VOGONS

First post, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello everyone,

Just found something interesting: It's a Windows 3.1 wave form driver for the AdLib Music Synthesizer Card.
Does anybody of you have experience with this one? I suppose it uses the YM3812 as a simple DAC, perhaps by playing with volume control.

Or maybe, I thought, it uses CSM.. Hence, I didn't try it out in emulation yet:
The speech of Xacalite in Silpheed didn't work out very well, as some of you may remember (it used an rarely used OPL1 feature). ;)

So if some of you have a 286 or higher PC with an AdLib card installed, please have a look it. :)
It also works with Windows 3.0 MME and can coexist with the AdLib MIDI driver..

Best regards,
Jo22

Attachments

• Filename
    ADLIBW.ZIP
    File size
    6.42 KiB
    Downloads
    78 downloads
    File comment
    AdLib Waveform Driver for Windows 3.1 and Multimedia Windows
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 10, by n0p

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-04-22, 23:02:

So if some of you have a 286 or higher PC with an AdLib card installed, please have a look it. 😀

Thanks! I can confirm this drivers works (and sound is very clear, really) in Windows 95 on Hand386

Reply 2 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
n0p wrote on 2023-08-06, 10:59:
Jo22 wrote on 2023-04-22, 23:02:

So if some of you have a 286 or higher PC with an AdLib card installed, please have a look it. 😀

Thanks! I can confirm this drivers works (and sound is very clear, really) in Windows 95 on Hand386

Glad to hear! ^^ Thank you, too for testing! 😎 👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 10, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The quality is so good. Adlib is a no DMA sound blaster. Why was it not used more

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 4 of 10, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote on 2023-08-06, 21:46:

The quality is so good. Adlib is a no DMA sound blaster. Why was it not used more

Adlib as DAC is 6-bit, right?
So it's worse than non-DMA SB, or Covox.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

6bit logarithmic per operator, but you won't be using several channels or ops to get more since the access is far too slow to make it work well enough to increase resolution. That 6bit log volume control is comparable to something between 4...5 bits linear DAC

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 10, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't logarithmic supposed to provide better dynamic range than linear?
A-law and μ-law are based on that idea...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 7 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here you one side of the waveform (because you play with the volume control and not the source sample itself in the YM chip) and not both sides around the zero point, so it really really hurts whan can be achieved. One half of the waveform you try to play has very low precision and other half has increasing precision toward the extremes where it doesn't need it, while stuff like A and µLaw have the precision near the zero point where it is most needed and begin to lose in as amplitude increases but where it no longer is necessary to have. I don't right now have access to my test data from older times when I was playing around with it, I could show exactly the problem and its effects.

Reply 8 of 10, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2023-08-07, 17:48:

6bit logarithmic per operator, but you won't be using several channels or ops to get more since the access is far too slow to make it work well enough to increase resolution. That 6bit log volume control is comparable to something between 4...5 bits linear DAC

Yes, I vaguely recall that I once worked out that even a single channel can only play at about 30 kHz on an OPL2 because you couldn't send the commands faster.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 9 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In optimal case you can only reach the chips' own sample rate (which requires synchronity with the chip for best results) but to do any of the advanced stuff you need more than that and it is impossible even on the chips with much shorter access times like OPL3. (I have not tested OPL2 per se but I have worked with its relative OPLL, OPN, OPM chips and all of those can take a new byte every sample period when you don't set up index value)