VOGONS

First post, by jnnelson79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone!
I have a Sound Blaster 2.0 CT1350B sound card in my Tandy 1000 TL/2. It’s working great, but it does render the Tandy DAC inoperative. The computer freezes anytime I try to use the Tandy DAC now. I’m assuming it’s a DMA conflict as the Sound Blaster is on IRQ 5, and the Tandy DAC is supposedly on IRQ 7 according to some research I’ve done.

There is a jumper setting on the CT 1350B called JP3 that says it’s for DMA control. The manual says do not remove. Im wondering if I remove it, will the OPL2 FM chip still work and inactivate the Sound Blaster DAC allowing the Tandy DAC to work. Would removing the JP3 jumper damage the card or system in any way, or would it just disable the DAC or maybe the entire card?

There is also a DMA sharing jumper setting that I might try, but I don’t know how well DMA sharing would work in this situation.

You may be wondering why I want to disable the Sound Blaster DAC, and the truth is… I don’t. I just want both to work together if possible. However, I do enjoy the Tandy DAC for nostalgic purposes since I grew up with this system. My main goal in getting the Sound Blaster was to have OPL2 FM sound as well as a standard game port all on one card. I couldn’t find just an Adlib clone that had a game port, and I was honestly hoping the Sound Blaster would work anyway.

I’m thinking there probably aren’t that many games that will run on a Tandy Graphics 286 that have sound blaster DAC anyway.

Reply 1 of 2, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The OPL2 will still work as it does not rely on DMA. I'm not familiar with DMA sharing, but my guess is it would work if you didn't try to use both at the same time.

I think you'd be surprised how many games have SB1/2 sound effects that will run on that system.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.