VOGONS

First post, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heyho!

I got an ESS ES1868F Soundcard and I am actually quite happy with the Sound quality itself. However the ISA noise can be quite annoying. I wanted to create this thread to share some experience and maybe you got some other suggestions on what to try.

I also tested a PCI card instead and ofc that one doesnt have any noise. In my case I had at SB Live at hand. However the Music was in DOS games was absolutely terrible. Maybe you have a good suggestion for a PCI Card which I could use having a better music quality (my intention was to just swap via boot menu, and plug in the speakers to the card to be used).
Just for completelness I also tried a different board, but it's the same.

Here are the things I found with my ISA Card:

It seems like a significant amount of Noise comes from the CD Drive. If its spinning you can hear a clear Bup-Bup-Bup-Bup in the background. My guess is that its the power going to the CD drive which causes some fluctuations. The cable is not running next to the soundcard btw. My guess: If you got an Additional Power connector for the soundcard you could eliminate this. I didnt have one at hand and unfortunately its also not really practical to have two PSUs. Maybe you have some other idea? Maybe a "buffer" of some sort which could be attached the the CD Molex connector (if it actually is the power and not the IDE connection)

I also noticed that on high CPU Speed the noise is significantly worse than with low speed. This became quite apparent when I started up Jagged Alliance. While I am in the menu, there is no noise. But once I am on the map and scroll over a map with lots of bushes, the background noise gets intense. In difference to the CD Drive noise which is Bup-Bup-Bup its more like a weeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaap as long as you are scrolling over the forest. Almost like a coil whine, just a bow lower frequent. It seems to be a combination of graphics and CPU usage. Reducing the CPU from 500Mhz to 167 Mhz gets rid of the majority of that.

Lastly I removed some noise via external processing. Obviously that can only be used if you use the sound as LineIn on another machine which can process that.
I found a program called Pedalboard 2. https://www.niallmoody.com/work/pedalboard2/
Its a very cool program, but it can't do magic. You can set up noise reduction and equalizers to the pipeline. And works perfect for removing the standard white noise. But the noise like described above from CPU or Drive can only be removed with costs in other sound quality. For example if I filter out the Bup-Bup-Bup of the drive, then I also kill some of the drums in the music.

So what are you experiences, got any additional tips?

Reply 1 of 23, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've one of those that I haven't used too much. It was initially jumpered for headphones (which made it noisy), but I changed the jumpers to disable the onboard amplifier. You've likely already done that, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 23, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a common issue with sound cards, especially older ISA sound cards. They pick up excess voltage that makes its way into the audio signal and then outputs as unwanted noise.

One possible solution is to try different slots to see if specific slots have reduced noise. It likely won't eliminate the issue entirely, but can potentially help mitigate it.

The permanent solution is to use a different card with less or ideally no noise. I tend to favor cards like the Adlib, Thunder Board (for Adlib only), GUS Extreme, AWE 64, and Roland cards (LAPC-I, SCC-1, MPU-401AT), as they tend to be noise free in my experience.

There are also modern ISA cards like the Orpheus, Blaster Board, etc., that are also designed with quality components and tend to have clean output as well.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 23, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-06-16, 14:53:

I've one of those that I haven't used too much. It was initially jumpered for headphones (which made it noisy), but I changed the jumpers to disable the onboard amplifier. You've likely already done that, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks. I actually did not.

I just tried that, I am not even sure what setting is what. But when I changed it, it was first like a big storm, which then faded down. After that the noise was gone if nothing was played. But any Music sounded like garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ0vbcaxsMo
Excuse the pic quality. For 720x400 I didnt set up any scaling.

Shponglefan wrote on 2023-06-16, 15:37:
This is a common issue with sound cards, especially older ISA sound cards. They pick up excess voltage that makes its way into […]
Show full quote

This is a common issue with sound cards, especially older ISA sound cards. They pick up excess voltage that makes its way into the audio signal and then outputs as unwanted noise.

One possible solution is to try different slots to see if specific slots have reduced noise. It likely won't eliminate the issue entirely, but can potentially help mitigate it.

The permanent solution is to use a different card with less or ideally no noise. I tend to favor cards like the Adlib, Thunder Board (for Adlib only), GUS Extreme, AWE 64, and Roland cards (LAPC-I, SCC-1, MPU-401AT), as they tend to be noise free in my experience.

There are also modern ISA cards like the Orpheus, Blaster Board, etc., that are also designed with quality components and tend to have clean output as well.

I am actually looking for something...normal or barebones. I neither need something like a roland or added sounds and whatnot. I just want to get the sound as I had it back in the 90s with my "normal" soundblaster, and the ESS actually comes very close. Is there any you could point me to? Just "plain" SB without any bells and whistels (and therefore hopefully inexpensive).

That said, to me its kinda weird, that there is nobody attempting to "fix" the excess voltage part. Should be possible by just having a modified ISA Riser Card, right? I mean...if anyone bothered to create something like that.

Reply 4 of 23, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I've found turning off the CD and PC speaker audio in the mixer settings helps tremendously.

Also jumpering it for line out rather than internal amp.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 23, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One big problem is that there is very little "power supply rejection ratio" on the parts of these old cards, any noise or other deviations in the voltage rails will end up in one way or other in the final output. Since the power supply itself cannot take reference at place where power is consumed, it cannot counter them in any real effect and there will always be modulation of the rails by instantaneous current needs of all the remaining components in the computer. Competent sound card has a high PSRR power regulator to create local rails out the dirty ones from ISA slot.

Another major problem is the ground currents of various other components polluting the local reference, this can be combatted by moving the sound card to the furthest away slot from power supply, this has the added benefit that card is next to bottom of the case and gets some electrostatic shielding from it which helps a little to reduce various problems. Sound card itself cannot do much about this problem, if it is in an unfortunate location in the system it will suffer.

Ground loops within the machine itself are one more problem, such as from CD-ROM to the sound card. Better sound cards use a differential input for the CD and this eliminates the problem but none of the low end and cheap things do that. PC speaker input is another source of discomfort but I have not seen any card out there trying to do anything with it. There is a thread here to do it well enough somewhere though.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 23, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-06-16, 18:06:

Another major problem is the ground currents of various other components polluting the local reference, this can be combatted by moving the sound card to the furthest away slot from power supply, this has the added benefit that card is next to bottom of the case and gets some electrostatic shielding from it which helps a little to reduce various problems. Sound card itself cannot do much about this problem, if it is in an unfortunate location in the system it will suffer.

The biggest problem with sound cards is the very poor PCB routing.
Especially the old ones, which are still two-layered.
For example, the Diamond Monster MX300, based on the Aureal Vortex chipset, is a complete horror from a modern point of view. Trying to create gaps in an ground plane is just a tutorial on what not to do.
Alas, old sound cards are not about sound sensations, they are about nostalgia for the old days. 🙁

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 7 of 23, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another thing that helps quite a lot is using a modern power supply that has magnitudes better voltage regulation and outputs way cleaner power than the horrid things of yesteryear.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 23, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kordanor wrote on 2023-06-16, 15:49:

I am actually looking for something...normal or barebones. I neither need something like a roland or added sounds and whatnot. I just want to get the sound as I had it back in the 90s with my "normal" soundblaster, and the ESS actually comes very close. Is there any you could point me to? Just "plain" SB without any bells and whistels (and therefore hopefully inexpensive).

Strictly speaking, if you're looking to recreate the sound you grew up with, the best option is usually the same sound card you had back in the day. But this also means accepting any quirks of those cards including noise.

If you're looking for clean audio output, I'd look to modern Sound Blaster compatible cards like the Orpheus, Blasterboard, etc.

That said, to me its kinda weird, that there is nobody attempting to "fix" the excess voltage part. Should be possible by just having a modified ISA Riser Card, right? I mean...if anyone bothered to create something like that.

In most cases the problem is going to be the design of the card itself. A lot of cards were designed to be cheap consumer devices, not produce super clean output. Especially since just having a sound card was a big novelty at the time.

This is an issue that even persists in hardware today. I have similar noise interference with modern motherboard built-in audio and with external sound interfaces on my studio PC. The latter of which required a somewhat expensive USB isolator to resolve.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 10 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For my radio hobby, I often do use AF transformers. They provide galvanic insulation between my PC's soundcard (or TNC) and the shortwave radio / FM scanner.
Most amateurs these days would rather use opto-couplers, though.

Anyway, the problem of digital electronics is a very analogue one.
Like switching power supplies, digital electronics work by rapidly switching on-off.
This causes fluctuations, spikes in voltage.
What's even worse, these noise signals are square-wave (or sawtooth type, less bad), which cause harmonics.
At some point, they will cause malfunctions in nearby ICs. That's about when we talk about RFI, Radio Frequency Interference.

A counter measure would be to use separate, grounded chambers for each digital components (expansion cards).
This used to be common radio transceivers or in professional equipment like from R+S.

Next best thing would be to use blocking caps/low-pass filtering caps for the power source of each IC.

I was thinking out loud about this a while ago in this thread.
Some of the capacitor values are being discussed.
De-noising and capacitors

Doing so would prevent both from ripple, as well as compensate for voltage peaks.
The ICs then can switch on/off as much as they please without causing fluctuations on the power rail.

Um, but at some point it's perhaps better to build a metal enclosure for the soundcard.
A modern PC (past 486) really is a jammer.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 23, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it sounds worse/noisier with the onboard amplifier disabled I have to wonder if there is something wrong with the card?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 12 of 23, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did check 2 other things now:
1. I did connect a different power supply from an active, running PC to the CD Drive. And Voila...the BopBopBopBop on the left side was gone.
2. I also tried a different drive...problem gone as well.

The very silent white noise obviously is still there, but that was never the issue and is easily filtered out. I didnt test the CPU "howl" but this is likely not going to change.
Anyways...looks like I am going to hunt for yet another drive.

Reply 13 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kordanor wrote on 2023-06-17, 23:53:

1. I did connect a different power supply from an active, running PC to the CD Drive. And Voila...the BopBopBopBop on the left side was gone.

Wooow. Becareful with that. Mixing two power supplies isn't trivial.
There might be differences in ground etc, especially if the power plugs (and phases, thus) are reversed on each PSU/PC chassis.
Anyway, it gratefully was just a parallel connection and didn't cause harm. Never try to link PSUs in series.. 😵

Edit: If you had access to a scope, you could theoretically check the different power rails for noise.
Maybe it's merely one of the voltages that's very noisy. That would making de-noising a bit easier.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 23, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-06-18, 00:12:
Wooow. Becareful with that. Mixing two power supplies isn't trivial. There might be differences in ground etc, especially if the […]
Show full quote
Kordanor wrote on 2023-06-17, 23:53:

Wooow. Becareful with that. Mixing two power supplies isn't trivial.
There might be differences in ground etc, especially if the power plugs (and phases, thus) are reversed on each PSU/PC chassis.
Anyway, it gratefully was just a parallel connection and didn't cause harm. Never try to link PSUs in series.. 😵

Why would they be linked in series? You mean there is some voltage going over the IDE connection back and might not "mix well"? I only used 1 molex connection from that other power supply putting that directly into the CD drive. The idea being to "absorb" these irregularities in that other circuit.

Btw: One thing I didnt mention before: The CD audio plug had never been connected, not with the old drive, not with the new one. So that one had been irrelevant.

Reply 15 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kordanor wrote on 2023-06-18, 00:16:

Why would they be linked in series?

Just saying. Never mind. There are indeed some people out there who wire PSUs in series, as if they were batteries.
If they do need 18v, they'd use two 9v power bricks and wire them in series (minus, plus + minus, plus)..
That even works, but is very unsafe, as it will cause damage on the PSUs on the long run (if not instantly).

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 23, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the tediousness, but Bob Pease did not design sound cards.
Maybe this card is noisy for everyone?

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 17 of 23, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Much of this has been mentioned before, but here are some general tips for cleaner output:

• Use a modern, high quality ATX PSU, if the motherboard supports it. If you need -5V, there are modern adapters for that
  • Turn off the amplifier on the sound card if possible (usually there's a jumper setting for this)
  • Mute any unused inputs in the sound card mixer, especially pc speaker, microphone and line in
  • If there's a separate volume setting for the wavetable header in the mixer, mute that as well, unless you're using it
  • Don't connect PC Speaker and CD-ROM audio cables to your sound card. Use the front 3.5 mm jack for CD audio instead, or a SPDIF cable if supported (e.g. on CMI8330 cards)
  • Don't buy sound cards with FM radio or a modem on-board. Those tend to be noisier

That said, some sound cards are cheaply built, and no matter what you do, you won't be able to get a completely noise-free experience.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 18 of 23, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps a photo of the soundcard can be used to identify possible capacitors that can then be verified and if need be, replaced.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 19 of 23, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I mentioned in my other post, I replaced my CPU, which was a AMD K6 II 500Mhz 2.2V with a AMD K6 II+570Mhz running on 600Mhz at 2.0V.
I already realized before that the CPU noise transmitted over the ISA Card significantly decreases if you downclock the K6 II to just 166Mhz.
Now after the exchange, I would say that the CPU based noise on the ISA card is still there, but substantially less, if you compare 600Mhz (new) to 500Mhz (old). So my guess is that the Voltage of the CPU also does make a difference.