VOGONS

First post, by 1strail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has either of these cards and what's been your experience. Found on Tindie here:

https://www.tindie.com/stores/kdehl/

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not me yet, sadly. But I think the microphone input is cool.
I remember using Wave Recorder in Windows 3.1x back in the day (has SB 1.5 driver).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 13, by TOMMY_THE_DOG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought Sweish David's Blaster 1.5 replica. I live in the United States. The build quality seems nice, but I am probably not the best judge. I jumpered mine to output line level and have tried a handful of games in my IBM MMX desktop.

It sounds fantastic. I have never had a real OPL2. Ive had countless OPL3s and a couple of Solo1s, even one of the good Crystal FM solutions. But this was a new thing for me. The Apogee opening jingle sounds better than I have ever heard it. Lemmings was nice. Even voice samples sounded great. I didn't know what to expect, but I played Star Trek 25th and also Duke Nukem 2 and 3D. Things not only sound great, but the different channels all seem to be mixed more appropriately than what I have heard rendered from other cards. Also I tried Jazz Jackrabbit and was a bit surprised by how nice and sharp the music was.

Also it needs no drivers! That made a difference to me in DOS7. It can be hard to have enough conventional memory to run Trek 25th.

The whole machine hard crashes when I try to play Fate of Atlantis. I do not know why

Reply 4 of 13, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TOMMY_THE_DOG wrote on 2023-07-18, 17:16:

I uploaded some samples to the YouTubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez62mlUWSMM

Thanks for posting! Just a note but Jazz Jackrabbit doesn't use OPL2 (FM synth). It's tracker music that uses digital samples.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 13, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just recently order the SB 1.5 clone. While I have a real SB 1.5 with CMS, I find it noisy as hell.

I'm curious to see how the clone compares and if it provides cleaner output.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 13, by TOMMY_THE_DOG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-07-18, 17:36:
TOMMY_THE_DOG wrote on 2023-07-18, 17:16:

I uploaded some samples to the YouTubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez62mlUWSMM

Thanks for posting! Just a note but Jazz Jackrabbit doesn't use OPL2 (FM synth). It's tracker music that uses digital samples.

I had no idea about Jazz. It sure sounds good. I uploaded a few other samples as well. They all feature this card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FanPB7_Z6iQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSmjljQQg8Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbcxprRm_P0

Reply 7 of 13, by 1strail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great feedback! The only complaint I have, and I haven’t yet determined if it’s even the sound cards fault, is when I turn everything off, there is a faint buzzing sound and that’s with the speakers at 75%. If I unplug the audio cable from the sound card, it goes away same if I pull the plug from the IBM 350 I have it installed in. Trying a different non PnP tonight to see if it’s the card or something in the PC.

Other than that, it sounds fantastic and the perfect compliment to my Roland midi’s. I did remove those from the equation to make sure it wasn’t that since both the midi and the sound card plugs into by Bose computer speakers, different jacks.

Reply 9 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
1strail wrote on 2023-07-20, 20:59:

Great feedback! The only complaint I have, and I haven’t yet determined if it’s even the sound cards fault, is when I turn everything off, there is a faint buzzing sound and that’s with the speakers at 75%. If I unplug the audio cable from the sound card, it goes away same if I pull the plug from the IBM 350 I have it installed in. Trying a different non PnP tonight to see if it’s the card or something in the PC.

Other than that, it sounds fantastic and the perfect compliment to my Roland midi’s. I did remove those from the equation to make sure it wasn’t that since both the midi and the sound card plugs into by Bose computer speakers, different jacks.

Hi, maybe that's a ground loop or related issue?
If so, one workaround would be to use galvanic insulation.
Two capacitors in-between the L/R wires should do (one per channel in series, roughly 1uF).
Cleaner approach would be to use two 1:1 AF transformers (AF=audio frequency) in-between. Or an opto-coupler.
The parts can be found in any Radio Shack type of store, but maybe there are also ready-made devices for sale.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
1strail wrote on 2023-07-21, 15:57:

I was also thinking of getting a hardware mixer like a mackie 5 channel which might at least mask the buzzing when every thing is off. It’s very slight.

Maybe that's caused by a tiny bit of DC on the audio cable?
If so, galvanic insulation would block that DC, too.

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
1strail wrote on 2023-07-21, 15:54:

I wondered about the stereo. I thought the older SB 1.5’s were mono, but they clearly have 2 jumpers for amplified vs. line out. I’ll look around for the ready made devices you mentioned.

The SAA1099s for C/MS compatibility are stereo.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC