VOGONS

First post, by dontbugster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Packard Bell Multimedia (Pentium 120 MHz) from 1996 had a very powerful Software Wavetable Synth.
It had an Aztech Sound Galaxy which featured this Soft Wavetable only when running DOS games over Windows 95.

I liked a lot on how Duke Nukem 3D Grabbag theme guitar sounded.

What's the closed sf2 file I could get that kind of emulates such sounds? I tried Roland SC55, which sounds closer than others, but still, the guitar is a bit less distorted.

Reply 1 of 3, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't recall soundfonts being supported on any Aztech based cards.

Most likely, you had an earlier version of Yamaha's XG SoftSynth (or something similar) installed under Windows which is how you were able to playback GM soundtracks of your DOS games through Windows.

Although there are software implementations these days that supports soundfonts, back in 1996/1997 your only hardware that supported soundfonts (from a PC gaming perspective) was Creative's AWE range of sound cards.

Reply 2 of 3, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i bet your aztech software synth was the brooktree/rockwell/conexant wavestream synthesizer. it was bundled with several of the win9x drivers from soundcards i own across different vendors. i'm thinking you could somehow install it independently as it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular hardware when i switch out cards. there's even an earlier version of the brooktree vxd files buried in the win98se cabs.

Reply 3 of 3, by dontbugster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2023-07-18, 18:30:

I don't recall soundfonts being supported on any Aztech based cards.

Most likely, you had an earlier version of Yamaha's XG SoftSynth (or something similar) installed under Windows which is how you were able to playback GM soundtracks of your DOS games through Windows.

Although there are software implementations these days that supports soundfonts, back in 1996/1997 your only hardware that supported soundfonts (from a PC gaming perspective) was Creative's AWE range of sound cards.

No, I didn't expect that the Aztech was actually a SF2 based card like my much newer creative PCI-E has. I meant that if somehow it was 'emulated' in a Sf2 file.

stanwebber wrote on 2023-07-19, 08:40:

i bet your aztech software synth was the brooktree/rockwell/conexant wavestream synthesizer. it was bundled with several of the win9x drivers from soundcards i own across different vendors. i'm thinking you could somehow install it independently as it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular hardware when i switch out cards. there's even an earlier version of the brooktree vxd files buried in the win98se cabs.

mmm that's interesting!