruments by converting regular .WAV files or other Soundfont banks, and if ever existed a SF to DLS converter. Also software able to tinker and fool around with the Vortex 2 and Emu 10K synths, these are hardware implementations regardless of the sound bank coming from RAM memory. Sorry for derailing a bit this thread

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 6 of 8, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think such a software is around but it is outdated, and was never updated to work beyond Windows 95 or 98. The name of this program escapes me, but if you look hard enough it can be found. As for SF to DLS converter, there are a few apps that do just such a thing, and are not very old and may still be supported. No clue what you mean by software that can 'mess' with Vortex 2 or Emu 10k synths, is best to keep them running. I did found out the DLSbyXG bank is level-1 and not level-2. Still on the fence if QuickTime's MIDI Synth on Mac or Windows is DLS-2. And could not find any CASIO soft synth that beats DLS-2. It looks like DLS level-2 never really took off. But I hope someone proves me wrong and lists DLS-2 banks, sound cards (especially onboard), or soft synths.

Reply 7 of 8, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
seskanda wrote on 2023-03-28, 16:41:

ed. No clue what you mean by software that can 'mess' with Vortex 2 or Emu 10k synths, is best to keep them running

Have you ever had a Synthesizer in your hands ? like Roland XP10, yamaha dx7 (FM synth) , Korg m1 (sample based) these are fairly cheap and old synths and you can edit, alter and add patches to them. Likewise you can modify every instrument from the default patchset in most Turtle Beach sound cards, using a software , Wavepatch is one, SampleVIsion is another , althoug none of them to my knowledge works with SoundBlaster emu10k

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 8 of 8, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vmunix wrote on 2023-03-28, 20:32:

Have you ever had a Synthesizer in your hands ? like Roland XP10, yamaha dx7 (FM synth) , Korg m1 (sample based) these are fairly cheap and old synths and you can edit, alter and add patches to them. Likewise you can modify every instrument from the default patchset in most Turtle Beach sound cards, using a software , Wavepatch is one, SampleVIsion is another , althoug none of them to my knowledge works with SoundBlaster emu10k

Yes but only a software synthesizer not hardware. These all seem to be hardware synths so I have not used any of them before, but soft synths also allow you to edit, alter, and add patches to it. I did not know Turtle Beach sound cards had software like Wavepatch or SampleVision that let you change the patches that is pretty cool. But if you look up 'soundfont editor' the one for Emu10k will come up. Hope you or anyone can find info on DLS level-2 sound banks, cards, or synths.