VOGONS

First post, by HellFire376

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm working on a retro gaming pc from around late 99 and I'm have no problems getting everything working except for the sound card, a vortex 2. In Windows 98 SE, I got the sound card working once the other day so I can confirm it's functional, but since then I haven't gotten it to work. If I use the regular vortex 2041 drivers with no modifications, while booting into windows it will say this in a DOS screen for a few seconds until booting into windows with no sound at all. Even the audio drivers without the DOS mode support do not have any sound inside windows 98. I've also tried tweaking a few BIOS settings but no luck, partially because I think I have no idea what some of these settings do. (I haven't bothered to try Windows XP since I'm aware that the driver has only basic support) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"C:\> SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D3 T4

C:\>LH C:\WINDOWS\AU30DOS.COM

VORTEX DOS AUDIO DRIVER (2.007) Copyright (c) 1997-1999 Aureal Semiconductor
PCI AUDIO PRO enabled at Ports 220-22Fh, Interrupt 5, DMA 3, Joystick 201h.

ERROR #11: CODEC failure. Driver not loaded"

If it helps here's the specs of the machine:
Motherboard - EPOX EP-7KXA with KX133 VIA based chipset
CPU - AMD Slot A K7
GPU - Creative 3D Blaster Annihilator Pro (Geforce DDR) using Nvidia 21.83 Drivers for Win 9x
RAM - 256MB PC100
Sound Card - Aureal Vortex 2 (AU8830A2)
ofc some IDE drives and floppy drive
and eventually planning to add a Realtek 10/100 Ethernet card and an Ultra100 IDE PCI card

EDIT: I ended up fixing the issue, what I needed to do was reserve IRQ5 and DMA1 to Legacy ISA mode rather that PCI PnP

Last edited by HellFire376 on 2023-06-01, 18:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Dolenc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Theres a driver install procedure on winXp that will give a3d support, the sound can crack a bit in some games with a3d enabled but for your case doesnt matter.

You should try it, xp is better with managing resources and at least you will get confirmation that everything really works. Not just, it worked once.

Maybe its something dumb, as just the contacts on the pci are a bit dirty and card just needs to be reinserted.

Reply 2 of 7, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does Device Manager should the device and driver are loaded without error? Are there any messages in the event log?

If it appears to work but there's no sound, are you just using the front stereo output? If so try the rear with a 3D sound demo. Maybe something is dodgy with the front jack or amp. And the rear working or not could narrow it down to either a hardware or software issue.

If you haven't also remove the card and clean the contact pins and try different PCI slots.

Reply 3 of 7, by HellFire376

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dolenc wrote on 2023-05-06, 13:54:

Theres a driver install procedure on winXp that will give a3d support, the sound can crack a bit in some games with a3d enabled but for your case doesnt matter.

You should try it, xp is better with managing resources and at least you will get confirmation that everything really works. Not just, it worked once.

Maybe its something dumb, as just the contacts on the pci are a bit dirty and card just needs to be reinserted.

I'll see about trying then once I get a chance, and maybe i'll need to see if the pins are dirty

Reply 4 of 7, by HellFire376

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2023-05-06, 14:18:

Does Device Manager should the device and driver are loaded without error? Are there any messages in the event log?

If it appears to work but there's no sound, are you just using the front stereo output? If so try the rear with a 3D sound demo. Maybe something is dodgy with the front jack or amp. And the rear working or not could narrow it down to either a hardware or software issue.

If you haven't also remove the card and clean the contact pins and try different PCI slots.

yes it shows the device and drivers, it even shows there are no errors and that it works fine. I've gotten the card to somewhat work now with the version 2015 drivers, but now it's freezing up after a while of playing MIDI files or using games like duke nukem 3d

Reply 5 of 7, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HellFire376 wrote on 2023-05-05, 18:24:

with KX133 VIA based chipset

At VIA based motherboard you should firsteble instal VIA-4-in-1 chipset driver.
Or get such glitches ....

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 6 of 7, by HellFire376

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-05-07, 05:23:
HellFire376 wrote on 2023-05-05, 18:24:

with KX133 VIA based chipset

At VIA based motherboard you should firsteble instal VIA-4-in-1 chipset driver.
Or get such glitches ....

That's one of the first things I did, and the chipset driver does stabilize the system a lot more.

Reply 7 of 7, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try installing Windows 2000 to test.
On buggy hardware, it is usually not installed or BSODed.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value