VOGONS

First post, by Eimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking for the correct Windows 98 SE driver for my card, apparently its a Soundblaster AWE 64 Value, model number is CT4520.
Tried this driver: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=37,0
It installs and seems to work, but the device manager is reporting a second Gameport with exclamation mark,
And its giving me VXD error bluescreen when rebooting or shutting down.

I'm mainly planning on playing games up to the late 90s on this machine including DOS games in DOS mode.

what would be the correct driver for this card or should I stick with plain windows 98 drivers?

IMG_8655.jpg
Filename
IMG_8655.jpg
File size
2 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_8657.jpg
Filename
IMG_8657.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

update:
I tried uninstalling the driver and the devices but it keeps looking for the creative driver disk, I'm unable to reinstall the windows 98 drivers.

Reply 1 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AWE64's gameport should have a different name in Device Manager which is "Creative Gameport Joystick". I suggest uninstalling the drivers (both gameports and sound card) in Safe Mode prior reinstallation.

Eimer wrote on 2023-05-21, 21:06:

update:
I tried uninstalling the driver and the devices but it keeps looking for the creative driver disk, I'm unable to reinstall the windows 98 drivers.

It is actually asking where the driver for the AWE64 sound card is located which also contains the necessary driver for the gameport it has. The message about the "Creative driver disk" isn't helpful and can happen with drivers from other brands.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 4, by Eimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yea I found my issue isn't hte driver, it actually has something to do with the motherboard failing to update ESCD and mixing up IRQs..
apparently the bios flash chip was changed to a different unsupported chip I'm asking the seller about it but he said he has no clue...

Reply 3 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just in case, you can also have a look at the installation CD for my AWE64 (model number CT4380): https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApmeVYI0PZURhCPYgYkUGmwSS0wZ?e=4CrtSD
Take note that Creative did release updated drivers subsequent to the original installation CD being released (located in the AWE64 Updates folder).

What motherboard do you have?
Some motherboards had a jumper on the motherboard to "write protect" the BIOS ROM chip. If it is write protected, then it can't updated the ESCD settings. Try jumpering it (temporarily) to not prevent writing to the BIOS ROM and see if you can then successfully update the ESCD.

Reply 4 of 4, by Eimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2023-05-24, 21:10:

What motherboard do you have?
Some motherboards had a jumper on the motherboard to "write protect" the BIOS ROM chip. If it is write protected, then it can't updated the ESCD settings. Try jumpering it (temporarily) to not prevent writing to the BIOS ROM and see if you can then successfully update the ESCD.

its a Soyo 5BT5 rev 1.1 but the bios chip has been replaced at one point, there is no write protect as I flashed a bios already.
seems the previous owner went for a 256KB chip instead of the original 128 which messes with the ESCD flash not working.
I don't know which chip is designed for this board and I don't have the equipment to flash it. but since everything else works except for reboot bluescreens, I'm gonna leave it as is for now...