VOGONS

First post, by doublebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am confused about "Sound Blaster compatibility", there are at least compatibility standards of SB, SBPro2.0, SB16, and AWE32/64. I know AWE synth, that makes sense, some games use that feature. SB is mono, so SBPro2.0 means probably stereo. What are the differences between the other cards, especially the difference between SB16 and SBPro2.0?

EDIT: I just read that AWE is not SBPro compatible, what the..? I thought SBs are backwards compatible at least. Why would Creative design a card that isn't compatible with their own legacy cards and all the software which supported them, doesn't make any sense.

Reply 1 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You get 16-bit sound sampling with a SB16, while the SBPro 2.0 is an 8-bit card. In practice, this doesn't make that much difference for DOS gaming, other than in some late-era titles like Crusader: No Remorse. On the flip side, the SBPro has a different low-pass filter which can make some older games sound nicer by making the output slightly smoother. The prime example of this would be "talkie" adventure games from the early '90s which used digitized voice recordings.

Additionally, the SB16 is not fully backward compatible with the SBPro, with regards to stereo support. This rarely comes into play though. Only a handful of games support SBPro stereo while not supporting the SB16 natively. There are other differences between various Sound Blaster cards, and most of them are documented in this Wikipedia article.

Lastly, there are a number of bugs which affect SB16 cards, but are not applicable to SBPro cards. You can read more about that in this thread: Sound Blaster 16 Bugs and Deficiencies Summary

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
doublebuffer wrote on 2023-07-18, 10:52:

What are the differences between the other cards, especially the difference between SB16 and SBPro2.0?

The most important difference is that SB16 (includes the AWE) do support 16-bit mixing and comes with an MPU-401 compatible interface, while the SBPro lacks both of them. Note that the advantage of 16-bit mixing in DOS comes to play with late games and multimedia software. The MPU-401 compatible interface isn't perfect, and several variants suffer from the infamous hanging-note bug. I recommend checking the link about the SB16 bugs and deficiency that Joseph_Joestar put for more info.

Another one is the low-pass filter implementation that the SBPro (most compatible clones lack this, though) has which is simple and works well with sample rates below 11 KHz. SB16 does have a brick-wall filter implementation that does a better job with higher sample rates instead.

EDIT: I just read that AWE is not SBPro compatible, what the..? I thought SBs are backwards compatible at least. Why would Creative design a card that isn't compatible with their own legacy cards and all the software which supported them, doesn't make any sense.

This is overstated and something that I wouldn't worry about it. There are very few games that supports the digitized stereo method of the SBPro but not the SB16 one.

Furthermore, the SBPro-compatible clones are more susceptible to getting the left and right channels swapped than the real thing.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-07-18, 14:07:

Another one is the low-pass filter implementation that the SBPro (most compatible clones lack this, though) has which is simple and works well with sample rates below 11 KHz.

From my testing, it seems that at least the OPTi 82C930 and the ESS AudioDrive 1868F have a functional low-pass filter in SBPro mode. It can't be turned off via software though, nor is it automatically disabled when higher sample rates are used.

The Yamaha YMF719E-S doesn't filter its output by default, but this can be solved through a hardware mod. After the card has been modified, the filter can be turned on/off via software and it also gets disabled automatically when high sample rates are used, i.e. just like on a real SBPro.

I don't have any Crystal based cards, so I can't speak for those. Also, I'm not sure if my Avance Logic ALS100 and CMI8330 had the low-pass filter or not. It's been a while since I used either card, and they are currently sitting in storage.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To make matters more complicated, there are two types of "Stereo" on SB Pro.
One is provided my using a real stereo PCM stream, the other by panning a mono stream to hard left/hard right using SB Pro mixer.

Last, but not least, SB Pro 1.0 uses two OPL2 chips, while SB Pro 2.0 uses an OPL3..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//