VOGONS

First post, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I'm having a problem with Half-Life (pre-Steam) CD music: before the game plays a track, it freezes for 2-3 seconds and then it resumes and plays the track.
The game runs as expected, but this stuttering on the CD OST breaks the pace and it's annoying...

I tought the problem could be the CD drive, but it works well with other games, like Quake/Quake 2, and in general with audio CDs (when playing the Half-Life OST in Windows 98 player, I have no problem 🤔).

Filename
half_life.ogg
File size
156.77 KiB
Downloads
58 downloads
File comment
Half-Life OST stuttering example
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Filename
quake.ogg
File size
112.63 KiB
Downloads
60 downloads
File comment
Quake OST working well - transition to end level music
File license
CC-BY-4.0

What could be the problem?

BTW, these are the retro PC specs, where I'm playing Half-Life:

• CPU: Intel Pentium II 400MHz
  • RAM: 128MB SDRAM
  • Video: NVidia Riva 128ZX + 3Dfx Voodoo2
  • Audio: SoundBlaster Live! CT4670
  • CD-Drive: LG IDE CD-ROM 40x (have to check the model) set with digital audio (2-pin cable)

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 19, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I experienced this as well when I recently replayed Half-Life.

My guess is that, since CD audio is used very rarely in this game, the drive spins down in-between tracks. The stutter likely occurs when the game requests another track to be played, and the drive needs to spin up first. In contrast, Quake 2 is constantly looping a single CD audio track for the entirety of the level, so the drive is always in use.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 19, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your system isn't at the absolute lowest end for system requirements and can handle MP3 playback during gameplay, you should patch the game at least to version 1.1.1.0 and then rip the CD-tracks.

Place ripped tracks into X:\dir\Half-Life\valve\media and name the files like so:

1. Half-Life01.mp3
  2. Prospero01.mp3
  3. Half-Life12.mp3
  4. Half-Life07.mp3
  5. Half-Life10.mp3
  6. Suspense01.mp3
  7. Suspense03.mp3
  8. Half-Life09.mp3
  9. Half-Life02.mp3
  10. Half-Life13.mp3
  11. Half-Life04.mp3
  12. Half-Life15.mp3
  13. Half-Life14.mp3
  14. Half-Life16.mp3
  15. Suspense02.mp3
  16. Half-Life03.mp3
  17. Half-Life08.mp3
  18. Prospero02.mp3
  19. Half-Life05.mp3
  20. Prospero04.mp3
  21. Half-Life11.mp3
  22. Half-Life06.mp3
  23. Prospero03.mp3
  24. Half-Life17.mp3
  25. Prospero05.mp3
  26. Suspense05.mp3
  27. Suspense07.mp3

Source:
https://www.moddb.com/games/half-life/downloa … n-fov-mp3-patch

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 3 of 19, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-05-14, 13:42:

I experienced this as well when I recently replayed Half-Life.

My guess is that, since CD audio is used very rarely in this game, the drive spins down in-between tracks. The stutter likely occurs when the game requests another track to be played, and the drive needs to spin up first. In contrast, Quake 2 is constantly looping a single CD audio track for the entirety of the level, so the drive is always in use.

Ah, I see.
Maybe a faster CD drive would mitigate the issue, but for now I'm gonna stick with the LG one as it works for other games.
Anyway, thanks for the info 🙂

Reply 4 of 19, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2023-05-14, 14:01:
If your system isn't at the absolute lowest end for system requirements and can handle MP3 playback during gameplay, you should […]
Show full quote

If your system isn't at the absolute lowest end for system requirements and can handle MP3 playback during gameplay, you should patch the game at least to version 1.1.1.0 and then rip the CD-tracks.

Place ripped tracks into X:\dir\Half-Life\valve\media and name the files like so:

1. Half-Life01.mp3
  2. Prospero01.mp3
  3. Half-Life12.mp3
  4. Half-Life07.mp3
  5. Half-Life10.mp3
  6. Suspense01.mp3
  7. Suspense03.mp3
  8. Half-Life09.mp3
  9. Half-Life02.mp3
  10. Half-Life13.mp3
  11. Half-Life04.mp3
  12. Half-Life15.mp3
  13. Half-Life14.mp3
  14. Half-Life16.mp3
  15. Suspense02.mp3
  16. Half-Life03.mp3
  17. Half-Life08.mp3
  18. Prospero02.mp3
  19. Half-Life05.mp3
  20. Prospero04.mp3
  21. Half-Life11.mp3
  22. Half-Life06.mp3
  23. Prospero03.mp3
  24. Half-Life17.mp3
  25. Prospero05.mp3
  26. Suspense05.mp3
  27. Suspense07.mp3

Source:
https://www.moddb.com/games/half-life/downloa … n-fov-mp3-patch

Didn't know there was a patch for mp3 playback on Half-Life pre-Steam release: thanks a lot!
I would prefer to stick with CD music (for historical reasons 😁) but I will install this patch if I don't find any solution.

Reply 5 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was playing mp3s on my 486 back in '96 so historical reasons doesn't really stand.
Prevent the wear and tear on both your CD and the CD drive if you can.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 19, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Demetrio wrote on 2023-05-14, 14:02:

Maybe a faster CD drive would mitigate the issue, but for now I'm gonna stick with the LG one as it works for other games.

no, on the contrary i would rather try a slowdown utility that will run the drive at a constant speed. 40x is no good for playing games off CD because of the constant spinning up/down adding delay, those fast speeds are really only good for things like installs. 8x and slower is optimal for games that actually use the CD.

Reply 7 of 19, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
auron wrote on 2023-05-15, 10:34:

no, on the contrary i would rather try a slowdown utility that will run the drive at a constant speed. 40x is no good for playing games off CD because of the constant spinning up/down adding delay, those fast speeds are really only good for things like installs. 8x and slower is optimal for games that actually use the CD.

Got it.
The CD is used only for playing the OST.
In Windows 98, there's a menu for setting the drive speed: I will try to decrease it.
Thanks anyway 🙂

Reply 8 of 19, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've a favor to ask; I recently played the original Half-Life (patched to 1.1.1.0) on a P4 system with Windows 98, and there's a bug where you will get stuck on elevators. I'm curious to know if you have the same issue on this PC.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 9 of 19, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-05-15, 12:56:

I've a favor to ask; I recently played the original Half-Life (patched to 1.1.1.0) on a P4 system with Windows 98, and there's a bug where you will get stuck on elevators. I'm curious to know if you have the same issue on this PC.

Judging by this old ArsTechnica thread, it was a common bug.

I got killed once by an elevator on On a Rail, but never happened since then.

As suggested on the linked thread, you could jump to avoid getting stuck.

Reply 10 of 19, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I experienced this once in Xen, with those "elevator" spire things. Could reproduce it repeatedly too. Solved by jumping before and during the "elevator" ride, as mentioned above.

But I don't think I've encountered this bug anywhere else during my playthrough.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 11 of 19, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Demetrio wrote on 2023-05-15, 20:57:
Judging by this old ArsTechnica thread, it was a common bug. […]
Show full quote

Judging by this old ArsTechnica thread, it was a common bug.

I got killed once by an elevator on On a Rail, but never happened since then.

As suggested on the linked thread, you could jump to avoid getting stuck.

I was curious to know if it was something that only occurred with certain hardware. Jumping can help, but if you happen to not be in the air when you hit a loading pause, you'll still get stuck. I even played through Half-Life Source on the same Win98 machine, and it played with no issues. I can't imagine the Steam version of Half-Life still has this bug, I wonder when they patched it? I definitely prefer HL-Source, but I'm sure it would not play at all well on a P2 400.

Reply 12 of 19, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-05-15, 21:11:

I experienced this once in Xen, with those "elevator" spire things. Could reproduce it repeatedly too. Solved by jumping before and during the "elevator" ride, as mentioned above.

But I don't think I've encountered this bug anywhere else during my playthrough.

It first happened to me riding the elevator to the surface in "We've Got Hostiles." On that elevator jumping worked, but the spinning platform in "Interloper" was too much for me - it was too easy to fall off, I was trying to fight off a Vortigaunt attack, and I decided to declare victory and call it a day.

Reply 13 of 19, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This thread might be of interest. I just installed that patch, and I can now select 1280x1024. Half-Life 1280x1024 in D3D

Edit: that thread mentions the stuck in an elevator bug so I had some hope that a fix was included in that patch, but it persists.

Reply 14 of 19, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demetrio wrote on 2023-05-15, 11:24:
Got it. The CD is used only for playing the OST. In Windows 98, there's a menu for setting the drive speed: I will try to decrea […]
Show full quote

Got it.
In Windows 98, there's a menu for setting the drive speed: I will try to decrease it.
Thanks anyway 🙂

The setting I've mentioned above is actually for the CD drive cache, based on its speed.
I've seen on another Vogons thread that there's the utility Nero DriveSpeed which can be used to throttle the CD drive speed.
I was not able to find a valid link for the installer: does anyone know where it can be found? Or better, is there a way to set drive speed in Windows 98 without external tools?

Reply 15 of 19, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Demetrio wrote on 2023-05-17, 09:00:

The setting I've mentioned above is actually for the CD drive cache, based on its speed.
I've seen on another Vogons thread that there's the utility Nero DriveSpeed which can be used to throttle the CD drive speed.
I was not able to find a valid link for the installer: does anyone know where it can be found?

It's still available on Softpedia.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how safe or secure that website is nowadays. Many of these old download platforms got bought out by shady advertising companies.

Reply 16 of 19, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The setting I've mentioned above is actually for the CD drive cache, based on its speed. I've seen on another Vogons thread that […]
Show full quote
Got it. The CD is used only for playing the OST. In Windows 98, there's a menu for setting the drive speed: I will try to decrea […]
Show full quote

Got it.
Thanks anyway 🙂

I was not able to find a valid link for the installer: does anyone know where it can be found? Or better, is there a way to set drive speed in Windows 98 without external tools?

Check out the Essential Utilities-section for the guide in my sig - I think I had a direct download link to the archived website for the app there! Many other cool Win95/98 apps there too. 😉

Reply 17 of 19, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2023-05-17, 09:41:
The setting I've mentioned above is actually for the CD drive cache, based on its speed. I've seen on another Vogons thread that […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Got it.
Thanks anyway 🙂

Check out the Essential Utilities-section for the guide in my sig - I think I had a direct download link to the archived website for the app there! Many other cool Win95/98 apps there too. 😉

Thanks a lot 🙂

Unfortunately, the Nero DriveSpeed version from the archive.org link hanged my Win98 system 😁
I've found the 3.00 version from 3dfxzone.it, which worked.

I set up 8x speed and saw minor improvements, but there's still stuttering (I think it's less than before).
There's also a Spin down time option set to Infinity: if I decrease it (like setting it to 4 seconds), could there be improvements?

BTW, I'm gonna check more in depth during gameplay.

Reply 18 of 19, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Demetrio wrote on 2023-05-19, 10:40:
Thanks a lot 🙂 […]
Show full quote
leonardo wrote on 2023-05-17, 09:41:

Thanks a lot 🙂

Unfortunately, the Nero DriveSpeed version from the archive.org link hanged my Win98 system 😁
I've found the 3.00 version from 3dfxzone.it, which worked.

I set up 8x speed and saw minor improvements, but there's still stuttering (I think it's less than before).
There's also a Spin down time option set to Infinity: if I decrease it (like setting it to 4 seconds), could there be improvements?

BTW, I'm gonna check more in depth during gameplay.

I noticed in your first post you mentioned you're using digital media extraction to play the CD instead of the analog mode (CD-audio cable to from CD-drive to the soundcard). Is this accurate? If it is, I would definitely try switching to regular analog audio mode for the CD-drive. edit: For the record, in analog mode the disc spins at 1x regardless of your setting for it in DriveSpeed, because that's how you get music playback.

I once also had a drive that had something wrong with its controller and it wouldn't stay in DMA-mode reliably, which made any disc access when it was working basically halt everything else the system was doing. So yeah, if you don't have a busted drive also make sure you've got DMA enabled for it.

Reply 19 of 19, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2023-05-19, 20:56:

I noticed in your first post you mentioned you're using digital media extraction to play the CD instead of the analog mode (CD-audio cable to from CD-drive to the soundcard). Is this accurate? If it is, I would definitely try switching to regular analog audio mode for the CD-drive. edit: For the record, in analog mode the disc spins at 1x regardless of your setting for it in DriveSpeed, because that's how you get music playback.

Yes, SPDIF with the 2-pin black and white cable.
I could try with analog audio.

leonardo wrote on 2023-05-19, 20:56:

I once also had a drive that had something wrong with its controller and it wouldn't stay in DMA-mode reliably, which made any disc access when it was working basically halt everything else the system was doing. So yeah, if you don't have a busted drive also make sure you've got DMA enabled for it.

DMA mode enabled and the drive seems ok, judging by the tests on Quake I've reported on my first post.