VOGONS

First post, by DjAlmada

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

Just joined and hopefully this question won't be too stupid.

I am on MS-DOS 6.22, running a Pentium 200 MMX, S3Virge DX + 3Dfx Voodoo1 and a SoundBlaster CT4520 for sound.
While under Windows 98, I am able to run Doom and select General Midi as music device, when I do it under MS-DOS 6.22, no music comes out.
What am I doing wrong? Is it that General MIDI is being emulated under Windows but cannot be used in pure DOS mode without a physical MIDI device?

I am dropping the AUTOEXEC and CONFIG.SYS contents here for when I am running DOS 6.22.

Thanks in advance for your help!

[AUTOEXEC.BAT]
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL
LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2

[CONFIG.SYS]
[COMMON]
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=40
BUFFERS=40
LASTDRIVE=H
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL

Reply 1 of 8, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes it can be used. For DOOM you need DOS32AWE utility:

DOS32AWE - DOS/4G compatible DOS Extender with Sound Blaster AWEUTIL MIDI synthesizer support for Protected mode,VIASB

/REMOVED

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-08-01, 00:40. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by DjAlmada

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
georgel wrote on 2023-07-26, 16:02:

Thanks georgel for your reply! I will give it a go.
I briefly read the whole situation with that post and I was able to perceive you developed this and, when you needed contribution from anyone that was using it, you had none.
Let me know if there's anything you need from me that I can assist with that.

In any case, without any manipulation such as this utility, I am assuming that it doesn't work as per default, correct?

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-08-01, 00:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no reason to do this when the game already has support for AWE32; Don't pick General MIDI, pick AWE32 instead. With a Value card, you don't really have RAM to load a meaningful GM Soundfont anyhow..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 8, by DjAlmada

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-07-27, 09:37:

There is no reason to do this when the game already has support for AWE32; Don't pick General MIDI, pick AWE32 instead. With a Value card, you don't really have RAM to load a meaningful GM Soundfont anyhow..

I understand that, however, there are older games that do not support AWE32.
For example, the first DOOM does not have native AWE32 support .
While running it through Windows 98, this is possible to select general MIDI and i've experienced no issues.

Nevertheless, the question was around when there's no AWE option for music and if General MIDI can be an alternative.

Reply 5 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DjAlmada wrote on 2023-07-27, 11:19:

For the first Doom, native AWE support was added in a patch. Make sure that your game is at version 1.9.

Some Sierra games also received dedicated AWE patches. Phil still has those on his website. But yeah, it's often easier to use the card as a General MIDI device and avoid this hassle.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
I understand that, however, there are older games that do not support AWE32. For example, the first DOOM does not have native A […]
Show full quote

While running it through Windows 98, this is possible to select general MIDI and i've experienced no issues.

Nevertheless, the question was around when there's no AWE option for music and if General MIDI can be an alternative.

Well, yeah, in those cases it might be an option. But as far as Doom is concerned, that game has AWE32 support.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 8, by DjAlmada

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-07-27, 11:28:

For the first Doom, native AWE support was added in a patch. Make sure that your game is at version 1.9.

Some Sierra games also received dedicated AWE patches. Phil still has those on his website. But yeah, it's often easier to use the card as a General MIDI device and avoid this hassle.

Thanks for the tip! I will look around for the 1.9 version!

Reply 8 of 8, by DjAlmada

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-07-27, 12:05:
I understand that, however, there are older games that do not support AWE32. For example, the first DOOM does not have native A […]
Show full quote

Well, yeah, in those cases it might be an option. But as far as Doom is concerned, that game has AWE32 support.

It seems that my version doesn't as it was added through a patch later. I guess that's what's leading me to say it doesn't 😖!

Thanks for the response!