VOGONS

First post, by G40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been pulling my hair out (what's left of it) trying to get FM sound via MIDI working on my XP P4 machine. Couldn't get my trusty ESS solo 1 working last night (Re: Help installing ESS Solo 1 in XP), but by a stroke of luck, an eBay purchase YMF-724 equipped card arrived in the post this morning.

I stuck it in, booted up, and it worked right away! FM synth showed up as a MIDI device and worked in my favourite MIDI sequencer. Amazing!

Then I thought I'd be clever and install the "proper" driver. This worked, in as much as it replaced the FM synth with with the XG wavetable synth as the MIDI device. 🙁 In an ideal world I'd like to be able to access both, but here and now I need access to FM voices via MIDI.

Tried installing PowerYMF, which seemed happy, but still no sign of FM.

Uninstalled both, rebooted, XP wanted to connect to the internet to install drivers (machine is offline), failed to install. Pulled card. Rebooted. Turned off, reinstalled and booted up, same again. Put the Windows CD in but it couldn't find drivers. Tried selecting it manually from a list but couldn't find it.

I'm kicking myself because it sounded great (in a weedy lo-fi way) for about 5 minutes.

Any idea how I can either roll back to the standard XP driver which worked fine for FM or even better find a driver which allows access to both MIDI synths?

Reply 1 of 5, by G40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just had another look following finding this post [YAMAHA YMF724] OPL3 features support on Windows XP, impossible?

I have enabled legacy mode, and unlike the poster there, successfully installed the new legacy device, but the FM synth still isn't available as a MIDI device.

I'm kicking myself for trying to improve on the standard XP driver (which has now disappeared), it appears I have system restore turned off too so that's not an option.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
G40 wrote on 2023-07-17, 14:28:

Just thought I'd ask to see if anyone's managet to get FM and XG MIDI working at the same time - in any OS. It would be nice!

Both XG and FM synth work fine under Win98SE using the stock Yamaha 1040 drivers. You can find those on Phil's website. Specifically, you want this file:

yamaha_dsxg_driver_win_95_98_me_v._4.07.1040__directx7_certified_.exe

In the past, I used one of these YMF7x4 cards for DOS gaming, and it was really nice to have both options available.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 5, by G40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-07-17, 14:43:
Both XG and FM synth work fine under Win98SE using the stock Yamaha 1040 drivers. You can find those on Phil's website. Specific […]
Show full quote
G40 wrote on 2023-07-17, 14:28:

Just thought I'd ask to see if anyone's managet to get FM and XG MIDI working at the same time - in any OS. It would be nice!

Both XG and FM synth work fine under Win98SE using the stock Yamaha 1040 drivers. You can find those on Phil's website. Specifically, you want this file:

yamaha_dsxg_driver_win_95_98_me_v._4.07.1040__directx7_certified_.exe

In the past, I used one of these YMF7x4 cards for DOS gaming, and it was really nice to have both options available.

Useful info, thanks.