VOGONS

First post, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, as I was browsing the SB AWE32 books, I found mention of loading the CM-32L drum kit. I got excited with the idea and wanted to try it with Might & Magic 3, which uses CM-32L for additional sound effects you miss on the MT-32. However, for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to load this drumkit. I haven't found any further explanation in the books.. so I'm asking for help here.

I guess you do this via the AWE 32 Control program, where you can choose MT-32 or GS or General Midi for the synth. The book gives an example to replace the program in MIDI channel 10 to 26 for TR 808 drum kit. So I assume this should be similar for the CM32-L. Basically, replace program 10 with 128. But how to do this? Any idea?

I've attached photos of the relevant AWE32 book pages plus some screen shots of AWE32 Control program in case this helps in some way.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you'd need to have the relevant sound font loaded, and then construct a midi file that does the GS reset and then map midi instruments as noted then hope whatever game you wanted to play didnt do a GM/GS reset to mess up what you just did. probably use midiox or something to filter out the reset from the game.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 2 of 3, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As memory serves, the MT-32 soundbank/soundfont (shipped with the AWE range of cards) only contains a small number of additional samples for the MT-32 (that isn't part of the standard GM sample set) and, then also rearranges (maps) the rest of the standard GM samples to more or less match the MIDI map of the MT-32.

Based on what you've posted, it would seem you can access the CM-32L drum kit when you load the GS soundfont but, this will be useless from a gaming perspective since no games will try to access the CM-32L drum kit in that manner.

I haven't seen a CM-32L specific soundfont yet but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there.

Reply 3 of 3, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running Might & Magic 3 with MT-32 option for music under Win98. It works, but the walk sound effect plays a high note instead of the CM-32L's foot steps effect. In the AWE32 panel I have it loading the MT-32 sound bank.

So if I have a CM-32L sound bank, that would possibly work? I never looked into sound font creation, but this "sounds" interesting 😅