VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For Adlib music playback, yup, it should work fine in a 5150. Not sure about programming for SB-specific features though (e.g. PCM playback).

But as you say, could be fun to try. 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 21 of 28, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Be sure to add the CMS chips for Game Blaster support. For XT-era stuff, that's more useful than SB DA - even CPU power aside, games that would run on an 8088 assume 8088 storage capacity, which means almost no sample-based stuff, it's just too big.

Reply 22 of 28, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you guys know if that listing on eBay marked as "CMS upgrade for CT1350" will work without modification on the CT1320? I was under the impression they were just those two chips, but is there more to it?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 23 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-06-08, 03:58:

Do you guys know if that listing on eBay marked as "CMS upgrade for CT1350" will work without modification on the CT1320? I was under the impression they were just those two chips, but is there more to it?

The 1320 only needs the 2 chips which should be available way cheaper than the set for the 1350b.

All you should need for the 1320 is a pair of Philips SAA1099.

Here is a listing for 3 of them for about $7 shipped:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3PCS-SAA1099P-SAA109 … 1-127632-2357-0

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24 of 28, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah don't buy a "kit" with the gal chip for the 1350b as they are overcharging. Those looking for the gal probably should just buy a gal directly from a supplier and find someone to program it if you don't have a programmer. It ought be as little as $2.

Reply 25 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Be careful with incompatible GALs/PALs, though.
I retrofitted my CT1350B for CMS back then when the GAL code was freshly reverse-engineered.

- Some users remember this time maybe, when the file was compatible with certain CT1350B revisions only.

Back then, some users had trouble with non-working GALs from certain manufacturers and/or sources.

So I can't agree with the idea that saving money is a good idea here.
Personally, I'd rather spend a bit more memory on a known-good part.
Otherwise, you may end up frying your OPL2 chip.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 27 of 28, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-06-07, 15:33:
^ This. […]
Show full quote
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-06-07, 14:59:

I've yet to find a single game that plays worth a shit on a stock PC/XT which supports soundblaster (PCM audio)

There are a couple for adlib. If you broaden the scope to "turbo XTs" then it works

^ This.

At minimum, early sound cards really needed a Turbo XT or XT/286 hybrid system to start taking advantage of what they could offer.

Though for even for the Turbo XT, era I'd favor a Tandy machine with Tandy 3-channel sound.

Once you hit late 1989 / early 1990, it's the era of 286 + VGA + Adlib / SB.

Agree 100%. I had an XT clone that ran an 8mhz V20 CPU. I threw my 1350b in there for a bit just to see how it would run and it was largely a waste of time. Lemmings and POP both played at least OK and supported it. But those games play just fine on my 486 so just no need to play them slowly on an XT. Everything else I tried that supported it was just to slow to be playable. I love the EGA version of Loom and even it was just shy of being playable. If I can ever find a nice one id really like a 286, so im pretty much hanging on to the SB 2.0 for that imaginary future computer 🤣.

I WILL say I don't find the 1350b to be nearly as noisy as people say. But I suppose allot of that depends on the computer its in. Haven't tried a 1.0 or 1.5.

Reply 28 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FinalJenemba wrote on 2023-06-09, 04:34:
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-06-07, 15:33:
^ This. […]
Show full quote
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-06-07, 14:59:

I've yet to find a single game that plays worth a shit on a stock PC/XT which supports soundblaster (PCM audio)

There are a couple for adlib. If you broaden the scope to "turbo XTs" then it works

^ This.

At minimum, early sound cards really needed a Turbo XT or XT/286 hybrid system to start taking advantage of what they could offer.

Though for even for the Turbo XT, era I'd favor a Tandy machine with Tandy 3-channel sound.

Once you hit late 1989 / early 1990, it's the era of 286 + VGA + Adlib / SB.

Agree 100%. I had an XT clone that ran an 8mhz V20 CPU. I threw my 1350b in there for a bit just to see how it would run and it was largely a waste of time. Lemmings and POP both played at least OK and supported it. But those games play just fine on my 486 so just no need to play them slowly on an XT. Everything else I tried that supported it was just to slow to be playable. I love the EGA version of Loom and even it was just shy of being playable. If I can ever find a nice one id really like a 286, so im pretty much hanging on to the SB 2.0 for that imaginary future computer 🤣.

I WILL say I don't find the 1350b to be nearly as noisy as people say. But I suppose allot of that depends on the computer its in. Haven't tried a 1.0 or 1.5.

The noise of the 1350b is definitely directly related to how dirty/clean the power being supplied to it is.

I have a 386sx system that had one installed in it when I got it. Noisy as all get out. Thought maybe there was something wrong with the card so I tried it in a much newer system that didn't just have tantalum capacitors and was also using a much newer power supply (Seasonic 80+ Bronze rated). The 1350b was as quiet as could be. Complete night and day difference.

That is only one of the reasons that I try to use a modern, high quality power supply in all my builds unless not possible.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK