VOGONS

First post, by 1strail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I went all out and bought a lot of stuff which is tricking in. I think I have the components to actually get a game working, but before I start plugging wires in, I wanted to check with the experts. What I have:

1.) An IBM 350 with ISA Slots, 486/DX2 66mhz - DOS 6.22 with several games installed on the HD, one of which of course is Monkey Island
2.) A Roland MPU-401 breakout box (this is for the MT-32 which has not yet arrived). This is the older, big, external box with DB-25 cable
3.) An MIF IPC B - new 8 bit Low Tech clone interface card for the MPU-401
4.) A Roland Sound canvas SC-55 MKII

I do not yet have a sound card, but I think with what I have , I might be able to play a game with MIDI sound.

My thought was to insert the interface MIF IPC B card into the PC -> 25 pin cable -> MPU-401->MIDI Cable->SC-55 mkII->powered speakers. Run Monkey Island.

Will this work? Comments appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That will work, but there is one more thing. You'll need to set the Sound Canvas to MT-32 compatibility mode. This is because Monkey Island only supports the Roland MT-32 and not General MIDI.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 4, by 1strail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
1strail wrote on 2023-07-14, 16:49:

Connected it all up and it worked! Though I think my midi input #1 is not functioning. It will only play using the front Midi #2 port.

Might help if I move the switch in the back from RS432 to Midi 😂