VOGONS

First post, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I bought through a local internet adverts site a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS. It was listed literally for no money - only about 2.50 euro due to its apparently terrible condition after (I suppose) some stay in muddy water. I figured out that going with that ridiculous low price maybe worth buying and trying to revive it. After all it's not a bad card for old systems and the last one that unofficially also works fine in a clear DOS environment.

Here are the pictures from the seller's advert. I got the card in this pathetic condition:
8x5IvTc.jpeg
fd6Spj5.jpeg
BsvnTyb.jpeg

The mounting metal plate and goldplated jacks was partly covered in rust, which is not seen on these pictures.

After one afternoon of hardwork finally I managed to bring the card in a good looking shape:
iHuCGRl.jpeg
(white markings on the chip somehow faded after cleaning, but it snot a big deal, they're still readable in normal light conditions)

bl26tew.jpeg
(I have to reglue the sticker in its original place)

IzHKevl.jpeg
(the plate was partly eaten by rust around digital output jack - this is beyond repair, but not a problem for me)

ZPMX4N3.jpeg
(broken plastic of the IEEE 1394 connector - I have no plans to change it, just to remind me for the "original state" in which I've gt the card 😀 )

And the main question is: Does it work after the repair? Let's see some proofs...
02A5CtY.jpeg
(initialization in pure DOS on PII/Celeron mobo)

odOVyHm.jpeg
(initializiation confirmed with SBEGO.EXE)

sOKKTv4.jpeg
(finally after "eight/sixteen bit testing" playing some MIDI test tune 😀)

Yes, it works! I have to change 4 electrolytic caps near the VRMs due to well known click-issue with this model, but that's for another day.

If someone's interested, I can share what "tools of the trade" I used in the process of restoration/repair. Also I'd be glad if other users would share here photos and materials from similar restorations of dead sound cards.

Edit: Driver pack with one floppy disk size for initializing, setting and testing the card in pure DOS can be downloaded from HERE

Last edited by analog_programmer on 2023-08-13, 05:41. Edited 3 times in total.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 1 of 24, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very good work. I would like to know the tools of the trade you used as I have a couple of old cards like this, not sure about immersing in water to clean these parts as shown in youtube videos etc.
Also what is the Audigy 2 ZS click-issue you mentioned. I searched Vogons and can't find any reference to it.

Reply 3 of 24, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Riikcakirds wrote on 2023-06-26, 21:54:

Very good work. I would like to know the tools of the trade you used as I have a couple of old cards like this, not sure about immersing in water to clean these parts as shown in youtube videos etc.
Also what is the Audigy 2 ZS click-issue you mentioned. I searched Vogons and can't find any reference to it.

Thanks for your comment and the interest in restoration process, Riikcakirds.

The main "tool" was ultrasonic cleaner (for home use - mine is small so I treated the card - first one half, then another, then turn around and again one half...) loaded with deionized (purified) water (not distilled water!). Deionized water is completely electrically unconductive and chemically neutral. Summary after an hour of treatment in ultrasonic cleaner with only clean deionized water the rusty solder joints were looking not so good. So I added a very small quantity of liquid degreaser ("Meglio") into the deionized water and then again around half an hour of treatment with ultrasonic cleaner - after that solder rust was completely gone. Then I rinsed the card with deionized water. And finally rinsed it with 97% pure (medical) alcohol. Set the card to dry - already it was like new 😀 The only side effect of treatment in ultrasonic cleaner was slightly faded white markings on the EMU10K2 chip.

Important: I've sealed the coils of two chokes (inductors L4 and L11) on the PCB with some liquid glue ("Pattex repair glue liquid" - stays "gummy" when cured) just to be sure that the insulating varnish on the coils will not fall off when processed in the ultrasonic bath.

I used hot air gun to unglue the sticker on the back of the card, but sadly I've slightly overheated one edge of the sticker. An ordinary electrician's pliers and some IDE/ATA female connector for straightening the bent pins of card's male connectors. And for the metal rust on the mounting plate I used some metal polish paste ("Autosol" - contains some acid, but it does not burns bare skin nor cloth). I've replaced old rusty screws for the bracket with some spares.

That's all. Nothing special, but takes its time.

About the "click problem": I found info on another forum, which is related with quality of electrolythic capacitors and also in another "hi-fi maniac's" forum (there was a thread about some Audigy 2 ZS card modding). I do not know if it is proper to name these forums here. In short: The four capacitors (22 uF, 16 V) around VRMs have to be replaced with ones of larger capacitance (47 to 100 uF) and for higher voltage (35 to 50 V).

danieljm wrote on 2023-06-26, 22:42:

Yeah, I'd be interested to know specifically how you dealt with the rust on the solder points.

danieljm, in short: Treatment in ultrasonic cleaner loaded with deionized water (not distilled water!) plus very small quantity of liquid degreaser ("Meglio"). No need of expensive special PCB-cleaning liquids.

I hope you'll will find this information useful. If necessary, I will attach pictures of the supplies I used.

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 5 of 24, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-06-27, 14:57:

Do you intend to release your DOS-only driver pack?

Yes, if it will be of use to anyone. But there's a problem. Attachments with proprietary software is forbidden in this forum even if it's abandonware. I have to figure out where to upload it. You may suggest some web platform. I use gitlab for my programming projects, but I think there are restrictions too.

Reply 7 of 24, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2023-06-27, 17:31:

Posting drivers here is not aginst the rules so long as the drivers or software was freely distributable. Creative drivers are proprietary but are also freely distributable.

Thanks for the clarification, Warlord! I was left with a completely different understanding of the driver's "abandonware" rules here. I may have to open a new thread for the Audigy 2 ZS's driver package for a pure DOS environment, that fits on one 1.44MB floppy disk.

P.S. Ooops... I've included DOSTEST.ECW wavetable file in my DOS driver pack. It's not part of Creative's drivers nor comes with freeware patch. Still I'm not sure if it will be proper to attach such a driver pack here because of this.

Reply 8 of 24, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-06-27, 16:45:

Yes, if it will be of use to anyone. But there's a problem. Attachments with proprietary software is forbidden in this forum even if it's abandonware. I have to figure out where to upload it. You may suggest some web platform. I use gitlab for my programming projects, but I think there are restrictions too.

Put it on internet archive!

Reply 9 of 24, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matti157 wrote on 2023-06-27, 19:24:

Put it on internet archive!

So the internet archive's site allows unofficial software packages. I didn't know that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Which section of the forum would it be most appropriate to share the link with DOS-only driver package when I upload it?

Reply 10 of 24, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here it is the very same "wreck" soundcard after modding for "click-problem" and with changed broken plastic on IEEE 1394 connector. I've replaced four of the original electrolytic capacitors Jamicon (22 uF / 16 V / 85 deg C) around the VRMs with better Samxon KM (47 uF / 63 V / 105 deg C). Actually, here it is the topic about this problem.

The new capacitors near the VRMs (tight fit).
SwQnOgn.jpeg

The new plastic for broken connector and the capacitors (in the far edge of the card):
hjjtBci.jpg

And last, but not least, I wrote some simple bat-file script installer for already mentioned "pure DOS one floppy driver pack". I'm open for comments and proposals for this script, so when this script is acceptable, I'll publish link with whole driver pack on 1.44 floppy image file for free download.

INSTALL.BAT
@ECHO OFF
ECHO This is a .bat-file installer for SB Audigy 2 ZS pure DOS driver floppy version
ECHO provided by Joseph_Joestar, moog and analog_programmer from www.vogons.org forum
ECHO "AUDIGY12.EXE" patch by Attila Padar - PDSoft at mpxplay.sourceforge.net
ECHO ********************************************************************************
ECHO DOS driver will be installed by default in "C:\SBA2ZS" local path directory and
ECHO "AUTOEXEC.BAT" file will be created/modified with all the lines needed in "C:\".
ECHO In order to work properly the driver needs EMM386 or other DOS memory manager!
ECHO.
ECHO ATTENTION!!! If you want to change default installation drive/path "C:\SBA2ZS",
ECHO press [N] now and go to www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=71449
ECHO for more info on how to copy and edit manually all the needed driver files
ECHO and settings where you need them.
ECHO.
ECHO If you accept to install DOS driver in "C:\SBA2ZS" local path, then press [Y].
ECHO.
ECHO Proceed with install - [Y]es/[N]o?
CHOICE /C:yn /N
ECHO.
IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO terminate
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO proceed

:proceed
IF NOT EXIST C:\NUL GOTO invalidpath
ECHO.
ECHO Please wait, installing...
IF EXIST C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT GOTO oldauto
IF NOT EXIST C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT ECHO. > C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
ECHO @ECHO OFF >> C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

:oldauto
COPY C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT+.\SBA2ZSIN.SET C:\AUTOEXEC.NEW /Y > NUL
REN C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT C:\AUTOEXEC.ZS2 > NUL
REN C:\AUTOEXEC.NEW C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT > NUL
DEL C:\AUTOEXEC.ZS2 > NUL

IF NOT EXIST C:\SBA2ZS\NUL MD C:\SBA2ZS
COPY .\SBA2ZS\*.* C:\SBA2ZS\*.* /Y > NUL
ECHO Installation completed.
ECHO.
ECHO In order to work properly the driver needs EMM386 or other DOS memory manager!
ECHO.
ECHO The default ECW wavetable file "DEFAULT.ECW" is a copy of "DOSTEST.ECW".
ECHO If you want to use another ECW wavetable file, find one and replace the default
ECHO wavetable file "C:\SBA2ZS\DEFAULT.ECW" keeping the name "DEFAULT.ECW".
ECHO.
ECHO REBOOT THE SYSTEM NOW TO LOAD THE DRIVER!!!
ECHO.
ECHO You can then check the audio with "C:\SBA2ZS\SBEGO.EXE".
GOTO end

:invalidpath
ECHO.
ECHO ERROR!!! No local drive "C:" found on this system!
ECHO For more info on how to copy and edit manually
ECHO all the needed driver files and settings where you need them go to
ECHO www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=71449

:terminate
ECHO.
Show last 5 lines
ECHO Installation terminated!

:end
ECHO.
SBA2ZSIN.SET

ECHO Initializing SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS under DOS...
SET CTSYN=C:\SBA2ZS
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
C:\SBA2ZS\SBEINIT.COM
C:\SBA2ZS\AUDIGY12.EXE

Reply 12 of 24, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2023-08-01, 01:48:

That's some very impressive work that card looks like brand new. Seriously great job

Thank you for your evaluation of my work!

Unfortunately I don't have a suitable replacement metal plate to replace the original one slightly damaged from corrosion around the "digital out" jack. But now, after the modification with the replacement of the capacitors in the power supply part, this soundcard works better than original. I didn't expect that I wouldn't have to use a soldering iron at all to get it working initially. I also recently "resurrected" a dead video card given to me in unknown state (had symptoms of a faulty BIOS - black screen, no POST error codes) only after cleaning with an ultrasonic bath (cleaning by hand with 97% alcohol didn't help at all).

If there are no bug-fix comments for the script from the installer bat-file for the DOS driver, that fits on single diskette, I will post link for package download tomorrow.

Reply 13 of 24, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since you are one of the two fellow members of this forum, who asked for the DOS driver floppy pack (I do not remember the other one), here it is:

https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/c%2BVCHOC … C7Zec%2BTUf99lU

"DOSFD144.IMA" - 1.44MB flopyy image
"DOSFD12.IMA" - 1.2MB floppy image
"SBA2ZS_PURE_DOS_DRIVER_ONE_FLOPPY_DISK.zip" - archive

If there are some problem with the installer bat-script or other problems, please give me feedback.

P.S. After all, I've decided to not use file sharing platforms which demands registration or personal e-mails.

From Sendspace's FAQ:

"We do not delete active files. We will host the file for an unlimited time, until it becomes inactive, in the case of sendspace Lite™ uploaders, unless they have purchased file bandwidth for that file. A file becomes inactive if it has not been downloaded at least once during a 30 day period."

If this driver pack is OK, feel free to copy/upload it wherever you want.

EDIT: new link for updated files

Last edited by analog_programmer on 2023-08-03, 06:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 24, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-08-02, 06:24:
Since you are one of the two fellow members of this forum, who asked for the DOS driver floppy pack (I do not remember the other […]
Show full quote

Since you are one of the two fellow members of this forum, who asked for the DOS driver floppy pack (I do not remember the other one), here it is:

https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/39FXXTheH … zO7BkocT85CdvbS

"DOSFD144.IMA" - 1.44MB flopyy image
"DOSFD12.IMA" - 1.2MB floppy image
"SBA2ZS_PURE_DOS_DRIVER_ONE_FLOPPY_DISK.zip" - archive

If there are some problem with the installer bat-script or other problems, please give me feedback.

P.S. After all, I've decided to not use file sharing platforms which demands registration or personal e-mails.

From Sendspace's FAQ:

"We do not delete active files. We will host the file for an unlimited time, until it becomes inactive, in the case of sendspace Lite™ uploaders, unless they have purchased file bandwidth for that file. A file becomes inactive if it has not been downloaded at least once during a 30 day period."

If this driver pack is OK, feel free to copy/upload it wherever you want.

Hi,
I understand that you had to reduce the package size because of floppy restrictions but it's worth mentioning that the included DEFAULT.ECW Ensoniq soundfont is not a full one. It contains only piano as melodic instrument and no drum kits at all. For Midi playback it's basically useless.
(If you take a look into the file you should notice this info: "DOS Test FIle - Piano Only - No Programs - No Drumkits.)
So if someone wants to use General Midi in DOS games she/he will be disappointed. So I suggest that you should include at least the smallest full 2MB ecw file in the SBA2ZS_PURE_DOS_DRIVER_ONE_FLOPPY_DISK.zip package.
Or at least place a warning that replacing the included DEFAULT.ECW with a full one is actually mandatory.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 15 of 24, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, Falcosoft, and thanks for your note!

Yes, it is impossible to be included another version of .ECW wavetable (in this case "DEFAULT.ECW" is "DOSTEST.ECW") in limited space of floppy disk media. So I mentioned this problem and its possible solution in "INSTALL.BAT" script:

ECHO If you want to use another ECW wavetable file, find one and replace the default

You can always find another .ECW file and replace "DEFAULT.ECW", don't you? I don't think that this is a big problem and the main purpose of this pack was to make life of ordinary DOS gamer/user easier with initial setup and test of Audigy 2 ZS in DOS with one diskette.

P.S. Actually I have a "full pack" version with all the .ECW files, that I managed to find as free downloads from different internet sources. If someone needs it, I can upload it in another archive or I can upload an archive including only .ECW wavetable files.

Last edited by analog_programmer on 2023-08-02, 10:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 24, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-08-02, 09:36:
Hi, Falcosoft, and thanks for your note! […]
Show full quote

Hi, Falcosoft, and thanks for your note!

Yes, it is impossible to be included another version of .ECW wavetable (in this case "DEFAULT.ECW" is "DOSTEST.ECW") in limited space of floppy disk media. So I mentioned this problem and its possible solution in "INSTALL.BAT" script:

You can always find another .ECW file, and replace "DEFAULT.ECW", don't you? I don't think that this is a big problem and the main purpose of this pack was to make life of ordinary DOS gamer/user easier with initial setup of Audigy 2 ZS in DOS with one diskette.

P.S. Actually I have a "full pack" version with all the .ECW files, that I managed to find as free downloads from different internet sources. If someone needs it, I can upload it in another archive or I can upload an archive including only .ECW wavetable files.

Yes, but the echoed messages sound like simple information, not like a warning ( I mean there is no emphasis on that you actually have to use another ecw file for normal Midi operation).
The messages do not tell you that if you experience Midi playback problems it's because of the included DEFAULT.ECW.
As a compromise 😀 :
ECHO This means it contains only piano and no drum kits at all.
ECHO If you want to use Midi you should use another ECW wavetable file.
ECHO Find one and replace the default wavetable file "C:\SBA2ZS\DEFAULT.ECW" keeping the name "DEFAULT.ECW".

Reply 17 of 24, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-08-02, 10:32:
Yes, but the echoed messages sound like simple information, not like a warning ( I mean there is no emphasis on that you actual […]
Show full quote

Yes, but the echoed messages sound like simple information, not like a warning ( I mean there is no emphasis on that you actually have to use another ecw file for normal Midi operation).
As a compromise 😀 :
ECHO This means it contains only piano and no drum kits at all.
ECHO If you want to use Midi you should use another ECW wavetable file.
ECHO Find one and replace the default wavetable file "C:\SBA2ZS\DEFAULT.ECW" keeping the name "DEFAULT.ECW".

No worries, that can be easily fixed. I was in wait for about two days for suggestions to change/fix the batch-script - see upper posts 😀

P.S. I have these .ECW files:
2mg4.ecw
default.ecw (2.2MB - maybe a copy of 2mg4.ecw)
dostest.ecw <- this one is only for tests as already we've commented
eapci2m.ecw
eapci4m.ecw
eapci8m.ecw

Which one is the most suitable for use?

Reply 18 of 24, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-08-02, 10:37:
.... P.S. I have these .ECW files: 2mg4.ecw default.ecw (2.2MB - maybe a copy of 2mg4.ecw) dostest.ecw <- this one is only for t […]
Show full quote

P.S. I have these .ECW files:
2mg4.ecw
default.ecw (2.2MB - maybe a copy of 2mg4.ecw)
dostest.ecw <- this one is only for tests as already we've commented
eapci2m.ecw
eapci4m.ecw
eapci8m.ecw

Which one is the most suitable for use?

AFAIK, the 2 MB versions are all the same. They contain the 128 GM capital tones + 1 MT32 comaptibility bank.
The 4MB version is the same as the 2MB feature wise but theoretically contains better quality samples.
The 8 MB version has full GS support (meaning it has Roland compatible variation tones besides the 128 GM tones).
I think the 4MB version is the least relevant. If you want to saves storage space then the 2MB ecw files have the same feature set as the 4MB one and the 4MB one has no so much better quality.
The 8MB one is the best but of course it has a price in terms of storage space.

Reply 19 of 24, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-08-02, 11:09:
AFAIK, the 2 MB versions are all the same. They contain the 128 GM capital tones + 1 MT32 comaptibility bank. The 4MB version is […]
Show full quote

AFAIK, the 2 MB versions are all the same. They contain the 128 GM capital tones + 1 MT32 comaptibility bank.
The 4MB version is the same as the 2MB feature wise but theoretically contains better quality samples.
The 8 MB version has full GS support (meaning it has Roland compatible variation tones besides the 128 GM tones).
I think the 4MB version is the least relevant. If you want to saves storage space then feature wise the 2MB ecw files have the same feature set as the 4MB one and the 4MB one has no so much better quality.
The 8MB one is the best but of course it has a price in terms of storage space.

Thanks for the clarification. I also suspected that "eapci8m.ecw" is the best choice and now it is clear.

I'm just thinking... arj, pkzip (for DOS)... maybe somehow I have to try to make DOS-self-extractable-archive with .ECW (2.2MB or 4+MB) with size that will fit on one floppy disk alongside with other initialization and setup files.

I'm open for suggestions.

P.S. Forget it. Just tried to zip 2.2MB ECW file and the archive size is 2MB. I expected the ECW to be in some compressed form and maybe really it is. I'll just change the warning messages in installation batch-script.