VOGONS

First post, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've started using the digital output of my Sound Blaster CT4760 to capture my game audio, including digital CD audio through the card's digital CD-IN pins. It works really well and sounds very clean but sometimes when I insert a new disc I will get tons of gurgling noise from the digital CD-IN (see below youtube video for an example). Even if I eject the CD in the drive the sound remains and the computer needs to be rebooted to get it to stop. I am using the audigy_2_zs_drivers_for_sound_blaster_live_2.1.zip driver pack. I had a chance to try another optical drive but the issue still manifested itself, albeit not from inserting a new disc but in a different way.

I haven't used digital outputs very much before so I'm not sure if this is a coaxial cable issue, optical drive issue, a driver issue, or maybe something else. Does anyone have any ideas?

Video of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDkcyWom_ZI

Reply 1 of 4, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The product manual shows a Digital Output Module connected to the rear digital mini-jack. I'm currently using an RCA to 3.5mm mono jack cable and this seems to tap the correct digital output signal. If I was using a stereo jack RCA cable I assume the card would expect digital input on the second/right speaker line.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 4, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried three optical drives and each one exhibited this issue in a different way, sometimes in-between cd tracks, sometimes after loading a disc, etc. I started trying different driver versions at this point and found ones that appear to have resolved the issue. They can be found here on vogonsdrivers.

Reply 3 of 4, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiibur wrote on 2023-06-21, 00:23:

If I was using a stereo jack RCA cable I assume the card would expect digital input on the second/right speaker line.

The CT4760's Digital Out mini-jack is strictly output only, and carries both the front and rear stereo channels at TTL voltage levels. The mentioned Digital Output Module (CT4801) provides an ideal, transformer-isolated pairing, but it's also an exceptionally uncommon part.

Straight-through, 3.5mm stereo-to-RCA cable connections were commonly recommended instead though, just with the aforementioned TTL caveat. The Sound Blaster Live! Book even provides the following illustration:

CT4760_DO.png