VOGONS

First post, by GEOCE

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought a PC Retro in parts, and I acquired a 486DX2 at 66MHz along with an AWE32 CT3990. When I try to run games like Monkey Island 1 or 2, I activate AWEUTIL /EM:GM or /EM:MT32, it loads perfectly, everything seems okay, but the game has no sound, just silence. I don't know what to do anymore; I've checked hundreds of forums. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need something else? I need psychological help.

I understand that when you run AWEUTIL, the MT32 or General MIDI emulation should work, right?

I´m sorry for my english, is very bad.

Thx

image0.jpeg
Filename
image0.jpeg
File size
756.82 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GEOCE wrote on 2023-07-23, 15:09:

I just bought a PC Retro in parts, and I acquired a 486DX2 at 66MHz along with an AWE32 CT3990. When I try to run games like Monkey Island 1 or 2, I activate AWEUTIL /EM:GM or /EM:MT32, it loads perfectly, everything seems okay, but the game has no sound, just silence.

Use MIXERSET to verify the volume is high enough to hear something.

Use DIAGNOSE to test whether the sound card produces any sound at all.

GEOCE wrote on 2023-07-23, 15:09:

I understand that when you run AWEUTIL, the MT32 or General MIDI emulation should work, right?

Yes, that's correct. Check that the EMU8000 synthesizer produces audible sound using the "Test Advanced WavEffects synthesis" option in DIAGNOSE first. This includes less unknowns than running some MT32 game. Be aware the the AWE32 is not able to reproduce "custom instruments" on the MT32, though. The MT32 emulation always provides the default instruments. Nevertheless, even in games that use custom MT32 instruments, you should be able to hear something on the AWE32 in MT32 emulation mode.