VOGONS

First post, by klonopin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if this would be better posted here or in vintage hardware, but this would be sound related.

Being an audio cassette freak, and a fan of old hardware, I've always been fascinated by how they used to mass duplicate cassettes in the 1990's. They used industrial slave recorders that hooked up to computers known to duplication plants as a digital loop bin. The computer would take a digital master, typically from .wav files at 44.1 kHz on a Yellow Book PCM CD , load it into solid state memory, some device, whether internal or external would convert the signal to analog, and it would output the audio to the industrial slave recorder.

There were many companies who supplied digital loop bins in the 1990's. One of which can be traced back to 2 or 3 different companies. Lyrec, based in Denmark, had some digital loop bins, the DM-5400, DM-3300, and the DM-2400. Shown on their archived website: https://web.archive.org/web/20041019111048fw_ … .dk/dm-3300.pdf

The computers they supplied with their digital loop bin systems were supplied by another company called Versadyne, which either branded their systems as Telemetrics, or sourced their systems from Telemetrics. An example of that would be: https://web.archive.org/web/20030813090300/ht … 80/pdf/2000.pdf

They ran a software called Telemetrics Digital Bin, which is hard to find. I found a website that told me the program was called dbin.exe and, at least on a DM-3300, was stored in C:\Program Files\Lyrec\DM-3300\Dbin.exe with an MD5 Hash of 53E32C7D3D1EA4BD7AD1A05CD8AA2FAD

If anyone finds a copy of that software, it would be nice to archive it.

...but that's me rambling.

Anyways, another company made Digital Loop Bin systems. Concept Design, based in North Carolina. Their systems were called DAAD, and were largely what Warner, Elektra, and Atlantic Records used in the early 1990's, branded as Digalog.

The software they used is archived on their website: https://web.archive.org/web/20030201101521/ht … www.condes.com/

On the computers, at least on the DAAD R2, they have what appears to be a proprietary card called the CD 92-3, and a VS-4COM v5.5 card, both of which I don't have.

On eBay, I managed to score two interesting cards from Concept Design, which I'm assuming are related. They are probably of no use to me, but they were cheap enough for me to not care. One is a CD95-11, and the other is a CD 95-17 Sprinter Replacement Board.

My question is, can anyone tell me what type of card slot these are for, and can anyone give me an idea of what they think these cards do?

Attached are pictures of the cards.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    Filename
    4.jpg
    File size
    271.69 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Sprinter Replacement Closeup
    File license