VOGONS

First post, by seathasky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I am a recent thin client purchaser and wondering if anyone here can recommend a working PCi sound card for both dos and 98 games for the t5710.

VIAFMTSR is basically causing crashes and slow downs when using ps/2 mouse... otherwise would be fine and id probably just look into a GPU. Is there a solution to this maybe?

I also couldn't find much information on this on these forums outside of some people testing a few cards. Just curious if this is worth doing in the first place or if I should put something else in the PCi slot. Maybe a GPU perhaps?

I mainly play fps shooting games like HL, Unreal, Quake, Ultimate Doom, Duke3D, Hexen/Heretic etc...some other games like Warcraft , Lemmings too

Appreciate the help in advance!

Reply 1 of 8, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also have a T5710 but don't have the issues you mention. But anyways you can't go wrong with the usual recommendations like these 2:

• Advance Logic ALS4000 (PCI)
  • ESS ES1938S Solo-1 (PCI)

Have them both and they work great. Don't have a preference so would buy the cheapest one you can find.

Reply 2 of 8, by seathasky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yoghoo wrote on 2023-07-16, 16:50:
Also have a T5710 but don't have the issues you mention. But anyways you can't go wrong with the usual recommendations like thes […]
Show full quote

Also have a T5710 but don't have the issues you mention. But anyways you can't go wrong with the usual recommendations like these 2:

Have them both and they work great. Don't have a preference so would buy the cheapest one you can find.

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask which version of the T5710 do you own? 800mhz or 1200mhz version?

Reply 3 of 8, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
seathasky wrote on 2023-07-16, 20:00:
Also have a T5710 but don't have the issues you mention. But anyways you can't go wrong with the usual recommendations like thes […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask which version of the T5710 do you own? 800mhz or 1200mhz version?

I got the 800 mhz one.

Reply 4 of 8, by seathasky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yoghoo wrote on 2023-07-16, 20:22:
seathasky wrote on 2023-07-16, 20:00:
Show full quote

I got the 800 mhz one.

Good deal. I'll try and pick up one of the sound cards you suggested. Thanks for the help

Reply 5 of 8, by seathasky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

Looked around for these cards on ebay and amazon, they are pretty much impossible to purchase in my country. Any other recommendation? I live in North America.

Reply 6 of 8, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
seathasky wrote on 2023-07-18, 12:33:
Show full quote

Looked around for these cards on ebay and amazon, they are pretty much impossible to purchase in my country. Any other recommendation? I live in North America.

Maybe someone else knows anything else but the ESS Solo-1 is quite common so should be available I guess (or set an alert on Ebay). There are some variants so don't only search for the one I have (ES1938S ).

Reply 8 of 8, by seathasky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Robbbert wrote on 2023-07-18, 12:53:

You're lucky with your T5710 - I had 3 of them ex-work. When I eventually got to try them out, all 3 were dead and had to be binned.

I grabbed mine from Ebay for $60

A lot of tinkering w/ drivers, formatting etc to get it working properly but seems to be working fine now. It's still not perfect. Some games have issues with keyboard sticking and running in one direction (Games like Doom)
Not sure why though, i;m on p/s2 kb and mouse via ps/2 splitter.

I will say the t5710 is a nice entry system w/ flaws, but it does make me want to dive deeper into the hobby and build a socket 7 system w/ proper components.