VOGONS

First post, by bifflog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heya,

Curious if anyone has any thoughts on what might be going sideways here, I walked through the following video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiSM5pUGab4

...in order to set up my Sound Blaster 16 VIBRA PnP card, and all seemed to go very well. When running Diagnose.exe all of the autodetect channels seem to work fine as well as the test 8bit, 16bit, and midi samples, running set shows the properly configured variables for SOUND, CTCM, BLASTER, etc. Unfortunately when running DOOM after restarting to MS-DOS mode, after running Setup and indicating correct values in that util, the game outputs no sound whatsoever. Wondering if anyone has run across this or any advice!

EDIT:

As it turns out, the config file that DOOM setup.exe is supposed to update with the sound card selections was set to read only (doh!). Got sound now!

Last edited by bifflog on 2023-07-22, 19:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried running UNISOUND to configure the card and DOS? Then use correct settings to setup the sound in games.

Unisound:
UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 2, by bifflog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote on 2023-07-22, 06:16:

Have you tried running UNISOUND to configure the card and DOS? Then use correct settings to setup the sound in games.

Unisound:
UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

This could come in very handy, thanks for pointing me toward it,

As it turns out, the config file that DOOM setup.exe is supposed to update with the sound card selections was set to read only (doh!). Got sound now!