VOGONS

First post, by terrormiah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I've recently set up win98 system with an with a Montego sound card installed (chip au8820b2, NOT a Vortex 2). After installing all the Turtle Beach software it seems that there is some sort of virtual midi device bundled and I don't really know my way around it and can't find much information. Basically I'm hoping to use it get midi support from DOS game whether that be in real dos mode or win98 dos box but it's acting sort of strange.

For example if i load up the Blood audio setup utility i can select sound canvas and get nice sounding midi music. However if I select soundblaster for my soundfx card and test the program crashes. When I boot the same utility in DOS mode soundfx works as intended but I know longer have soundcanvas music only the poorly emulated Adlib or SoundBlaster. It also seems like the music timing is way off and instruments are all over the place.

I'm going to continue messing around but am really no expert on this sort of thing and am looking for some guidance. I am planning on purchasing a dreamblaster x2 eventually to install on the waveblaster port but would like to do what i can virtually until then, if possible.

Reply 1 of 1, by terrormiah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: The Blood soundtest thing seems to be a fluke, it'll play the theme song under GM or SC once but subsequent tests give me MPU-401 could not be detected error. I have installed VirtualSoundCanvas3 but not sure how to get dos game to detect it as a midi device.