VOGONS

First post, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

From the category of weird (and possibly useless) hardware, I've designed an ISA card that can control the volume of the PC Speaker through software. I created it in 2021 and wrote the software at the same time, but I didn't have time to assemble the card or test the driver until this summer.

I programmed the driver in assembler and uploaded the source code on Github / PC Speaker Driver
For the entire reading, I have set up a new project page on my site at Microelectronics / PC Speaker Driver

I thought this project might be interesting for the retro-computer enthusiast community.
Yes, I know a sound card (even my DIY Audio Interface) can control the volume of the PC Speaker through software. But I like weird hardware. Unfortunately the volume control is not entirely linear, but it works good for my needs. I just wanted to be able to turn it down in some games.

Here are a couple of pictures. I'll try to make a video of the thing in action in the upcoming days.

isa-pc-speaker-driver-pcba20.jpg

isa-pc-speaker-driver-badge1.jpg

isa-pc-speaker-driver-installed1.jpg

Cheers,
A.

TX486DLC / 40 MHz | 32 Mb RAM | 16-bit ISA Backplane | Tseng Labs ET4000/W32i 2 Mb | I/O Interface | Audio Interface | PC Speaker Driver | Signal View Interface
3.5" & 5.25" FDD | 4 x 512 Mb CF | HP 82341D Interface | Intel EtherExpress 16

Reply 1 of 2, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love it because it's so utterly nonsensical. I want to see people do PCM by adjusting the volume very quickly! 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 2, by ALEKS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ha ha, that was my intention as well. I was once reading about weird hardware cards of the '80s and the '90s and there were all sort of instrumentation adapters and external hardware control.
But nothing for the hated PC Speaker.

I thought I'd show it some love by designing a card for it. Up until I heard the Pinball Fantasies soundtrack in the early '90s, played through the PC Speaker, I hated the darn thing completely. After the Pinball Fantasies frenzy ended, the hate came back, even more prominent. Especially when playing Wolfenstein 3-D and Duke Nukum 1, 2, and 3.

😁

Cheers,

TX486DLC / 40 MHz | 32 Mb RAM | 16-bit ISA Backplane | Tseng Labs ET4000/W32i 2 Mb | I/O Interface | Audio Interface | PC Speaker Driver | Signal View Interface
3.5" & 5.25" FDD | 4 x 512 Mb CF | HP 82341D Interface | Intel EtherExpress 16