VOGONS

First post, by RuiReisPT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE

I contacted the seller and could confirm that this is a completely original unit and it hasn't been serviced at any point. The seller is the original owner of the unit and bought it in 1988 and it was used only for a small period to compose a few samples. I imagine so because this unit it's immaculate.

ORIGINAL POST

Hi guys, do you know where I can find some specific info about this ROM version?
I'm curious to see what changes were made. Also curious to learn if this is considered an Old or a New version. Supposedly the second version features the headphone output in the back and demonstration songs. This one doesn't have the headphone connection but has 5 demonstration songs...
The solder in the what would be the headphone jack seems to be untouched 🤔
But, there's a blue socket for an IC, so I take it that it has been replaced?

I'm kind of confused here...

Any help would be much appreciated 👍🏻

Attachments

• IMG_20230620_002322.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230620_002322.jpg
    File size
    969.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG20230620000207.jpg
    Filename
    IMG20230620000207.jpg
    File size
    900.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG20230619224643.jpg
    Filename
    IMG20230619224643.jpg
    File size
    765.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by RuiReisPT on 2023-06-20, 17:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any MT-32 with a 2.xx ROM is of the "New" type; yours just happens to lack a headphone jack. Generally speaking, an MT-32 lacking a headphone jack will be of the 1.xx variety, and one bearing a headphone jack will be of the 2.xx variety, but exceptions exist in both cases. Given that yours is an early 2.xx unit, Roland may have simply omitted the headphone jack due to needing to exhaust a remaining supply of 1.xx chassis components. Another scenario in which the headphone jack on a 2.xx mainboard would get removed is when Roland would upgrade 1.xx units (by swapping-out the entire mainboard).

ROM version 2.00 has a number of (undesirable) behavioral changes that were reversed in version 2.04. You'll want to review the information that NewRisingSun provided here, specifically as relates to the part priority and default assign mode:

Re: Roland MT-32 firmware 1.07 upgrade files & instructions?

Upgrading to ROM version 2.07 is recommended if you have access to a programmer. If not, I'd be happy to burn and send you a 2.07 EPROM.

Reply 3 of 5, by RuiReisPT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote on 2023-06-20, 03:24:

Given that yours is an early 2.xx unit, Roland may have simply omitted the headphone jack due to needing to exhaust a remaining supply of 1.xx chassis components.

That's my initial thought and it makes sense, yes.

That post link has some valuable info right there. It's really hard to find that kind of info just by googling, or maybe I'm not searching it correctly.

That's very kind of you offering to send me a burned ROM but I have a programmer I could use. What kind of eeprom should I use in this case?

Thanks for the reply 👍🏻

Reply 4 of 5, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Presumably, any 1Mbit (128K x 8), 200ns or better, "non-JEDEC" EPROM (or comparable EEPROM) will work. Roland frequently used the Fujitsu MBM27C1000-20Z. You may already be aware of this, but if you're using a TL866-based programmer, you'll need to fashion or purchase an adapter to properly read/write such chips.

Also, I've sent you a PM regarding the 2.00 ROM.

Reply 5 of 5, by RuiReisPT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote on 2023-06-20, 15:22:

Presumably, any 1Mbit (128K x 😎, 200ns or better, "non-JEDEC" EPROM (or comparable EEPROM) will work. Roland frequently used the Fujitsu MBM27C1000-20Z. You may already be aware of this, but if you're using a TL866-based programmer, you'll need to fashion or purchase an adapter to properly read/write such chips.

Also, I've sent you a PM regarding the 2.00 ROM.

I have some news about this unit so the original post got an update.

I'll get a couple of those eeproms then. I'm using the Xgecu T48 programmer so I'm sorted 👍

Thank you very much for the help!

P.S. i've seen your PM but can't reply (because I'm a new user?). Anyway, as soon as I get those eeproms I'll try to do what you asked for 👌