VOGONS

First post, by Andry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to everyone!

I'm testing a bunch of old PCI soundcards in real DOS 6.22 environment.
Most of them works flawlessy, but some models does not work in Lucasfilm games as Monkey Island 2, Indy Atlantis or Day of Tentacle (the only game that ever works is Monkey Island 1).
In these games completely lack sound or horribles random notes (or noises) are sent to speakers.
In all other games I tested (i.e. Prince of Persia, Dark Forces, Doom...) cards works without issues.
Involved cards I discovered until now are based on CMI8738 or ALS4000 chip. I tested these cards on various motherboards with different chipsets / CPU obtanining the same results.

Does someone experienced a similiar issue?

Thank you!

Andrea

Reply 1 of 8, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Andry wrote on 2023-08-04, 08:32:

Most of them works flawlessy, but some models does not work in Lucasfilm games as Monkey Island 2, Indy Atlantis or Day of Tentacle (the only game that ever works is Monkey Island 1).
In these games completely lack sound or horribles random notes (or noises) are sent to speakers.

Cards like that are hit and miss when it comes to DOS compatiblity, but most/all old LucasArts games are also sensitive to CPU speed causing issues with audio. Some of them got updates that fix those issues and some didn't, if you are running a faster CPU look for those updates and/or slow down you CPU.

Reply 2 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For CMI8738 try using the Adlib option for music instead of Sound Blaster. This card's SB emulation is also not 100% perfect, so for digital sound you may not get anything in some games IIRC.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 8, by Andry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-08-04, 08:59:

For CMI8738 try using the Adlib option for music instead of Sound Blaster. This card's SB emulation is also not 100% perfect, so for digital sound you may not get anything in some games IIRC.

Already tried all options, unfortunately same results.

Reply 4 of 8, by Andry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sombrero wrote on 2023-08-04, 08:58:

Cards like that are hit and miss when it comes to DOS compatiblity, but most/all old LucasArts games are also sensitive to CPU speed causing issues with audio. Some of them got updates that fix those issues and some didn't, if you are running a faster CPU look for those updates and/or slow down you CPU.

The slower CPU I used is Pentium 100. Do you mean more slower than it?

Reply 5 of 8, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Andry wrote on 2023-08-04, 09:12:
Sombrero wrote on 2023-08-04, 08:58:

The slower CPU I used is Pentium 100. Do you mean more slower than it?

Yes, some of those updates I mentioned were known as 486 patches because even 486 speeds caused issues.

The update for CD version of Day of the Tentacle says "This is an update to correct problems with missing, poor quality, or intermittent speech and digitised sound in the PC CD version of 'Day ofthe Tentacle' which may occur on P90 or faster machines." in its readme.

Reply 6 of 8, by Andry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sombrero wrote on 2023-08-04, 09:21:

Yes, some of those updates I mentioned were known as 486 patches because even 486 speeds caused issues.

The update for CD version of Day of the Tentacle says "This is an update to correct problems with missing, poor quality, or intermittent speech and digitised sound in the PC CD version of 'Day ofthe Tentacle' which may occur on P90 or faster machines." in its readme.

You are the man, the issue is speed related.

On a fast machine (I'm testing a Celeron 300) both requirements, game patched version and slowdown CPU (i.e. disabling internal CPU cache), are required to get sound with these souncards.
Other soundcards (i.e. SB128 PCI, Yamaha 724, FM801 etc.) works flawlessy also on faster PCs (I tested up to P3 1000).

Thanks for help!

Andrea

Reply 7 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you haven't seen it already, there is a listing of speed sensitive games here: https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … sensitive_games

It also lists recommended maximum CPU speeds for the respective games and/or other solutions.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 8 of 8, by Andry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-08-04, 13:38:

If you haven't seen it already, there is a listing of speed sensitive games here: https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … sensitive_games

It also lists recommended maximum CPU speeds for the respective games and/or other solutions.

Very useful, thanks a lot!