VOGONS

First post, by william9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got this card and now trying to test whether or not it is working. Apparently Power Color branded (sticker on the back).

Tried it in Windows 98 + Asus A7v133-c combination, installed drivers but in device manage FM801 PCI audio appears twice and one of them has exclamation mark. No sound from headphones and recording is also impossible.

Linux detects this card, it can be seen if I type LSPCI but I can't select it as output device as it doesn't appear on sound settings list. Using latest Ubuntu LTS.

Windows 10 detects it but can't find any drivers.

One thing which I noticed that PCI connector does have some scratches, there is continuity when I tested with multimeter. Pictures attached.

What could I try or is it just a damaged card? I got this and some other parts from random pile heading for recycling, so far this seems to be the only component from that pile which may be faulty.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 1, by william9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is something wrong with the card, today I found another one of these and there are no issues with it using driver I downloaded from Vogons. With the problematic card using the same driver everything shows up correctly in Device Manager but there simply is no sound, I have tried other drivers and all of them have their own problems. These cards were not stored properly since they were heading to recycling, in addition to those obvious "scars" there could be small hard to see damages in components.