VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it possible to install both a SoundBlaster AWE64 (CT4380) and Adlib card (replica) into the same machine?

I'm hoping to use the Adlib for the authentic OPL2 music but also the SoundBlaster for sound effects, etc.

It looks like the AWE64 PnP settings do not allow changing the 388h adlib port but maybe I'm mistaken?

EDIT: I'm mostly concerned about DOS and not Windows if that matters.

Reply 1 of 10, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sofakng wrote on 2023-06-16, 01:48:

Is it possible to install both a SoundBlaster AWE64 (CT4380) and Adlib card (replica) into the same machine?

I'm hoping to use the Adlib for the authentic OPL2 music but also the SoundBlaster for sound effects, etc.

It looks like the AWE64 PnP settings do not allow changing the 388h adlib port but maybe I'm mistaken?

If the configuration utility (CTCU) allows you to choose a profile that doesn't have 388h, then use it. That profile should disable AWE64's FM and allow Adlib to take 388h.

I'm not sure, but it's possible that you may run into resource conflict warnings during initial configuration.

Reply 2 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sofakng wrote on 2023-06-16, 01:48:
Is it possible to install both a SoundBlaster AWE64 (CT4380) and Adlib card (replica) into the same machine? […]
Show full quote

EDIT: I'm mostly concerned about DOS and not Windows if that matters.

Yes, but you will get speed-sensitivity issues with the AdLib sound card (OPL2) if the computer is newer than a 486. Additionally, it is possible to change the AWE64's AdLib port on both DOS and Windows (I know this isn't your concern, but it is just in case).

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 10, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-06-16, 01:59:

Yes, but you will get speed-sensitivity issues with the AdLib sound card (OPL2) if the computer is newer than a 486.

Ugh... I'm planning to use it on my Pentium 200 MMX PC.

Can you explain the speed-sensitivity issues?

EDIT: Ugh ... I wish I researched this before building my Adlib replica card. I guess I should look into a YMF719 card to pair with the AWE64?

Reply 4 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sofakng wrote on 2023-06-16, 02:19:

Can you explain the speed-sensitivity issues?

EDIT: Ugh ... I wish I researched this before building my Adlib replica card. I guess I should look into a YMF719 card to pair with the AWE64?

The YM3812 chip is too slow and requires longer delays between register writes. This is usually done by reading the AdLib port a lot of times and the faster the CPU is, the delay becomes smaller which is not enough for the chip for another register write.

You should be looking for a sound card that has real OPL3, those requires smaller delays. The YMF-719 is one of them.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both are good choices overall. Between the two, I would pair it with a YMF-71x sound card though because some DOS games use the Sound Blaster I/O ports for the FM synth routines.

Reply 7 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sofakng wrote on 2023-06-16, 02:19:

[...]

The card's not the problem, it's the old games that are the problem. A YMF719 would have the exact same issues with those games on such a system.

You either need to slow the system down or simply build a slower one.

Reply 8 of 10, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try MIDIto to add delays to Adlib ports. In fact you can also remap the Adlib ports inside SB address space so you can use Adlib on those SB games that uses OPL from SB address space. And if you would have SB 1.0...2.0 instead of just Adlib, you could also emulate Game Blaster for those few games that normally do not work with SB and CMS chips.

But the Yamaha 71x is a better choice than Adlib here because OPL3 would make more sense on a machine like that and you can remap it to inside SB address space just like you can map OPL2.

Reply 9 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2023-06-16, 11:26:

The card's not the problem, it's the old games that are the problem. A YMF719 would have the exact same issues with those games on such a system.

You either need to slow the system down or simply build a slower one.

True, but try playing Wolfenstein 3-D with the AdLib card on such computer to see what I mean. That game normally doesn't require slowing down the computer for the FM synth.

Reply 10 of 10, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all of the information!

The MIDIto utility looks fantastic! I already have an Adlib (replica) card and an OPL3LPT (and OPL2LPT) so I'll fool around with them to see what I can get working but I'll also look for a cheap YMF71x card.

(@aitotat, somebody commented about MIDIto r12 possibly having a channel swap issue?)