VOGONS

First post, by mrtandy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

New user to Vogons so thank you for having me along.

A while ago I was curious about which ISA sound card was in my Pentium 166 system as it could do General Midi / OPL3 Midi and WSS. I pulled the card out and the FCC ID on the card looks bogus. FCC MA5A SOUND APPROVED. Certainly, does not sound legit. The main chipset reads YMF719-S. General Midi reads YMF704C-S. Markings on the card with ASound Pro but I cannot find anything to match.

I'm trying to identify the card so I can find which model/make and age it is as well as the appropriate drivers for the card. I have quite a few soundcards in my collection and have used many in the 90's but never come across something like this. Wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

Thanks for your reply's

PXL_20230711_223037244.jpg
Filename
PXL_20230711_223037244.jpg
File size
904.31 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You use the generic YMF71x drivers, there are no specific ones for any of the cards that bear these chips (Yamaha did not make any of the cards, they only made the chips). The CD that comes with this card has some ancient version of generic drivers too, it is best to use the final driver from Yamaha (I attached it to this post).
For pure DOS only use you can also use my SETYMF utility, which is more comprehensive and easier to use than Yamaha's SETUPSA (that the attached driver can install if you use the installer instead of adding new hardware via INF files).
SETYMF can be had from here : Re: T-04YBSC-A, new YMF71x based sound card + SETYMF utility

Attachments

• Filename
    YMF95.RAR
    File size
    3.06 MiB
    Downloads
    34 downloads
    File comment
    Yamaha's final driver for Win9x+DOS
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 6, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an interesting little card - you don't see many with an OPL4 onboard. Should be fun.

@Tiido - indeed I really like SETYMF, but I don't use it because I couldn't work out how to configure it in a way that takes care of the mixer bug described in the first post of this thread: Yamaha YMF71x SB Pro Mixer Bug Issue Fix

Can SETYMF configure these generic cards to fix that issue?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it is supposed to work with all YMF71x chips (711, 715, 718, 719). It is supposed to take care of the SB mixer issue though...

And as far as the YMF704 on the Asound goes, it is connected to MIDI TX signal and will play whatever is sent to YMF71x MPU port. It should be controlled by same input that OPL3 is controlled by.

Reply 4 of 6, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2023-07-12, 02:22:

It is supposed to take care of the SB mixer issue though...

I tried it again and yes it does indeed take care of that mixer issue, sorry Tiido!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is good to hear ~