VOGONS

First post, by kickloch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there Vogons,
I have an interesting, yet annoying problem here with my AWE64. It always mutes itself in MS-DOS after having run any game.
Situation is as follows: I boot into MS-DOS running the Mixerset utility in the autoexec.bat to set volume levels at maximum. Then I start a game, no matter if it be Duke3D, Boppin or whatever and the sound works fine. Then I finish the game and start another one and there will be no sound. If I run the Mixerset utility I can see that the Master volume is set to zero. So I ramp it back up again, click SAVE and exit. If I immediately run Mixerset again it will still be set to zero, so basically I cannot change it at all. However if I reboot the machine it will work again for one game and then the issue will be back again. Also, in the ctmix.cfg under the LOAD section it always reads /MA:0;0;50. Changing this to MA:255 won't do anything. If I run Mixerset and without even clicking on save there will be MA:0;0;50 again in the ctmix.cfg.
Does anybody know this issue? It's freaking me out already. Thanks in advance!

Regards
kickloch

Reply 1 of 2, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried setting the ctmix.cfg's attributes to +r? Not quite as a fix but as a juryrig, perhaps..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 2, by kickloch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just tried this, the values in the ctmix.cfg now persist, however the master volume will still be set to zero by itself. If I now run mixerset /MA:255;0 it says Master volume Left:255 Right:255 then I run it without any argument and it shows master volume zero. What the heck. I am running Mixerset 2.15. Is there a newer version available perhaps?