VOGONS

First post, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,
I'm a happy owner of a STB Ultrasound 32 Pro (Compaq Interwave sound card) and thanks to the work of our friend cyclone3d I have it working perfectly as a GUS PNP clone.
I have it installed on a Slot 1 440BX platform with a Pentium II 450Mhz, 128MB of RAM, Windows 98 and I manage to make it run side by side with a SB16 CT2772 with no conflicts.

I ran the original GUS PNP CD install to have the 1MB and 4MB patches and I also installed Pro patches lite 1.61

I love the way the MIDI sounds with PPL 1.61 on DOS games that natively supports Ultrasound, it really is a game changer compared to the default 1MB sound bank.

What I want now is to use it on games that doesn't natively support Ultrasound but supports General MIDI and MT32, I was able to make it work using MegaEM 3.11, but megaEM only supports the onboard 1MB ROM bank.

I have been researching all over Vogons and the internet about Ultramid, since allegedly it can also provide GM to the GUS PNP but using patches instead of the onboard ROM, but I can't make it work and there is no user guide anywhere.

When I ran Ultramid it doesn't give me any error, but also doesn't work.

Can someone please give me step by step instructions on to make it work? How do I assign a GM port (300,330, etc) with Ultramid?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 3, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UltraMID is not a GM emulator that captures port 330h, but it is a driver that provides an application interface (API) to games that use the audio interface library (AIL). Thus, after loading UltraMID the new API is present.

The basic idea of UltraMID is to split the GUS hardware resources for Music and Sound Effects.

Some Games audio drives support UltraMID out of the box (e.g. Tyrian). For other games the way is to replace audio drives of a sound card you don't own, lets say Pro Audio Spectrum with the GUS drivers. The replacement is done by replacing the files for the PAS with the files for the GUS and selecting PAS in the games audio setup. This will actually use the GUS drivers then.
There are replacement drivers for standard audio driver libraries as well as for a lot of games available.

Loading MegaEM also provides the UltraMID API. So if you have QEMM386/EMM386 loaded, you can use MegaEM to get UltraMID functionality. If you have just HIMEM.SYS load UltraMID.exe.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 3, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elianda wrote on 2023-06-22, 15:21:
UltraMID is not a GM emulator that captures port 330h, but it is a driver that provides an application interface (API) to games […]
Show full quote

UltraMID is not a GM emulator that captures port 330h, but it is a driver that provides an application interface (API) to games that use the audio interface library (AIL). Thus, after loading UltraMID the new API is present.

The basic idea of UltraMID is to split the GUS hardware resources for Music and Sound Effects.

Some Games audio drives support UltraMID out of the box (e.g. Tyrian). For other games the way is to replace audio drives of a sound card you don't own, lets say Pro Audio Spectrum with the GUS drivers. The replacement is done by replacing the files for the PAS with the files for the GUS and selecting PAS in the games audio setup. This will actually use the GUS drivers then.
There are replacement drivers for standard audio driver libraries as well as for a lot of games available.

Loading MegaEM also provides the UltraMID API. So if you have QEMM386/EMM386 loaded, you can use MegaEM to get UltraMID functionality. If you have just HIMEM.SYS load UltraMID.exe.

Ah, great explanation Elianda, I really appreciate!! I got confused by the information that MegaEM and Ultramid had the "same" functionality, the GUS world is fascinating but at the same time way different than any other sound cards from the old times.

Any way to use MegaEM GM mode with a different bank other than the 1MB onboard ROM ? On one of your YT videos you mentioned using a MegaEM with a 4MB bank.

Thanks again

Reply 3 of 3, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That was probably wrong. I think MegaEM always defaults to the 1 MB bank. However, if you want to have a RAM loaded sound bank as GM device you can run the DOS game from within a Win9x DOS box.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool