VOGONS

First post, by webman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I built a replica adlib card recently that i'm having problems with. In my 486 it runs great. Sound works on anything I test it with. If I put it in a 8088 machine, I get nothing and the adlib test program does not find it. I am thinking its a IO port conflict, but not sure how to track it down.

Any ideas?

If it helps, I am running on a micro 8088 by Sergey, with a XTIDE and his floppy drive. The XTIDE is on port 360. I have tied removing as many cards as I can with no change.

Reply 1 of 2, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you test whether the OSC pin on the ISA bus has a working 14.318MHz signal? This signal provides the clock for the OPL2 chip, and if that clock is missing, the usual OPL2 detection algorithm fails.

Reply 2 of 2, by SergeK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What Adlib test program do you use?

It should be the OSC signal unless the chipset, the 74*244 buffer (U12), or the R3 resistor are somehow bad. It is not particularly likely, but worth checking.
If I recall correctly OPL2 uses ports 388h and 389h, so there shouldn't be a conflict between that and your XT-IDE, but if in doubt copy your test program to a bootable floppy, remove XT-IDE and test again...