VOGONS

First post, by Eimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Currently running windows 98se and a awe64 CT4520 (the one with the colored jacks)
Struggling to get full dos sound support in real dos mode (F8 on cold boot)
The driver disk doesn’t seem to come with all the required drivers for dos even though its listed in setup?
Anyways, I was able to get sound working but struggling to get opl music working.
Running ctcm did not work.

I found a workaround by downloading diagnose.exe.
This seems to load the required drivers along with the program. Quitting the GUI makes games like duke3d finally play the music.
But how can I integrate the drivers into config.sys and autoexec.bat without having to run the diagnostic tool everytime?

I’m still debating if I shouldn’t just install dos 6.22 on a separate drive and install the plain dos drivers but people keep telling me that it wouldn’t be necessary since it should work in win 98 dos mode with no problem and the advantages such ad fat32 support are worth it.

Any Suggestions/help ?

Reply 2 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you check how the resources for the AWE64 are set in Device Manager? Those settings affect the way how CTCM (which reads CTPNP.INI) initializes the sound card in MS-DOS mode.

P.S.: Don't use DIAGNOSE /S for initialization, that was intended for non-PnP Creative sound cards where only the IRQ and DMA channels can be configured on the fly.

Meatball wrote on 2023-06-05, 21:19:

Unless you really want Creative, have you tried Unisound?

UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

That's the easy way out. BTW, UNISOUND isn't capable of applying reverb and chorus to the FM synth.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, those resources are correct. Can you show the contents of CTPNP.INI? The file is located in C:\WINDOWS by default if the AWE64 driver was installed thru the CD.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS