VOGONS

First post, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Curious on some thoughts and recommendations for everyone's favorite speakers for this time period. My current 486 build is themed around the 1992-94 era. Everything in the setup is from that time period, except the speakers. Currently running a pair of Cambridge Creative branded SBS52's, and they're fine. But they don't really match and are from 1999 with their bulbous late 90's shape. I'd like to find something that matches the look and year of the system and move the Cambridge's to my PIII machine. Sound card is a SB pro 2.0 so ultimate sound quality isn't the top priority 🤣 just want it to sound period correct.

I know the Rolands are a favorite but I don't really want to spend Roland money, what do you guys run?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there! First off, you have a very nice setup here. It looks very authentic, I think. 😎 👍

The speakers.. Yes, I see what you mean. The current ones aren't bad by any means, though.

My father had owned PC speakers from the early 90s, ca. 1989 to 1993 time frame. I remember them.
It's just the brand/model that I can't figure out at the moment. 🤷

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

'92-94 computer speakers would typically be of the "multimedia speaker" variety. Little speaker boxes that are magnetically shielded like yours but smaller. Labtec was popular. I don't think you actually want to use these sorts of speakers though.

You need some nice speakers with some low frequency capability to make that FM synthesis rattle your skull. 😀

Last edited by swaaye on 2023-06-13, 21:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi again! I think I've found them! 😁
SP-691W by 4Q Technologies

Or similar. They do at least look similar in shape.
The old ones I remember were a bit more heavy looking and less tall.

I've also found some more speakers that may fit..

Generic 90s era active boxes:

G691
AC-691IN
SP-691
691H
SP-691 W
DC-691

Similar looking:

SP-693
SP-695S

---

Dell 200DF

Soundkey MS-105

Aztech FX20

ACS41 (Gateway 2000)

ACS22 (ALTEC LANSING)

---

Creative Computer CS120 (unknown, but large/boxy)

---

Yamaha YST-M10

Labtec CS-550

Creative Labs CT-38

Anyway, this is just a quick list. Maybe it's useful to someone.

Best wishes, Jo22 😁

PS. Picture added.

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    Filename
    speakers.jpg
    File size
    79.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 7, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-06-13, 20:45:
Hi there! First off, you have a very nice setup here. It looks very authentic, I think. :cool: :thumbsup: […]
Show full quote

Hi there! First off, you have a very nice setup here. It looks very authentic, I think. :cool: :thumbsup:

The speakers.. Yes, I see what you mean. The current ones aren't bad by any means, though.

My father had owned PC speakers from the early 90s, ca. 1989 to 1993 time frame. I remember them.
It's just the brand/model that I can't figure out at the moment. :shrug:

Thanks!

Just snagged these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125964339123 Marked down to 30 with free shipping figured why not. They should sound just about the same as the ones I have now I think but the look fits much better with setup even though they're also late 90's. And I can move the ones I have now to the other computer. Will do until I eventually cave and get some Roland's one day lol

Reply 6 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We had Yamaha YST-M10 speakers and a YST-MSW10 subwoofer in the mid 90s. I still remember testing out the subwoofer with Doom 2, so we must have had it around 1994 or 1995.

Earlier than that, there were a lot of crappy battery powered speakers. I think we had a set of Labec's prior. Friend of mine had these large u-shaped speakers. A quick google search shows Reveal branded speakers, might have been them.

These days I prefer to use Harman Kardon 02320V multimedia speakers with older desktop systems (Tandy's, etc). They may not be 100% period correct, but they look the part, sound good and are relatively compact on the desk.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards