VOGONS

First post, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have now a descent number of ISA sound cards on my collection, but I keep coming back to this ES1869F card, it just sounds clean, compatibility is spot on and I actually like the ESS FM implementation better than the real Yamaha OPL. The fact that is supported flawlessly by Unisound is another bonus.

Anyway, the question is, can I just solder the missing pins on this Compaq Premier card so I can use it with a wavetable MIDI card or more components would be necessary?

Thanks

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    229.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately it is not using normal WaveBlaster header pinout so it will take some effort to get this card to be able to take normal WB cards on it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by Dorunkāku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can add a wavetable connector to this board.
It is not clear to me which smd components you have to add to route the audio out from the wavetable card to the ESS chip.
Earlier thread about this: Compaq "ES1868 Audio Feature Board" ESS Audiodrive Card Wavetable Header

I guess you can use 0 Ohm resistors for R48 and R49 and 220nF capacitors for C20 and C21.

Edit: I looked at some pictures of the back side of the card an now I am pretty sure that is going to work. Remember to unmute the AUXB input in the mixer.

Reply 3 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The one in that thread is different from the one in first post here with ESS chip in place where the speaker amp is on this one. When I looked its rear side it is clear it uses completely different pin arrangement :

Clipboard01.jpg
Filename
Clipboard01.jpg
File size
92.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜