VOGONS

First post, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to get Soundblaster emulation working on a Wyse Vx0 thin client under Windows 95. I've thus far managed to get all the other hardware working properly, and also have sound working using some very old VXD drivers (but it only works for Windows sound, I get no sound or music in any DOS games launched from Windows 95). In Windows 98, Soundblaster emulation works fine using later WDM drivers, but I can't get those WDM drivers working under 95. There are some older WDM drivers that appear to install properly under 95 (it shows up without errors in the device manager), but there is no audio whatsoever, and in the Multimedia section of the control panel, it shows no available playback device.

From doing some research, my understanding is that you can get soundblaster emulation to work under Windows with VXD drivers for some different sound cards, but in those instances, a separate Soundblaster emulation device will show up in your device manager. With the VXD drivers I'm using, there is no such device.

So am I out of luck? Or is there some way to either get WDM drivers working or possibly a soundblaster emulation device with VXD drivers? I am using Windows 95 OSR 2.5, btw.

Reply 1 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 2, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I'm familiar with VIA's driver portal. I know I didn't specifically reference it in my post - I thought it would be obvious that I've already tested a variety of drivers with that being the first obvious place to check.

I'm looking for a little more specific information from anybody who has ever had luck with Windows 95 and VIA sound chips. As I noted, it is an issue specific to Windows 95 that I don't have in 98. So I'm either looking for a way to get the WDM drivers working in 98 or to get Soundblaster emulation with VXD drivers in 95.